Sponsored

Trakk Tape

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
I used this product last year when i first got my car and was waiting until i could get into to have the PPF done. I kept it on the car for about 7 days, online they say its really only meant to be on for a few days at a time so i was concerned to leave it on the car any longer. It did however come off with no issues. Full disclosure though, the car sat in the garage as was only maybe driven for 30-60min a day during that period so YMMV if it was your DD and you leave it parked outside in the hot sun.

As far as installation goes the adhesive is quite strong, you really need to be careful about where you do it and ensuring you don't pick up any contaminants on the film and subsequently press them into your paint. Also its extremely worthwhile to pick up a rubber squeegee from an automotive parts store, they sell them in the bodywork section, this will really help you get the air bubbles out and ensure its stuck down, you will have a lot of air bubbles. The last part is cutting the edges, i used an exacto knife but just take your time, last thing you want to do is knick your paint.

The biggest issue i had with this wrap after having it for 7 days was that all the edges started to peel up from wherever it was wrapped around the hood or fenders. Perhaps it was because the undersides of these areas weren't properly cleaned and had contaminants that prevented the film from sticking but either way they didn't hold up, and at that point they actually become problems because when you drive the adhesive side gets folded up and you start to get bugs, dust, dirt debris sticking to the adhesive and if you just leave them it will be hitting off the car.

The last comment i will make is that because of the complexity of our front end, it really will take you awhile to do it properly. For me it took me at least 1.5-2hrs to do it properly and cover all the painted bits, that doesn't even include anything on the side of the car or mirrors, just the front half of the hood, the front fascia and partial front fenders. I only mention this because its not something i leave to the last minute to try and do at the track.

Overall the stuff was definitely worth doing, and for a single track day you really wouldn't experience most of the issues that i had as they were more tied to leaving it on for an "extended" period.

hope this helps.

OP
OP

Cfirekirch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thanks....I'm still on the fence about getting PPF, but am considering the trakk tape for some longer road trips this summer.

CANTWN4LSN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Agree with what's been said. As a temporary protectant to get the car home and to an appointment for PPF works fine and kept the car clean. Came off easily after 4 days and no problem with the stripes. But a pain to put on due to all the contouring and would not want to repeat it too many times. Edges definitely come up over time. Wouldn't worry about bubbles etc. too much as it is pretty good at adhesion and a temporary covering doesn't have to be that aesthetic. 6" X 100' covered front, partial hood, partial front fenders, and in front of rear wheels with quite a bit left over. 3" would be nice to cover some areas on the front. Personally would go with PPF and not put this on repetitively.

Demonic

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Austin
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I used it driving my R up along with east coast back home. It definitely isn't aesthetic on the front end because of the curves. You basically have to cut it into a bunch of rectangles and press them on. It'll look like packing tape on the front of the car, but it does work. The areas around the fenders I did aren't nearly as noticeable though since the curves are simpler. Again though I cut it into about 6-8" long pieces and put the pieces on individually. It doesn't flex around a curve like permanent films do.
Sponsored