Sponsored

GT350 Tow Hook

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I'm going to have the pan and splitter off anyway when I take the car in to get the recall fix done (...whenever that is). I plan to kill two birds with one stone and add the tow hook then.
You are gonna have the dealer install? I just ordered front and rear hooks and my car was recalled too. I installed the front and rear Blowfish Racing hooks on my '13 Boss....not too hard.
Sponsored

THX 138

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack, 2002 Porsche Boxster S 3.8L
You are gonna have the dealer install? I just ordered front and rear hooks and my car was recalled too. I installed the front and rear Blowfish Racing hooks on my '13 Boss....not too hard.
No, I'll do the tow hook install myself. I plan on taking my car to the dealer for the recall work with the pan and splitter already off. I don't trust the dealer to reinstall the splitter correctly. When I get the car back from the dealer, I'll install the tow hook and then reinstall the pan and splitter myself.

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
I haven't looked yet, but is the belly pan held on by rivets or bolts? I have a lift in my garage, so I plan on doing the tow hook install myself as well.

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I installed the tow hook and had too shorten the bolt that the hook screws into to get it to fit behind the grill. I didn't want to cut the grill. Its still a tight fit. Did you guys cut the grill??

It seems like the bolt and mounting bolt are too long???

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
I installed my ZL1 tow hook last week, it was a bit more work than I planned but I got it on. A lot more parts need to be removed from the front end than I anticipated. I did not need to cut the grill, the pass through aligns perfectly. I like the option to unscrew the hook and remove it with no sign the base is installed.
The front splitter needs to be removed to remove the belly pan, which was the most difficult portion of the install.
Care needs to be taken to remove the shroud and move the mounting location of the exterior temperature sensor. That is the only modification needed.
Putting the car back together was much easier than taking it apart.

Sponsored

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
so, how does this bolt fit thru this hole??

I've had nothing but problems with Zl1addons.

Started with Incomplete shipping of parts.....twice in the same order. Then a defective part that I am still waiting to hear back about.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Any chance we can get a hook painted to match the car ?
According to their website there is an unpainted one available.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track

Started with Incomplete shipping of parts.....twice in the same order. Then a defective part that I am still waiting to hear back about.
They have 2 sizes one fits through the grill the larger size doesnt. Which one did you get?

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350

Mine fits and aligns perfect with the grill, no modification necessary. Make sure you have the right version. You should also get a grinding burr in the kit in case there is flash in the grill that needs to be removed ti fit the bolt. It is in the instructions.

Last edited:

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
i must have the wrong version.

I't been nothing but frustrating dealing with ZL1addons. First got an incomplete kit, now a wrong size.
aaaarrrgggghhhhhhh

Sponsored

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Has anyone actually towed their car with the front or rear version of the ZL1 tow hooks covered here? I'd be interested in seeing / hearing if these are functional without any bending or flex, as that front bracket seems to not have much in the way of structural support.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
I myself think it's a nice looking piece, but as far as using it for its main purpose I'm leary. Pulling from the front corner and relying on 2 bolts is asking for a lot. If some asshole tow truck driver yanks you hard enough you can sure as hell bet it's going to bend the crash beam and subframe horn, that I guarantee you. Why do you think ford performance put the GT4 and FR350S in the middle.
Again it's pretty and it's stout, but the mounting point isn't as strong as people think. To each their own.

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
I myself think it's a nice looking piece, but as far as using it for its main purpose I'm leary. Pulling from the front corner and relying on 2 bolts is asking for a lot. If some asshole tow truck driver yanks you hard enough you can sure as hell bet it's going to bend the crash beam and subframe horn, that I guarantee you. Why do you think ford performance put the GT4 and FR350S in the middle.
Again it's pretty and it's stout, but the mounting point isn't as strong as people think. To each their own.
What do you use?

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood

Rimox51

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
I tried installing the rear tow hook from ZL1addons without removing the rear bumper like the instructions say. Unfortunately there is a rear diff cooler in the way so i need to remove the bumper. If I'm removing the bumper ill go with the watson bar. Hopefully i can return the ZL1addon rear tow kit
Sponsored