Sponsored

Steeda upper shock mounts help, please

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Today I tried to install my upper shock mounts but couldn't get the factory spacer off the shock. I used Liquid Wrench, even a rubber mallet. Can any of the people who did this successfully please let me know how you did it?

P.S. I was able to get the mount off without taking the shock off - just unbolted the top mount.
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
So from what you say, you can't get the top nut off the shock?
Try this, use a vice grip and grab the shock rod right below the mount, literally right under it. Squeeze it tight.
Then try removing the top nut.
It should not damage the shaft and the shock never fully compresses to that point anyway.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Today I tried to install my upper shock mounts but couldn't get the factory spacer off the shock. I used Liquid Wrench, even a rubber mallet. Can any of the people who did this successfully please let me know how you did it?

P.S. I was able to get the mount off without taking the shock off - just unbolted the top mount.
The spacer stays there.

OP
OP

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Bmac
If the spacer stays & then you add the Steeda spacer how can you have enough threads to screw onto? I saw another thread here where the person called Steeda & they said the OP spacer has to be removed. Am I reading too much into this?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Nothing from the old mount is used, just the shock body.
New mount uses the supplied spacer.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bob_Whit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Chef
That's what I thought. Now, how are you guys getting the old spacer off? Mine is like it's welded to the shaft.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
The OE spacer stays there. I did this install two weeks ago and asked Steeda about this specifically, they said it should be left in place. You should be able to thread the nut on shaft and get it torqued using a strut socket so that you can still acces the shaft to hold in in place with a 6mm spanner. I was able to have the shaft thread completely through the nut, engaging all of the threads. I won't say it was an easy job but it's possible.

SteedaTech

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Q750
The OE spacer stays there. I did this install two weeks ago and asked Steeda about this specifically, they said it should be left in place. You should be able to thread the nut on shaft and get it torqued using a strut socket so that you can still acces the shaft to hold in in place with a 6mm spanner. I was able to have the shaft thread completely through the nut, engaging all of the threads. I won't say it was an easy job but it's possible.
This is to confirm that the O.E. spacer stays in place.

Steeda Tech
Sponsored