DD DRL Boards

dtdazza

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darren
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT TY
Hello Sydneysiders, just wanted to share that if you are interested in getting your DRL done, please check out That Headlight Guy in Facebook (see his work on the Mustang DRL below).
https://www.facebook.com/thatheadlightguy/videos/1321748411193785/

Glad to see someone in Sydney who is doing this.

PM him for more info there if you are interested.
Sponsored

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
So, a question which from reading this thread I haven't seen an answer to.

The ADR's (posted on page 17 of this thread) require DRL's to automatically:
-switch on when the car is turned on
-switch off when the headlights turn on

Does the DD kit enable these two functions?

ryosaeba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White EB Black Roof and Stripes

ADR also requires the DRL to be white. :D

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback, 1928 Model A Ford

While mine still sit in the box near my feet waiting to be installed, my understanding is that we just simply hook into the same wires that the existing DRL is wired to, and hence the new LED DRLs will do whatever the current ones do - and you assume the current ones comply with ADRs.

sharks1in50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hello Sydneysiders, just wanted to share that if you are interested in getting your DRL done, please check out That Headlight Guy in Facebook (see his work on the Mustang DRL below).
https://www.facebook.com/thatheadlightguy/videos/1321748411193785/

Glad to see someone in Sydney who is doing this.

PM him for more info there if you are interested.
Their my lights, have one wired up and installed, fit the other tomorrow. First one works perfect can't wait to get behind the wheel again been almost a week

Sponsored

miro67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 build GT Convertible
Fabulous, when you have them installed I would love to see them in person. I will shoot you a pm.

Erez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
White Platinum GT Manual
So... is the EU version (White/Amber) legal in Victoria from an ADR perspective?

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
GT Black Fastback (Drake)
So... is the EU version (White/Amber) legal in Victoria from an ADR perspective?
ADR is Australia wide, so there may be State specific laws but as far as ADR goes the text says that only two sets of lights are premissable (each set can be a string of lights), they must not be less than 400mm apart, they must dim when
Headlights turn on, and they must cancel when the blinker is on (only the blinking side). So I installed the same ones you mentioned and feel they are 100% compliant because they switch back when blinkers are on and dim when headlights turn on. I also disconnected the bottom DRL's. Here is a short video of mine working in blinker mode.

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
How do I post a video? Keeps saying invalid file type?

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
I also disconnected the bottom DRL's.
Note that as per CasperGT's post, there can be only 1 pair of DRLs, so the original ones MUST be disconnected.

Sponsored

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
I'm half-way through my DRL mod (just glued the cut out piece back into the rear of the headlight), and from my experience so far, I've got the following suggestions for others doing it themselves:

1. When cutting plastic with my Dremel, I usually don't like the plastic melting - but in this case, melting is good because you don't want fine plastic dust floating around in your headlight. The melted plastic sticks to the cut and you can carefully pull it away so it doesn't drop inside.

2. Don't use your air compressor - just use your vacuum with small plastic tubing on the end. I got a bit of dust behind one of the tribar lenses and it is impossible to get out. I also got a few specks on the front of the tribars, but got these out by drilling a very small hole in the very top, front corner of the lens (on the curve, and where it will be covered once re-installed) and inserting a thin piece of wire with double-sided tape on the end to pick up the dust specks. Then sealed the hole with clear silicon. This was highly undesirable, but better than visible specks of dust.

3. I drilled a hole in the middle of the piece I cut out, and put a long screw into it to use as a handle while gluing it back into the headlight. (Tomorrow, I'll remove the screw and put a little bit of black Sika into the hole.) (You've made a big mess of the back of the headlight anyway - what's one more small (plugged) hole?)

4. I wasn't convinced about the security of the wire-tap connectors included with the DD kit, and wrapped them with tape to prevent them becoming disconnected. However, since hearing of Makis's experience with his in Greece, I would recommend doing a professional splice or solder joint (and (dread the thought) if I ever have my bumper off again for any other reason, I will re-do my connections properly)

Good luck all.

Last edited:

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
Just a little tip for you Ian. If you used Sikaflex at all, you wil experience fogging inside your housing when the headlights are on. If this happens dont panic, its the vapours from the sikaflex whilst it cures. What you do is remove the cap behind the globe for a few days to let the vapours dissipate then after a few days just put the caps back on. Also, make sure you check the conections. DD kits have the DRL and parkers reversed in the switchback version instructions.

I'm half-way through my DRL mod (just glued the cut out piece back into the rear of the headlight), and from my experience so far, I've got the following suggestions for others doing it themselves:

1. When cutting plastic with my Dremel, I usually don't like the plastic melting - but in this case, melting is good because you don't want fine plastic dust floating around in your headlight. The melted plastic sticks to the cut and you can carefully pull it away so it doesn't drop inside.

2. Don't use your air compressor - just use your vacuum with small plastic tubing on the end. I got a bit of dust behind one of the tribar lenses and it is impossible to get out. I also got a few specks on the front of the tribars, but got these out by drilling a very small hole in the very top, front corner of the lens (on the curve, and where it will be covered once re-installed) and inserting a thin piece of wire with double-sided tape on the end to pick up the dust specks. Then sealed the hole with clear silicon. This was highly undesirable, but better than visible specks of dust.

3. I drilled a hole in the middle of the piece I cut out, and put a long screw into it to use as a handle while gluing it back into the headlight. (Tomorrow, I'll remove the screw and put a little bit of black Sika into the hole.) (You've made a big mess of the back of the headlight anyway - what's one more small (plugged) hole?)

Good luck all.

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
DD kits have the DRL and parkers reversed in the switchback version instructions.
Thanks for the tip about the Sika vapours.

I've traced the wire colours from the various lights, and found almost no relation to the colours in the DD instructions??!! Did you keep notes on what colours you connected to?

CasperGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
No I didnt but it was that they had the parker and DRL wires reversed in their instructions. If you have problems let me know and I will pull my wheel inner cover off and check for you tomorrow.

Thanks for the tip about the Sika vapours.

I've traced the wire colours from the various lights, and found almost no relation to the colours in the DD instructions??!! Did you keep notes on what colours you connected to?

steerage250

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
Just a little tip for you Ian. If you used Sikaflex at all, you wil experience fogging inside your housing when the headlights are on. If this happens dont panic, its the vapours from the sikaflex whilst it cures. What you do is remove the cap behind the globe for a few days to let the vapours dissipate then after a few days just put the caps back on.
I went straight out to the shed and took the covers off so at least some of the early vapours can escape!
Sponsored