lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible Premium
On a 2016?

Passenger side, on the hood right by the windshield.

I've waxed the car since I got it -

Anything else I can do to stop it from breaking through the paint or take care of it right away?

-- assuming it's rust bubbling the paint - can't be a heat blister can it? Doesn't get that hot in buffalo and why on the edge then?
rust.jpg
Sponsored

Modrodr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Ford has had issues with dissimilar metals for a long time. Aluminum hoods and steel latches etc. My 07 F-150 did it on the hood. My 2012 Expedition did it on the hood and lift gate. All were taken care of through ford, but prior to the 1 year / 12,000 mile mark. Be sure to take it in as soon as you can.

clicklogical

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Convertible Performance Pack
This is the Ford's notorious hood corrosion issue. Take it in ASAP.

Sponsored

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
Can you post a pic from underside of the hood and see if the corrosion started at the seam? My 2008 did the same thing....ford is STILL having issues with this on the s550. The hood is aluminum and there is a bunch of internet chatter about this problem. I hope the dealer offers a free repair.

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
(trying to block the sun with my hand, lol)

So even though I bought it used (25,000 miles; 26,000 now) - I did get the extended warranty - you guys think paint is covered stilled?

What's the gap in the picture? Someone missed a weld or the press that puts the 2 pieces together is screwed up? Or it just separated?
rust2.JPG

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Paint should fall under the 36k/3yr warranty.

OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Yup - just called the dealer.

Doesn't matter who owns it - paint and body covered like [MENTION=25003]wireeater[/MENTION] just said - 3 years / 36k miles.

I'll go first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks guys.

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
Yeah go ASAP and good luck to ya.
I still think this is caused by poor paint coverage on the edge of the stamping. My 08 had the same corrosion at the sharp edge of the stamping just like yours. I caught mine before it crept to the topside so a repair was easy without a total repaint of the hood. Your hood will need a repaint as I don't think a blend would look very good. Either way dealer should fix this. For future reference check under the hood all around the edge where the two panels are pressed together. You could catch a problem before it creeps topside.

Sponsored
OP
OP

lsiunsuex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mario
Vehicle(s)
Yeah go ASAP and good luck to ya.
I still think this is caused by poor paint coverage on the edge of the stamping. My 08 had the same corrosion at the sharp edge of the stamping just like yours. I caught mine before it crept to the topside so a repair was easy without a total repaint of the hood. Your hood will need a repaint as I don't think a blend would look very good. Either way dealer should fix this. For future reference check under the hood all around the edge where the two panels are pressed together. You could catch a problem before it creeps topside.
Dad said check the whole car before I go tomorrow - good idea.

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
Per Ford's own warranty statement the factory warranty on body corrosion is 5 years, regardless of miles
driven.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1896428&postcount=85
ford does not consider this to be corrosion. they classify it as a paint defect, which falls under the 3/36 coverage.

i know this because it happened to my s197. when this started happening, ford was replacing complete hoods, but then even the replacement hoods would bubble up as well. so ford ended up just grinding down the affected areas, reseal it, and then respray either the affected part or the entire hood.

ford repainted my s197 hood just weeks before my 3 year coverage expired, but it bubbled up again elsewhere a year later and at that point ford would not cover it.

so get it done now.
Sponsored

Last edited: