Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
We're having some nice weather here in north Texas between storms. Took the car to work today in sunshine and 50-70 F weather today!

Edit: FYI this is straight from my iPhone 6S+, no editing except for resizing and uploading. Sometimes this phone takes amazing pictures!

Last edited:

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I drive past here often but haven't ever taken pictures. I went for a sunset drive after work this week and thought the evening light would make for a good pic. It's before my time, but this ranch was the set for the TV show Dallas. Only had my iPhone with me and should've parked differently but anyway:

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Differently how? It looks pretty awesome imo lol. You have the front plate bracket? Whyyyyy? I'm trying to figure out how to mount mine cause I don't want it...but I have front plates in Ontario (Canada)...

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Differently how? It looks pretty awesome imo lol. You have the front plate bracket? Whyyyyy? I'm trying to figure out how to mount mine cause I don't want it...but I have front plates in Ontario (Canada)...
I wish I had parked the car at an angle with the front passenger quarter view facing me where I was standing when I took the pic. Blocking more/all of the shade thrown by the car and showing more of the car with the low sun hitting it instead. Thanks though!

Regarding the front plate, the dealer installed it and the splitter before they ever took pics for the ad for this car. It was too late by the time I found it :doh:. My friend and I tried to use it as ammo to get the car under MSRP but they didn't want to go any lower after waiving their ADM. I have my Craig's Custom bracket from my last car that I never installed, ultimately I will switch to it and my front plate will block the holes anyway. Eventually I will make a decision about PPF and stripes, and based on that I will install the craig's bracket and ditch the bulky stock one.

Sponsored

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Ah. I see. Too bad. For the PPF, I installed 3M Pro Series, amazing stuff. Most go with the Xpel ...great marketing I guess.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Ah. I see. Too bad. For the PPF, I installed 3M Pro Series, amazing stuff. Most go with the Xpel ...great marketing I guess.
Here in Dallas many places are pro-Xpel ... I guess since it's from San Antonio (also in Texas). I had the full front end of my GTI covered with Xpel custom cut. I traded my 2016 GT350 in for the GTI to both get rid of the 2016 and to get a cheaper but still fun daily I didn't have to stress so much over (parking, reliability, wife-complaints, lol). Since I plan on having it for awhile, and driving it a lot, I used it as my first car to try PPF on.

It's pretty remarkable stuff, but my installer kind of cut corners. I didn't get as much coverage on the front bumper as I would like. They didn't remove the fender emblems and cover under, they just cut around the emblems. I did get full coverage of the entire hood, and full coverage of the fenders (except for a gap around the side emblems).

For the GT350, especially in a color I love, I may spend the extra money on a better installer to get more coverage of the front bumper. A local friend is having his 2017 Ruby Red car done this week. I'm going to inspect his and see if I like it.

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Here in Dallas many places are pro-Xpel ... I guess since it's from San Antonio (also in Texas). I had the full front end of my GTI covered with Xpel custom cut. I traded my 2016 GT350 in for the GTI to both get rid of the 2016 and to get a cheaper but still fun daily I didn't have to stress so much over (parking, reliability, wife-complaints, lol). Since I plan on having it for awhile, and driving it a lot, I used it as my first car to try PPF on.

It's pretty remarkable stuff, but my installer kind of cut corners. I didn't get as much coverage on the front bumper as I would like. They didn't remove the fender emblems and cover under, they just cut around the emblems. I did get full coverage of the entire hood, and full coverage of the fenders (except for a gap around the side emblems).

For the GT350, especially in a color I love, I may spend the extra money on a better installer to get more coverage of the front bumper. A local friend is having his 2017 Ruby Red car done this week. I'm going to inspect his and see if I like it.
Hey, well, the story between these 2 companies is that XPEL and 3M are in a lawsuit because XPEL supposedly stole the technology from 3M. 3M doesn't release any products to the consumer which haven't been tested for 10 years; so XPEL took the tech and released it like 7 years before 3M. 3M's original release of their Pro Series film supposedly was very, very difficult to work with, but as my guy said was the shit...amazing clarity and toughness. It has undergone many changes and now is very good, and much easier to work with. And imo is a higher quality product. I explain it in my post. Either film is good cause better to have the film than the chips, but I think it's work finding an installer who does both and does both well to get an honest opinion. Some guy who does 90% xpel application vs 10% 3M, probably isn't the best option.

