Sponsored

What are your track/AutoX alignment settings?

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I searched around and didn't see much information yet. I would also rather keep this thread in this forum opposed to suspension forum to minimize the non-pertinent data. As we all feel around trying to figure out best setting on our mustang for track and AutoX, please share your alignment settings (camber, caster toe) and as much set up date as possible (wheel/tire size, other suspension mods, tracks ran and how it worked there, etc...). Obviously there are no cookie cutter solutions that work every where, but for the average track day enthusiast, I think we should be able to figure out a baseline and what works and what doesn't. Thanks.
Sponsored

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
There isn't a solid consensus on this yet so here's a range of settings.

Front:
Max negative camber you can achieve within the rules of the class you're in. For FS that's been -2.0 to -2.5 deg depending on what your car gives you with the camber mod allowance.

Zero to -.20 deg toe out in front. I like the car with toe out. Others at or near zero. Call it driver preference and it's easy to adjust on site.

Rear:
Probably -1.5 to -2.0 deg camber. Zero to .30 deg toe in. I feel toe in improves the ability to put the power down.

My toe settings are in terms of total toe, not each side.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Well Im no expert, new to mustangs and only have one autox in this one. (Did the alignment on Friday and the AutoX this morning, but I have some experience with other cars.

Stock 16 GT Premium PP with 1500 miles on the odo

Went with these specs:
Front Camber L -2.3 R -2.5
Front Toe L 0 R 0
Front Caster L 6.8 R 7.1
Rear Camber L -1.4 R -1.6
Rear Toe L 0.11 R 0.11

We did the ford manual front camber technique and used the stock bolts (took less than 2mm to get that camber).

Tire Pressures were about 37 front and 35 rear for the AutoX. Auto X results were good, no complaints. Never spun or got so sideways as to go off course. Hit a few cones pushing hard for time, but most runs were clean and consistent. I never felt handicapped by understeer, actually being my first time out with the traction control off, the car was way more driveable than I expected. I'd go with just a tad bit of toe out on the front for a street car but it isnt darty on the highway or anything. Rear camber seemed fine as I never used as much sidewall on the rears as the front and used less pressure.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Bump this up to see if anyone else has any input on their settings or what they are planning to run.

For me, this is my plan for the road course:

Wheels: Apex 18x10
Tires: Hoosier R7 295/40/18
Tire pressure: I'm going to start around 27F 27R probably and go from there.

aFe/Pfadt Coilovers and sway bars with maximum motorsports camber/caster plates.

Front-
Camber: somewhere between neg 3-3.5 (hoosiers like camber)
Caster: max and even
Toe Out: touch, probably 1/16th

Rear-
Camber: somewhere between neg 2-2.5
Toe In: 1/8th

If my wife doesn't have a baby by this weekend, I'm going to install the coilovers. I'll need probably 1/2in or so spacers to fit the 295 hoosiers in the front. That will also require longer studs. Rears fit fine with stock strut, will confirm if they still fit with rear coilovers without rubbing soon.

First shake down run with bet COTA at the end of February. Will report back then.

Sponsored

c_reber

REB3R
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
`16 Mustang GT (PP), `15 X5 50i
Bump this up to see if anyone else has any input on their settings or what they are planning to run.

aFe/Pfadt Coilovers and sway bars with maximum motorsports camber/caster plates.

Front-

Rear-

If my wife doesn't have a baby by this weekend, I'm going to install the coilovers. I'll need probably 1/2in or so spacers to fit the 295 hoosiers in the front. That will also require longer studs. Rears fit fine with stock strut, will confirm if they still fit with rear coilovers without rubbing soon.

First shake down run with bet COTA at the end of February. Will report back then.
I plan on getting some Apex wheels also (really want to stick to 18's) when I get my `16 GT PP. Probably run more street tires for now.

Those AFE coilovers look really nice, where did you get them, and what cost (feel free to PM me if you don't want to post prices).

I'm planning on some very simliar mods, so just looking for suggestions.

THANKS for the settings on camber/toe!:cheers:

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
I plan on getting some Apex wheels also (really want to stick to 18's) when I get my `16 GT PP. Probably run more street tires for now.

Those AFE coilovers look really nice, where did you get them, and what cost (feel free to PM me if you don't want to post prices).

I'm planning on some very simliar mods, so just looking for suggestions.

THANKS for the settings on camber/toe!:cheers:
Apex is an awesome company that makes a great product at a very reasonable price. I'm going to send them some fitment pictures once I get around to installing everything.

I got my aFe/pfadt coilovers and sway bars from a corvette vendor on black friday. Killer deal! Lesson learned though, aFe actual undercut them by a couple hundred bucks. Not upset in the least as I still got a killer deal. aFe has been great to work with as well. There was a shipping mix up with the wrong sway bar being sent. aFe called me to let me know of the issue and that a new one was on the way. Now to put these coilovers through their paces on the street and track!

NvrFinished

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GTPP
Apex is an awesome company that makes a great product at a very reasonable price. I'm going to send them some fitment pictures once I get around to installing everything.

I got my aFe/pfadt coilovers and sway bars from a corvette vendor on black friday. Killer deal! Lesson learned though, aFe actual undercut them by a couple hundred bucks. Not upset in the least as I still got a killer deal. aFe has been great to work with as well. There was a shipping mix up with the wrong sway bar being sent. aFe called me to let me know of the issue and that a new one was on the way. Now to put these coilovers through their paces on the street and track!
I really have my eye on this setup and can't wait to hear your thoughts once you get things set up.

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP

Front-

Rear-

First off, hope mom and baby are healthy and early congrats on being a dad! Is this the first? I became a grandpa for the first time two months ago and that's been really neat for me.

The alignment settings you listed are right where I plan to start with my new suspension. I will run less rear camber though since I will be competing on street tires. I'll put it at -1.5 to -2.0 and see how it goes.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
First off, hope mom and baby are healthy and early congrats on being a dad! Is this the first? I became a grandpa for the first time two months ago and that's been really neat for me.

The alignment settings you listed are right where I plan to start with my new suspension. I will run less rear camber though since I will be competing on street tires. I'll put it at -1.5 to -2.0 and see how it goes.

Thanks! We are still patiently waiting. 2 days past due at this point. It is our first.

I had a chance today to install my coilovers and sway bars. Ran out of time to do the alignment, but maybe tomorrow.

Sponsored

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
19x10.5 squared
POTENZA -71R 285's
425/550 springs
Bars- F/ full stiff on modded stock bar
R/ BMR soft
Max hot PSI 35

Front
Camber- 2-2.2 (started with 2.75 wanted more but tire temps told me other wise so went back out)
Toe-0
Caster- MAX :)

Rear
Camber - 1.5
Toe- .25 in

SteveW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
19x10.5 squared
POTENZA -71R 285's
425/550 springs
Bars- F/ full stiff on modded stock bar
R/ BMR soft
Max hot PSI 35

Front
Camber- 2-2.2 (started with 2.75 wanted more but tire temps told me other wise so went back out)
Toe-0
Caster- MAX :)

Rear
Camber - 1.5
Toe- .25 in
If you don't mind me asking...what are the hot tire pressures you look for with the RE71Rs?

apex15stangPP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
32-35 hot is where my car likes to be, any higher then that and the tire wear faster.

OP
OP
Brent Dalton

Brent Dalton

Sua Sponte
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP

I spent last weekend at COTA with the set up below(and listed above). I performed the alignment in my garage with a longacre camber/caster gauge, toe bar, and my own bespoke(right, bespoke... or redneck engineered) leveling system and turn plates. The one change to that was I ran -1.9 in the rear for camber. The car felt very neutral with just a touch of oversteer. I think these are pretty decent baseline settings. I was limited on space and was scrambling until the last minute so I forgot my pyrometer(and who knows if I would have had room). Since I didn't come off a hot lap straight into the hot pits and have someone take tire temps, no real data. I did feel the tires with my hand after each session. The fronts felt fairly uniform across the tread and wore evenly. The rears felt warmer on the inside, but wore evenly.

Also of note, the maximum motorsports caster/camber plates maxed out at around -2.5 degrees of camber. I know another forum member with JRZ's also maxes out camber with his JRZ camber plates at -2.5 so I would guess most camber plates will get you around that without modifying the bolt hole or eccentric bolts. After I installed the offset slug in the lower strut mount, upper bolt hole(easy to visualize, right?), I could get pretty close to -4 degrees of camber in the front. Overall, really happy with the mods so far. I have not installed any of the aftermarket bushings, links, or arms so far. I'm sure at some point I'll be under the car checking them out to see what kind of shape they are in. The car feels very stable on track. My issue with the car is it feels less stable on the road driving it at normal, every day speeds when I'm on and off the throttle. Not enough to bother me, but worth mentioning.

Wheels: Apex EC-7 18x10
Tire pressure: I'm going to start around 27F 27R (cold) probably and go from there.
aFe/pfadt coilovers and sway bars
Maximum Motorsports Camber Plates

Front-

Rear-
Sponsored