Sponsored

NoVA wrench party

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I don't post too many threads but I wanted to reach out to my local forum members. I recently brought my '67 fastback project car to my shop and I'm now unsure how to proceed. This is my ultimate dream car and I dropped my entire life savings into doing the body restoration. That was done back in '07-08 and since then it has sat in my parent's garage. Life's challenges prevented me from doing more after that and even more challenges have hit me recently which is why I'm starting this thread.

The smart thing to do now is to sell it and use the money to make my situation a bit easier. There is a possibility that my income will increase here pretty soon which makes me wonder if I could get back on track and finish the car. I still won't have anywhere to keep it other than here at my shop which is not a permanent solution.

Now I'm wondering if I could invite a few guys over on a Saturday to do a one day thrash on the car with the parts I have already and see what kind of progress can be made. I'll buy lunch and will supply all tools and a lift.

What do you guys think?

I have better images on my home computer, will post those later.
DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg
Sponsored

triggered

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
No
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP - Race Red
I'm game. I'll bring some beer along.

TheGame

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
thats a beautiful car man, dont sell it. try to hold on to it and hopefully luck comes your way.

OP
OP
Grimace427

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
thats a beautiful car man, dont sell it. try to hold on to it and hopefully luck comes your way.

Thanks. I'm going from a house to an apartment so things will be tough for a while.

Sponsored

shpion1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ruby Red GT Conv Prem, PP
I'm game as well depending on exact timing... don't sell unless you absolutely have to... what parts do you have and what needs to be done?

OP
OP
Grimace427

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
All the parts were purchased back in 2006-2008 so I will need to take inventory. Full body restoration is complete, all exterior trim and rubber weatherstripping and bump stops are all in place. Car has a complete Painless wiring harness installed. Still needs a full interior(I have two brand new seats, carpet, and most of the original interior panels), also needs a custom clutch linkage such as a cable or hydraulic system.

The engine is a '68 302, Lakewood scattershield with a GM bolt pattern to mate to a Richmond Super T-10. I have a new Centerforce clutch and flywheel but the pressure plate bolts were the wrong thread pitch and damaged the flywheel a little(my dad started threading them and didn't realize it until it was too late). The standard z-bar will not fit the new setup. I also have a Hurst Comp-Plus shifter and will need to probably get a new driveshaft. The rear end is not a 9-inch, probably whatever came in the base model of the time.

The steering is pretty much gone. I don't want to replace with stock but would rather go with a rack&pinion which is where I keep getting hung up. So many good options from Flaming River, Total Control Products, Heidts, so many more. Plus if I do a rack&pinion I may as well upgrade the entire front suspension. Then I'll need new brakes to match the new front end. May as well get a new rear end with brakes to match. It just goes on and on, pretty much looking at $10,000 just in parts.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
I'm certainly game. Remember we also have some storage options for you if you're interested . LMK .

Sponsored

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Did I miss this??? I'd like to come help....that's the good news.... bad is that I'm out of town for the next two weekends. I can bring a '67 also if some reference is needed...

OP
OP
Grimace427

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Did I miss this??? I'd like to come help....that's the good news.... bad is that I'm out of town for the next two weekends. I can bring a '67 also if some reference is needed...

I haven't set this up yet. I'm moving the first week of September and will try to set this up the weekend after. I will probably do this over several weekends, first just to take stock and organize all the parts I already have. I'll also try to clean out the interior as best as possible(sitting for 9 years) and I'll do all that prior to bringing anyone else over. I need to talk to the shop owners to make sure I'm not going to disrupt normal operation. One big thing I plan on doing is pulling the engine then rebuilding the entire front suspension/steering which I would definitely need help with.

Does your '67 have power steering? That would be invaluable to see and compare, especially hose routing and such.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Ok, that sounds good...I've got racing Labor day weekend and the weekend after that getting dragged to a party on Sat but I'm sure I can squeeze in a couple of hrs if you want to check the car out.... yes, my '67 has power steering. I'm very interested in is your rebuilding of the front susension. I want to tighten up the handling and steering on mine a little. Not radical, but maybe like better bushings or stuff...I'm not really sure. I've never really delved into the suspension on the car. I've pulled the motor and trans (piece of friggin work all by itself!!) and put new headers on it.

OP
OP
Grimace427

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Ok, that sounds good...I've got racing Labor day weekend and the weekend after that getting dragged to a party on Sat but I'm sure I can squeeze in a couple of hrs if you want to check the car out.... yes, my '67 has power steering. I'm very interested in is your rebuilding of the front susension. I want to tighten up the handling and steering on mine a little. Not radical, but maybe like better bushings or stuff...I'm not really sure. I've never really delved into the suspension on the car. I've pulled the motor and trans (piece of friggin work all by itself!!) and put new headers on it.

I'd be more interested in turning wrenches on your car first to get a better feel of what's going on. There's a bunch you can do to upgrade the front suspension, CJPP has a decent selection for minor stuff. There's big things you can do like an entire Mustang II front clip which includes coilovers and rack & pinion steering.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/1967-mus...MItvqggaH61QIVw42zCh0zMwvuEAAYASAAEgIw8vD_BwE

Basic front upgrade kit. http://www.cjponyparts.com/supreme-front-steering-and-suspension-kit-power-steering-1967/p/SUSK6/
Sponsored

Last edited: