Gt350 hood

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
Forward of the A pillar, none of the OEM parts for the GT 350 fit a regular Mustang.

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
Forward of the A pillar, none of the OEM parts for the GT 350 fit a regular Mustang.
** without fitting/swapping all of the front end parts ** :cheers:

ITLRUN

HiPo Joe
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR186
You do realize there is a Ford dealership that's "local" to you, right? They are perfectly capable of looking up the correct part numbers and pricing info for you. ;)

Sponsored

buggy whip

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford pinto, '16 GT350/OxFo/ Trac/Stripe delete
I'll have a set of those for sale in a month or so as well.
FR3Z-16005-C Right
FR3Z-16006-C Left

I'll let you guys know for sure what is involved with the fender and hood fitment around the weekend.

But the hood and fenders must be used together if using OEM parts.

Are you making a mold from the original you have there ? Looks like the rolled up material in the background is fiberglass or ?

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
We are prepping the OEM GT350 hood and fenders and building initial tooling around them. The hoods where a little rough when we got them. Fenders where much better. Our first parts we make in fiberglass because they will be the basis for the GT350 style part for the regular Mustang. We really wanted to 3D scan them and cut tools, but it cost alot of money to do that up front. As ridiculously labor intensive as this process is. It is cheaper.

That fiberglass hood you saw in the previous post will essentially cut up, and manipulated to fit a my car. That will serve as the basis for the next tool we build.

Todd from Helion does Carbon. He is willing to due fiberglass, and we plan on doing them. However he likes Carbon, works with it in many ways in other industries and makes Carbon parts for a variety of customers. He has hoods and components in IMSA World Challenge, CTCS, and many other SCCA classes.

During this process, we get clone GT350 parts. There is a advantage in performance with the hood do to it's size, specifically with hood flutter. The fenders will have a much smaller, if any performance advantage besides being rigid or a potentially cheaper alternative to OEM parts if you take advantage of the Carbon as a Class A surface and don't paint it.

Last edited:

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
So your not planning on making direct replica parts? So if someone wanted the factory parts but at a fraction of the cost?

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
So your not planning on making direct replica parts? So if someone wanted the factory parts but at a fraction of the cost?
No we will. We get them in pursuit of our actual goal. Bringing the performance advantages of the hood and fenders to everyone else.

I don't plan on building a clone myself. I am actually very fond of the regular Mustang and the Steeda front bumper cover over the GT350 one. And I was real bummed Guard wasn't available in the GT350. But I really like what the hood and fenders offer in terms of aesthetics and performance.

I was fortunate enough to meet Todd. He had already made some parts for the S550 for another customer, and he really liked where the Mustang was going. That was solidified when I left him my car for the weekend. So now we and another coworker of mine are building parts.

The parts we'll offer will be in a similar range as the OEM parts. Volume always wins, Ford is great at it. Furthermore Todd doesn't make low quality parts or tools. His goal is to never have the customer have to do fit and finish work. If you go the Carbon GT350 route, you can the performance of the composites in terms of stiffness and weight, and if the part is cleared, you have no need to spend a few hundred extra dollars to have it painted to match.

What we are offering is more inline for the person who is racing a real GT350. Building a race car using GT350 panels, or the person like me. Who has a regular Mustang.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Ok, so all said and done, the front end would look exactly the same as the GT350, but in carbon. Right?

Sponsored

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Ok, so all said and done, the front end would look exactly the same as the GT350, but in carbon. Right?
Yes if you where using GT350 Carbon parts.

GT350 style parts will be different, but a similar overall look.

Edit: We don't have plans to do the bumper cover. Those pieces are just to prone to impacts.

Last edited:

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
[MENTION=8046]68fbjjz109[/MENTION]

I am curious about the 350's hood fitment on a regular S550. Any chance you could comment on this since I am assuming you have done at least one test fit? I completely understand if you do not want to comment just yet.

I know it will not be a direct bolt on but I am curious just how close/far it is. Areas of concern that I can see are the rear sections that match the fender. 350's curve in more the OEM standard fenders. I would also imagine the front does not quite fit. Is the fender curvature different as well?

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
[MENTION=8046]68fbjjz109[/MENTION]

Iam curious about the 350's hood fitment on a regular S550. Any chance you could comment on this since I am assuming you have done at least one test fit? I completely understand if you do not want to comment just yet.

I know it will not be a direct bolt on but I am curious just how close/far it is. Areas of concern that I can see are the rear sections that match the fender. 350's curve in more the OEM standard fenders. I would also imagine the front does not quite fit. Is the fender curvature different as well?
[MENTION=6944]zackmd1[/MENTION]

Your observations are correct. The hood is close, and looks good from about 15 feet away. However the fender to hood differences between a regular Mustang and GT350 are substantial. Enough so the are it drive lots of misalignment through out the rest of the hood, sides and the front.

We had our sacrificial clone on the car before I took these pictures. We couldn;t lower it because of the hinge studs, which we removed on the OEM piece. So we put the OEM Piece on it to confirm our suspicions.

I also need a new phone it didn't capture half the pictures I took, and barely takes good ones. Maybe I'll actually get a new one tomorrow and take more photos.

In the picture below, the orange overlays are gaps. The blue is physical interference where the hood is resting on the fenders.

The GT350 has much much more shape around the fenders and cowl than the regular mustang. The misalignment from the fender to hood interface causes most of this. What it also does, is drive the hood father forward. So in this picture you can see the hood is some what flush with the front bumper cover.

The hood is about 6mm too far forward in relation the the hinges, and cowl. So there is actually a large gap in the front as well. You can actually kinda see how much of the hood overlaps the headlights. It looks like the angry headlight inserts all the VW guys do. In addition to the gap, the profile is different. The GT350 has more of an arch on the leading edge than the regular mustang.

I am confident there is no changes to the hood fender profile though.

Could you get a OEM aluminum hood to work on regular mustang? Honestly probably not. Not without pouring money into custom body work. As you have to add and remove material. Hope this answers your question.

I will say this. It's a much prettier hood to look out over. And you can see more aswell. Although I have alot of money tied up in it. And there is going to be alot of time an money to get our fiberglass one to fit. To build Carbon ones. I have no doubt it will be worth it to have the same profile, and cut weight and not just a GT350 style heat extractor.
GT.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: