Sponsored

Sick to death of people's adaptive cruise control

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
This crap is setting of my radar detector more and more. There's nothing like the thrill of a full strength K-Band blast with no warning and the subsequent expectation of blue lights but it's getting old. Anything I can do about this? Using a Beltronics 200 Pro. Seems like more and more vehicles are using ACC lately. Damned minivans..
Sponsored

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
I haven't used a radar detector in about 8 years. I will say, Waze is the best app in the world. It has saved my nuts a few times.

Drove from Eastern NC to Western NC, down to central SC, and back to Eastern NC in a weekend. Every. Single. Police Warning on Waze was 100% accurate.

Besides, radar detectors only tell you that you've been caught.

Coconut

Poptart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Magnetic manual
I've never used cruise control or a radar detector in my life and I don't I ever plan to. Sorry, I bring nothing to the table. Maybe look into localized short EMP bursts.

Sponsored

moffetts

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
My adaptive cruise control doesn't set off my radar detector, even if I leave K band on. Police around here don't use anything but Ka and Laser, so K is off. Ka false positives are basically non existent here.

yessirrom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT Convertible
WAZE!!!

5LTR550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Efren
Vehicle(s)
2018 Premium GT A10 401a 2017 Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
lol I love adaptive cruise in my stang lol
had no clue it sets off detectors..

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Waze and radar detectors have their place. Ive been saved by both my radar detector and waze separately. Strongest solution is to have both and some common sense, like dont speed ahead of everyone else, making you the very first target and living up to the "only tells you when you're caught".

PatrickHenninger

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Oxford White
Waze and radar detectors have their place. Ive been saved by both my radar detector and waze separately. Strongest solution is to have both and some common sense, like dont speed ahead of everyone else, making you the very first target and living up to the "only tells you when you're caught".
Front door, back door.

Sponsored
OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I haven't used a radar detector in about 8 years. I will say, Waze is the best app in the world. It has saved my nuts a few times.
I don't carry a smart phone anymore, but the last time I used Waze there wasn't much activity around here. I had only had success with it in bigger cities. I live in eastern KY and work and grew up in WV. Has something changed in our area?

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Drove from Eastern NC to Western NC, down to central SC, and back to Eastern NC in a weekend. Every. Single. Police Warning on Waze was 100% accurate.

Besides, radar detectors only tell you that you've been caught.
People like to say that about detectors but it's really not correct. I've had several instances in the past year where it saved my bacon. There's not much "instant on" radar used around here. I generally get plenty of warning. If it's spared me potentially say, five tickets, then the $160 price saved me just under $1,000. :)

Honestly I'm really not big on speeding. I mostly use it to spare me from getting pulled over due to not having realized my speed or when I enter a new speed limit zone without realizing it. I think I've been pulled over 9 times in 20 years of driving an only once was I deliberately going well over the limit.

OP
OP

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
I really was just wondering if there's any tricks to avoid the adaptive cruise control but I suppose that would really come down to the detector model.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I don't carry a smart phone anymore, but the last time I used Waze there wasn't much activity around here. I had only had success with it in bigger cities. I live in eastern KY and work and grew up in WV. Has something changed in our area?
Yes. We discovered shoes.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Hate to say it, but if you want to run a radar detector, then buy a good one. Problem with cheap radar detectors (and by cheap, I mean less than $300), is that they pick up a lot of false positives and for real threats, they're not sensitive enough.

A legit good radar detector isn't cheap, and if it triggers doesn't mean you're caught... so long as you use some common sense. Running a radar detector doesn't give you a license to speed and you have to still be aware of your surroundings.

Waze is good alternative, if and only if your commute is on a heavily trafficked highway/interstate. It relies on user participation, and if no one in the area uses it, then it's absolutely worthless.

A radar detector has saved my butt a few times on empty stretches of semi-rural state highways.
Sponsored