Sponsored

What wheels and tires for GTPP for track use?

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I have my GT Performance Pack on order and will be taking it to track days and auto-x this summer. There are so many choices for wheels and tires it's mind boggling. Thought I could use some help from others already hitting the track with suggestions on what works and maybe some stuff to stay away from.

What wheel and tire combo do you suggest? Note that I am trying to be somewhat economical and not looking to spend tons of money so I don't want the most expensive wheels. That being said I do want something that will shave some weight compared to the PP wheels and of course something that will hold up. Is a staggered set up the way to go or should I go squared? I would much prefer a wheel with correct offsets, I am not a fan of running spacers. Of course I have to clear the Brembo brakes. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks :thumbsup:
Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
APEX EC-7 is the wheel of choice if you don't want to spend a fortune, get a great solid strong wheel, and look good. 18x10 is on sale right now, maybe still, with APEX. 18" is a track size for these, apparently better tire selection. I use 19x10.5 ET35 Rays Gram Lights (square, no spacers). Rays are expensive, I didn't pay new price... otherwise I'd have APEX. Those APEX wheels will clear Brembos.

Tires... if you're not advanced... just get some summer tires down to 200TW tires like Bridgestone RE-11s. Really, some summer tires are fine until you get good. I get told this constantly... and they aren't wrong.

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
APEX EC-7 is the wheel of choice if you don't want to spend a fortune, get a great solid strong wheel, and look good. 18x10 is on sale right now, maybe still, with APEX. 18" is a track size for these, apparently better tire selection. I use 19x10.5 ET35 Rays Gram Lights (square, no spacers). Rays are expensive, I didn't pay new price... otherwise I'd have APEX. Those APEX wheels will clear Brembos.

Tires... if you're not advanced... just get some summer tires down to 200TW tires like Bridgestone RE-11s. Really, some summer tires are fine until you get good. I get told this constantly... and they aren't wrong.
Thanks. I'll have to check into those Apex wheels. As for tires I was generally thinking performance summer tires would probably be the way to go. I'm sure I'm no where near the point of needing real race tires.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
Thanks. I'll have to check into those Apex wheels. As for tires I was generally thinking performance summer tires would probably be the way to go. I'm sure I'm no where near the point of needing real race tires.
Lots of threads on here about this, but basically a squared wheel setup (18 or 19 in) with 285 width sticky 200TW tires, works real well on both street and track and auto-x.

Thats what I'm running, and it's a huge improvement from stock. MRR M350 wheels 19x10 w/ RE-71R's. :headbang:

Grintch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The SVE GT350 replicas are impossible to beat for the price.
And give you the option to run a wider 11 wheel in the rear (probably will work up front with a big spacer). And in 19 or 20" (none of the really sticky track tires are made in 20" sizes, so that's not an option for a true track rat).

But strength may be a concern. They don't have the proven record on the track like the Apex wheels.

Sponsored

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
FlowForm FF15's are light, durable and ready for the track. I've got a 19x10 squared option to consider, and also a staggered 19x10 and 19x11 set up to go with it. Both fitment wheels are 23lbs or under, so you'll save weight, get a durable wheel with a brand name you'll recognize and trust. Not only that but you'll get a lifetime structural warranty with all of that as well so you won't be worrying if your wheels are going to hold up while you're going over 100MPH+ ;)

Pictured below are 20"s:
16648602885_e4fb1b21e7_b.jpg

16647200881_f35c0f3361_b.jpg

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
I do like those MRR M350's. =)

OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Just looked up the Flow Forms. Nice but a bit more than I'm wanting to spend.

BTM

I redline at 11,000rpm
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Thunder Roadster GT-R / ST3
I do like those MRR M350's. =)
Me too! Very happy with them - looks great, excellent build quality, light, good value, is hub centric, and can accept factory center caps.
28580483622_c41ac92909_k.jpg
28580496492_1ce6a8963f_k.jpg

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
I have a few sets of 19x10 MMD replica wheels that I bought on sale at americanmuscle for $400/set. (also have used XXR 19x9.75 wheels because I'm CHEAP LOL)

They are not the lightest lol (~28lbs ea), but have been strong and durable so far. and CHEAP!!!

I wish APEX made some 19" wheels, those seem to be a great bang-for-the-buck wheel. But for me 18" is just too small for the S550, most 18" 200TW tires are in 35 aspect which is very short for the 3.73 gear. 40 or 45 is just too much sidewall on a "track oriented" tire IMO.

Sponsored
OP
OP
chain

chain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I must note my wife is awesome. I just ordered the car Saturday and of course it'll be a few weeks before it gets here. Told her today I want to spend a couple grand on wheels and tires and she said that's fine. I love my wife. :love:

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thanks for the tips everyone.

I must note my wife is awesome. I just ordered the car Saturday and of course it'll be a few weeks before it gets here. Told her today I want to spend a couple grand on wheels and tires and she said that's fine. I love my wife. :love:
She's a keeper :thumbsup:

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
RE: Autocross - if you are going to run SCCA FS you need to keep your factory offset setup, otherwise you will fall out of Stock category. FYI

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
SVE GT350 19x10/11 set is ~$725 after the 7% off code. They're 24lbs if I recall correctly. I bought the 20s (26lbs) before the 19s came out but will be changing to the 19s this spring. They're flow formed and have a lifetime structural warranty. You'll need to wrap the factory center cap in electrical tape once to make a tight fit in the opening and the paint may be thin, I nicked one (1/8 of an inch chip) with a sharp pick trying to get my center caps off but in 8 months of daily driver use there have been no other paint chips.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Take the caps off when you're actually doing a track day. Otherwise they may melt or soften from brake heat and get spit off and disappear into the landscape. Might even be a good idea for lengthy and enthusiastic canyon runs as well.

Norm
Sponsored