Sponsored

Deciding Between EB and V6

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
My daughter is looking to offload her beater Fusion and get a mustang. She's trying to decide between an EB or a V6 (used-she's a student). She thinks she wants an EB for the better fuel economy. However, since she wants to make an money-wise purchase, she is still considering the V6. I'm trying to look at this from a wider perspective. I drove an '17 EB premium as a rental a few weeks back, and was impressed by the performance of the little motor. Fun car. However, I didn't see that great of gas mileage due to in town driving and the ease in which is goes fast. My wife has a '15 V6 that she loves, and seems to get the job done...minus the luxuries that the EBs can be optioned with. However, not driving it very much, and being removed from the Mustang world since I bought my truck a few years ago, I'm just not that smart on which car would be better for her. Sure, the EB has better performance, but for someone that's just looking for a nice-looking reliable car, would the V6 be a wiser choice? I'm not looking to start this thread and have it turn into a 'which is better' thread. I want it to be a 'which is better FOR HER' thread. With your help, I hope that can happen, and you all can help us make the right choice. I welcome all your pros and cons. Thanks!
Sponsored

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
EB Premium!
get her some leather w/ heated/cooled seats and big navi screen.
V6 is just as good, but little bit of creature comfort goes long way for a DD.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I love my V6 and think it is a good practical choice for someone just upgrading their car. Since she's a student she may be better off with a sedan instead though because of hanging out or going anywhere with friends (or use the coupe as an excuse to not be driving everyone everywhere!).

Long term it should also be more reliable because you don't have to worry about the turbos, but that wouldn't be a big concern until you're closer to 100k miles anyway.

If she wants the niceties of leather, power seats, or the touch screen (without modding) she will have to go Ecoboost though.

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
If she wants to make a money wise purchase, she'll keep driving the (I assume paid for) beater Fusion until she graduates.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I love my V6 and think it is a good practical choice for someone just upgrading their car. Since she's a student she may be better off with a sedan instead though because of hanging out or going anywhere with friends (or use the coupe as an excuse to not be driving everyone everywhere!).

Long term it should also be more reliable because you don't have to worry about the turbos, but that wouldn't be a big concern until you're closer to 100k miles anyway.

If she wants the niceties of leather, power seats, or the touch screen (without modding) she will have to go Ecoboost though.
The boost is just as reliable as the v6 stock. There are several F150 Ecoboosts with over 200k miles on the original motor, original turbo, etc. Any modern car should have no issues making it to 150k-200k miles on stock motor.

Gas mileage is a wash between the 2. Ecoboost requires premium gas if you want to feel all the ponies. On the v6, all the ponies sing on regular gas. Coming from a Fusion, she probably won't care about the hp difference on the boost between regular and premium fuel.

Between the 2, I would honestly recommend the v6 for her. The engine is overbuilt and she won't have any issues with it, you get all of its hp on regular gas, and it's cheaper to buy. If she wants a little bit of tech, Moddiction has an entertainment unit that you can buy.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
If she's dead set on a Mustang, you might want to search for her. Dealers are PUSHING the new '17's off the lot - especially the V6 cars, since '18 it will be EB and GT - no V6. Sticker on a base V6 car (base? Power everything, Sync etc) is like $26k. I got mine for less than $22k OTD including TTL. Which was cheaper than pretty much every used EB or V6 car I could find within 100 miles that didn't have 50k+ on it.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Have your wife test drive both! Dont let others decide both cars have there pros/cons. V6 pro would be price.

EB does not require premium gas.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Have your wife test drive both! Dont let others decide both cars have there pros/cons. V6 pro would be price.

EB does not require premium gas.
Who said EB requires premium gas? :shrug:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
V6, for all of the reasons already mentioned.

I will ask you what your daughter thinks of her Mom's car - I'm assuming that she's driven that car a few times.

I'm also going to suggest getting the available female opinion here. Find out in a little more detail your wife's reasons for liking it so much. Including, perhaps, why it might not matter to her why not having certain features isn't spoiling her ownership experience. Your daughter is more likely to think like she does than like a bunch of guys on a car enthusiast forum do.

Good luck.

Norm

Sponsored

sublimaze

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
"Which is better" is always subjective. EB fuel economy is directly related to driving style. If you have a heavy foot, then EB fuel economy won't be much better than V6. But if you don't always drive it like you stole it, then EB will pay off.

My brother-in-law works at a Ford dealership. The master tech told him "EB engines are the best" as far as reliability. Plus, if you/she ever want to get a little more out of EB, the aftermarket support will still be there down the road whereas V6 aftermarket support will likely dry up.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP

Mulestang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang
If she wants to make a money wise purchase, she'll keep driving the (I assume paid for) beater Fusion until she graduates.
Agreed! We never intended to be in this situation. However, the Fusion is turning into a money pit. It's in the shop now with a bad ABS HCU and a/c manifold valve (something like that). 6 months ago, it was the brake booster and master cylinder. Door latch mechanisms...window tracks....ugh! Air bag recall (that they have no parts for). It's always something. If she's going to have to keep pouring money into it to keep it going, when do we decide to ditch it and cut our losses?

z31maniac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Agreed! We never intended to be in this situation. However, the Fusion is turning into a money pit. It's in the shop now with a bad ABS HCU and a/c manifold valve (something like that). 6 months ago, it was the brake booster and master cylinder. Door latch mechanisms...window tracks....ugh! Air bag recall (that they have no parts for). It's always something. If she's going to have to keep pouring money into it to keep it going, when do we decide to ditch it and cut our losses?
That's a legit question.

However, as someone still paying off his student loans (12 years later), I'd really suggest her not buying a $20k+ car while still a student and either working extra hours to pay for it, or using student loans to pay for it.

If you're paying for it, then by all means :)
Sponsored