Post #98 =>
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62794&page=7

My guy charges the same for both products (3M is a more expensive film), all his cars are in 3M, his wifes, well, they're in XPEL. hehe

Anyway. Just do your research. I would bother with the web you'll go crazy reading everyone's opinion (like mine lol), better just to talk to the installers and draw your own conclusion.

R

voodoo2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Nice. I like it no stripes too, but not sure I could de-stripe my R...

Do you like your plate position? I wanna hang it there or in the middle...haven't decided because my plates are white with blue lettering so they'd kinda blend into the white stripes.

I have the one from CJ Pony Parts, which mounting bracket is that?

R
Front plate required by state law so I have the plate holder mounted in place of the tow hook.

https://zl1addons.com/collections/t...nce-pack-tow-hook-package?variant=27750876929

https://zl1addons.com/collections/accessories/products/front-license-plate-holder-ford-mustang-gt350
zl add on front tow hook.JPG
zl add on front license plate holder.JPG

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hey, well, the story between these 2 companies is that XPEL and 3M are in a lawsuit because XPEL supposedly stole the technology from 3M. 3M doesn't release any products to the consumer which haven't been tested for 10 years; so XPEL took the tech and released it like 7 years before 3M. 3M's original release of their Pro Series film supposedly was very, very difficult to work with, but as my guy said was the shit...amazing clarity and toughness. It has undergone many changes and now is very good, and much easier to work with. And imo is a higher quality product. I explain it in my post. Either film is good cause better to have the film than the chips, but I think it's work finding an installer who does both and does both well to get an honest opinion. Some guy who does 90% xpel application vs 10% 3M, probably isn't the best option.

Post #98 =>
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62794&page=7

My guy charges the same for both products (3M is a more expensive film), all his cars are in 3M, his wifes, well, they're in XPEL. hehe

Anyway. Just do your research. I would bother with the web you'll go crazy reading everyone's opinion (like mine lol), better just to talk to the installers and draw your own conclusion.

R
I hadn't read any of that before, thanks for the info. Specifically I'm interested in how installers are covering the complex areas like around the black plastic bits below/in between the turn signals, and around the painted bumper areas around the turn signals.

With my GTI I was disappointed with how the installer cut the film in between the black "slats" below my headlights. I don't have a great pic, but there are these 3 unpainted pieces that are surrounded be painted parts of the bumper on either side of the larger lower grill opening. I only got partial coverage in between the slats, with the coverage amount varying in between the slats. http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag217/kairojya/IMG_2187_zpsxdyif5bw.jpg

I look forward to looking over a local guy's car here soon and seeing how his installer did his GT350.

Sponsored

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
I've used these types of brackets on other vehicles, and currently have one like it on my Miata and GTI. I would be interested in using this over my Craig's bracket on my car but then I'd have to deal with the holes in my bumper as the plate wouldn't cover them :(.

Thanks for sharing! Do you have a pic of it installed?

CanadianHorseMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Hey Kyle. Also, I don't believe the GT350 badges on the side front fenders remove either. So don't get them to try that. Pretty sure they're attached with pins or something...it's just not double sided tack adhesive.

kairojya

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Hey Kyle. Also, I don't believe the GT350 badges on the side front fenders remove either. So don't get them to try that. Pretty sure they're attached with pins or something...it's just not double sided tack adhesive.
Good point! On my GTI the side emblems are smaller and just double-sided taped on. I toyed with the idea of removing them altogether, but now if I do that I will always notice the gap in PPF in that area :(

voodoo2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
The fender badge has self adhesive and there are two pins that line up in the holes on the fender:

I had the installer remove the fender badges and reinstall over the PPF. He broke one so he ordered a set and I have a extra one. You can order the badges from Late Model Restoration.

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-16098F/mustang-shelby-gt350-fender-emblem-2016

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-16098F-K/mustang-shelby-gt350-emblem-kit-2016
gt350 fender emblem.JPG
gt350 fender emblem2.JPG

voodoo2017

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I've used these types of brackets on other vehicles, and currently have one like it on my Miata and GTI. I would be interested in using this over my Craig's bracket on my car but then I'd have to deal with the holes in my bumper as the plate wouldn't cover them :(.

Thanks for sharing! Do you have a pic of it installed?
Sorry no pics of the installation but the dealer removed the belly pan to mount the bracket. When I ordered the car they honored my request not to drill any holes on the front bumper.
IMG_5181.jpg
Sponsored