Sponsored

$50 POS

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
The plan was simple, Change the chrome grille pony for a black one. I read about the stick on ones not holding and the oem version had fragile pins. They both cost about the same so I decided to go OEM.
I took the radiator cover off and removed the hood latch for the most room. The old pins on the chrome emblem broke right off. Not being double jointed and having large hands I found it impossible to get the little metal lock washers on to the new pins and I ended up breaking two of the four off.
Now I had no emblem at all. I tried some Velcro and that didn’t work and because the emblem is hollow inside the tape isn’t going to work either.
I remembered I had some 3M windoweld tar tape which is used to seal windshields to the frame on the older cars. The stuff is 3/8” OD and sticks to anything. I put a bunch of it inside the emblem staying away from the edges and stuck it to the grille. I really held well so time will tell. We use the stuff at work for another purpose and it seems to be good stuff, sticks to anything and remains flexible.
Sponsored

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
The butyl tape for windshields get soft when it gets hot. Better off putting a big blob of silicone on back and push emblem on. Tape down for 24hours. :cheers:

OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
We use the stuff at work for making a waterproof seal between a fiberglass sump basin and an extension if a customer needs an odd size. I’ve had to take these apart in cold or hot and it’s very difficult. It does get a little softer in summer but you still have to pry the pieces apart with crow bars, very sticky and stringy. It seems to hold windshields in place hot or cold.

Sponsored

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
I got my black pony and used the 3M tape. Seems to hold just fine. Been through many washes so we will see

Tucsonturbos

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang ecoboost
Get weld-on 16, it a solvent weld that bonds the plastic together and is solid like a super glue. I use this stuff for salt water fishtank pin holes the hold large amounts of pressure for reference.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
I had the same issue with the OEM black one I got, broke all the pins and then dropped it and it shattered. I got the UPR one with the tape on the back and it stuck just dandy, haven't bothered to put the clips on the pins yet.

One thing to note, the clips for the UPR one with the tape are a + shape and not the hex like the stock ones, so they might be easier to put on since they match the shape of the pins better. Just been very cold like you said and I haven't felt like trying to stick my hand back in there.

OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
Get weld-on 16, it a solvent weld that bonds the plastic together and is solid like a super glue. I use this stuff for salt water fishtank pin holes the hold large amounts of pressure for reference.
The problem with the oem pony is that it’s all hollow in back. There is only a very thin edge on the perimeter that would contact the grille surface and it doesn’t sit very flat in the grille opening.

OP
OP

Grinder67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I had the same issue with the OEM black one I got, broke all the pins and then dropped it and it shattered. I got the UPR one with the tape on the back and it stuck just dandy, haven't bothered to put the clips on the pins yet.

One thing to note, the clips for the UPR one with the tape are a + shape and not the hex like the stock ones, so they might be easier to put on since they match the shape of the pins better. Just been very cold like you said and I haven't felt like trying to stick my hand back in there.
So the upr emblem has tape and pins? Are the pins any better than the oem ones?

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
So the upr emblem has tape and pins? Are the pins any better than the oem ones?
Yes they seem stronger, slightly different shape. But yes it had both tape and pins. Its flat on the back and pretty heavy compared to the stock flimsy crap.
Sponsored