Sponsored

Shaker™ Pro Audio System vs. Premium 9 Speaker System

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
My Premium system has 9 speakers but no sub, and says "Shaker" at the bottom of the stack. I'm guessing that the Sub system shows "Shaker pro"?
My 12 speaker system just says Shaker, next to the usb port, in front of the shifter.
Sponsored

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
The 9 speaker Premium in the 2018 base GT with 301A is not a "Shaker" as far as I can tell, but the Shaker Pro is the 12 speaker option with 400A in the GT Premium.

OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
I completely agree with aftermarket all the way around, you get to choose which products you want to run, better gauged cables, amp, speakers and sub. I have only heard the Shaker system briefly and to me I would spend the extra money for it when I am going to upgrade it all with aftermarket down the line... Good luck and keep us updated with your decision, I would like to see what you chose and why.
I will - thanks.

The infotainment section is full of guys trying to upgrade their systems. These sound systems are complex and you should spend the time to reseach this if its important to you. There are no easy off the self solutions that I'm aware of.
That's a concern - aftermarket stuff sounds great, but I'm leery of someone performing major surgery on a new car. If adding a sub to the 9 speaker system is technically simple and I could find a trustworthy installer, I would be inclined to get the 9 speaker system. Otherwise, I might bite the bullet and simply get the 12 speaker factory system.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
My Premium system has 9 speakers but no sub, and says "Shaker" at the bottom of the stack. I'm guessing that the Sub system shows "Shaker pro"?
Hmm, mine also says Shaker, not Shaker pro so maybe both systems use the same base speakers.

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
U need to hear and decide for yourself. To make a major upgrade of the Shaker Pro is a PIA. Adding a sub to the factory sub, not pretty easy. I'm a stereo guy, I would have done a full stereo delete if I could have. Not sure how anyone here can tell you what sounds good to you.

Sponsored

hlh1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10

WHITTB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2017 MUSTANG GT
i looked at the Ford stereo upgrades when I purchased my new GT. I was not happy with any of their upgraded sound systems. So I purchased a base model and had Car Toys install a new head unit, replace my factory speakers with Focal speakers and a 10"sub-woofer. I could not be happier with the sound it produces. Everyone who rides in my car complements me on my stereo.

You can keep the base receiver and just upgrade your speakers, but it will not sound a good.

It purchased my Base GT for 29,500.00 added a 2500.00 in stereo equipment. 1900.00 For new wheels and tires and an 9000.00 dollar 670 HP Roush supercharger. Total cost of 42,900. That’s just a few hundred above what Ford wanted for a new GT with a PP.

The extra 235 HP is a lot of fun to drive.
This price also includes a 3 year 36,000 mile Roush engine and power train warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP

lpe403

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT
U need to hear and decide for yourself. To make a major upgrade of the Shaker Pro is a PIA. Adding a sub to the factory sub, not pretty easy. I'm a stereo guy, I would have done a full stereo delete if I could have. Not sure how anyone here can tell you what sounds good to you.
How hard would it be to add a sub to the 9 speaker system that doesn't have one? And I mean for an experienced, competent pro, not a DIYer?

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
How hard would it be to add a sub to the 9 speaker system that doesn't have one? And I mean for an experienced, competent pro, not a DIYer?
Easy

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
For the OP, if nothing in the Premium trim is of any value to you at all, then I doubt the Shaker system is worth it for your situation.

Having said that, I've had the Shaker Pro in all 3 of my S550s and I really love the sound and OEM integration. On the 2018s as a standalone Premium option, I think it's a good value. Another thing to note, if/when you go to sell the car, an aftermarket sub could potentially detract value whereas the Shaker Pro will always be viewed as an upgrade and could help with the car's value.

offcamber

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT - Premium/PP
I have the 12 speaker Shaker sound system and what I like most is that you can shape the sound to your liking. I tweak the EQ and center point (sweet spot) until it's perfect for me. There's just more audible frequencies to work with. It wasn't a deal breaker but the Shaker upgrade is noticeable. If you can compare the systems at your local dealer then that would be ideal even if it's on 2017 models.
Any car can be upgraded with aftermarket speakers but make sure it can be integrated into Ford's Sync system for full control.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
I've thought about this in the past when playing around with prices for different builds. I am currently driving with a semi-premium audio system (VW Fender) - for stock, it sounds wonderful, but as mentioned above, you have to take into consideration what your main listening source will be.

I listen to a lot of satellite radio, which has an absolutely awful bitrate. I would imagine that someone listening to the same source in a Mustang would probably notice little difference between the 9 speaker and Shaker system.

When I pull the trigger on a Mustang within the next few years, it's a decision I'll have to make. I'd like to think that I would just turn off the radio and listen to the engine note :)

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
I added the OEM sub to the 6 speaker base system. Gives the base system some good punch at high volumn.

I had a pro do the install but it wasn't that difficult. Tapped into the rear speakers for the signal and used a Alpine mono sub amp. Works out to be about 75W per channel.

I have since added a second subwoofer to the other side. I need to get pics of this.

Worked with one of our vendors to get the parts.

Parts:

[ 6 ] BODY HARDWARE / INSTRUMENT PANEL / SOUND SYSTEM / Woofer
Part Number: FR3Z18808A

woofer SPEAKERS-COUPE, w/branded audio
MSRP Core ? Online Price
$281.06 $0.00 $216.41

[ 7 ] BODY HARDWARE / INSTRUMENT PANEL / SOUND SYSTEM / Woofer bracket
Part Number: FR3Z18807A

5 bracket bolts
1 U-Nut (speed nut)

woofer bracket SPEAKERS-COUPE
MSRP Core ? Online Price