2018 Mustang eSourceBook

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
I caught that "No lift shift" thing. Is this because people are destroying MT-82's speed shifting? Sounds like in interesting "driver assist" option.
Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Conflicts with the explanation in this: http://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

Also, regarding the suspension wording in the sourcebook it reads pretty much the same as the original S550 info in the 2015 source book.

The stabilizer bar diameters are the same in the 2015 book.

Since this is written by "marketing" primarily for non technical sales staff at dealerships using a lot of cut and paste I look at it as "nice to know info that might actually be correct". :)

Note that the 10A ratios are almost identical to 10A ratios I've seen in road tests for F150 Raptors and the Camaro 10A so those are probably correct.
My experience with DI and PI systems is DI is much easier to control injection events at low speed and can supply ample fueling. PI does well at higher RPM and where the DI pump can't keep up when additional fueling is needed.

I have a feeling this is also Ford's way to ensure boost is successful on these engines as DI has its shortcomings when you need fuel and the pump can't handle it.

tal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.leschuck.com
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
Suspension changes

Some interesting insights into chassis/suspension and engine changes. Very top level of course. Looking forward to somebody getting their hands on one to see what the subframe and connector changes really are.
I've gone thru & compared with the 2015 Mustang Source Book for suspension changes.

Some snips I have done:

Ultimate performance
Performance is at the core of Mustang DNA, offering drivers a unique thrill of acceleration and
cornering for the ultimate fun-to-drive experience. On all models, new shock absorbers make for
better ride control, a new cross-axis joint in the rear suspension leads to increased lateral
stiffness, and innovative stabilizer bars bring sharper response and handling.

All models get revised shocks, increased lateral stiffness, and revised stabilizer bars
(base suspension improvements said to be on par with the previous optional performance suspension)

From the 2018 Mustang Source Book:

Front suspension:

Monotube shock absorbers on all EcoBoost and GT models for
better control and road management

Stabilizer bushings revised on base EcoBoost and GT models

Rear suspension:

Cross-axis joint for lateral stiffness

Toe link has been revised, and monotube shocks are used on the
base EcoBoost and V8

I don't know how Ford is going to get this suspension up to last's year Performance Suspension? It looks like even the stabilizer bars haven't changed.

Anyone have more sources to confirm?

Dudie7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Great info! Looks like peak power for the V8 is at 7000 RPM.

It appears there are some errors as well.

This info regarding the six speed manual is also interesting.
Wonder if that means rev-matching, too?

Sponsored

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
Reading over the Performance Pack specs, it doesn't look any different to me. Why the heck did it go up to $3900?
It seemed worth optioning at the lower price but at $4000 now you have to compete with all the aftermarket parts manufacturers and I'm gonna guess you could get way more out of the car with aftermarket stuff. I was going to ask this in the suspension forum but it seemed like some people with the PP were even upgrading to better parts. On a quick look, brembos, differential are the most important. Surprised we only get a front spring upgrade when for that price you can do all four shocks and springs.

Is fuel shutoff new? I laugh at every single car at stoplights that are constantly shuting off and restarting at the starter/ignition. I would have that disbled immediately. Is this any better or just as annoying?

Last edited:

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
Just saw that the new ecoboost is back to a single exhaust outlet.

Still no information on what the gap under the headlights is for...
Check page 61 it looks like volvo style headlight wipers.
:barf:

Stevefreestyle

Blue Blood
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT 10Sp Auto, Velocity Blue
That's not relevant to automatic transmissions.
It was totally relavant, as the "under 4 sec 0-60" was with the new 10 Sp Auto
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2017/07/24/fastest-mustang-GT.html

The new Mustang is also faster than a $94,000 Porsche 911 Carrera, which Carl Widmann, Mustang chief engineer, attributes to five factors:

• Improved horsepower and torque output of the redesigned 5.0-liter V8
  • Maximum acceleration of available Drag Strip mode
  • Quicker, smoother shifting of the available 10-speed SelectShift® transmission
  • Optimized traction courtesy of the available custom-designed Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S tires on new Performance Pack

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Check page 61 it looks like volvo style headlight wipers.
:barf:
Probably not. The current cars have this also. When the headlight switch is in "auto" the windshield wipers come on when the headlights come on. Some states require headlights when wipers on plus some of us have been doing this for decades in order to make our car easier to see/avoid in rain.

I captured this pic from an autoshow video.

[/url][/IMG]

Styling thing I suspect. If you select white in the build it tool the "paint" in the recess is clear.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
It seemed worth optioning at the lower price but at $4000 now you have to compete with all the aftermarket parts manufacturers and I'm gonna guess you could get way more out of the car with aftermarket stuff.
You forgot, you now also get a giant wing. That's gotta be worth a grand, right?

Is fuel shutoff new? I laugh at every single car at stoplights that are constantly shuting off and restarting at the starter/ignition. I would have that disbled immediately. Is this any better or just as annoying?
That's not start-stop, it's fuel shut-off while coasting with the foot off the accelerator.

I've gone thru & compared with the 2015 Mustang

Cross-axis joint for lateral stiffness

Toe link has been revised, and monotube shocks are used on the
base EcoBoost and V8
Sounds like a factory wheel hop solution.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market

eleanor5oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MY
That's not start-stop, it's fuel shut-off while coasting with the foot off the accelerator.
Yeah I'm wondering if it would be annoying in the same way. Lag time from let-off to hitting the gas again?
Is that new on 18s?
Sponsored