Sponsored

Are you trusting your TPMS or a pressure gauge?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Reason I ask is because the TPMS reads 2-3 psi higher than my gauge. I'm trying to prevent having the tires overinflated.

What has been your experience?
Sponsored

stang1971

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium Plus Magnetic GT
I have a Matco Digital Gauge and it reads the exact same as my car.

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hmm. Maybe I'll grab another gauge and see if it matches my TPMS or the gauge I already have.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
We've had SO many discussions about this. I'll ask a simple question, are all of your TPMS readings 2-3 psi higher than your handheld gauge reading? I'm betting the answer is yes. The TPMS is just a digital gauge that's value is transmitted to the computer for display. If you had 5 gauges and 1 of them read differently, which would you think is bad?

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
We've had SO many discussions about this. I'll ask a simple question, are all of your TPMS readings 2-3 psi higher than your handheld gauge reading? I'm betting the answer is yes. The TPMS is just a digital gauge that's value is transmitted to the computer for display. If you had 5 gauges and 1 of them read differently, which would you think is bad?
That doesn't mean the TPMS is accurate. A better test is several different gauges and if the differing ones agree. Four of the same is not equal to four of different.

Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
Both sets of my TPMS agree with the digital inflator at the local service station, which agrees with both of my pressure gauges at home....one of which I used when racing karts. 40psi max display, HUGE face (allowing setting in 0.25psi intervals) and checked against several other gauges for accuracy...
YMMV but I couldn't be happier with the accuracy.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I use my pressure gauge which I know is accurate to set the tires cold. I just monitor that with the TPMS. I'm looking for 2-3 lbs higher warm, and that's what I typically see. That's on the street, track use is totally different and way more complex.

OP
OP
DarkestHour
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Both sets of my TPMS agree with the digital inflator at the local service station, which agrees with both of my pressure gauges at home....one of which I used when racing karts. 40psi max display, HUGE face (allowing setting in 0.25psi intervals) and checked against several other gauges for accuracy...
YMMV but I couldn't be happier with the accuracy.
Thank you both for your inputs. It looks like my handheld gauge may be reporting a bit low then. I will just do what TPMS says.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Id read a quality dial gauge over the TPMS every day of the week. TPMS is just a substitute for being lazy.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
Id read a quality dial gauge over the TPMS every day of the week. TPMS is just a substitute for being lazy.
It has nothing to do with the level of effort. digital gauges in general are way more accurate than analog gauges. Can you buy a very accurate analog gauge? Yes, absolutely but you can buy a even more accurate digital gauge. The accuracy of the TPMS (digital gauge) is typically +/- 1 psi which is more than accurate enough for street use.

I'm guessing everyone uses a handheld gauge to fill their tires. I just can't imagine a way to use the TPMS logistically to accomplish that.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
That doesn't mean the TPMS is accurate. A better test is several different gauges and if the differing ones agree. Four of the same is not equal to four of different.
Sure they are, they are 4 separate gauges. Each of the digital TMPS gauges are typically manufactured to +/- 1 psi accuracy. If you have 4 of them reading within 1-2 psi and your dial or any handheld gauge reads differently, it's the handheld that is off...
Sponsored