2018 GT Performance Package Wheel Question

griffbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradford
Vehicle(s)
2015 Anniversary Mustang-Wimbledon White
I like the 2018 Mustang, mostly, and would want the Performance Package. My problem is that I am not personally a fan of Black wheels. I think the optional 20" x 9"wheels are lovely. Is there any reason they could not be used on the car as a replacement after it was delivered? I know they are a just a tinier bit narrower. But, being 20's, there should be no brake clearance problems, or any other thing preventing their use with the Performance Package is their? I HATE it that you only have one wheel choice with the Performance Package. Thanks for your help!

Bradford
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Without trying to swap them, there's no way anyone can say they would fit. There's a good possibility they wouldn't fit even though they're 20s. There's more to the fitment that that.

Plus, and trust me on this, the black hides the brake dust a lot better. The real problem with the PP wheels is cleaning them. They're a bitch to clean.

OP
OP

griffbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradford
Vehicle(s)
Without trying to swap them, there's no way anyone can say they would fit. There's a good possibility they wouldn't fit even though they're 20s. There's more to the fitment that that.

Plus, and trust me on this, the black hides the brake dust a lot better. The real problem with the PP wheels is cleaning them. They're a bitch to clean.
Thanks for the reply. I owned a 2015 GT before I purchased the anniversary edition, which has wheels that are, well, less black than the performance package wheels on my 2015 GT non-anniversary edition. They show brake dust less, but I prefer the look....the 20" wheels are a 1/2" narrower, I think, so they SHOULD work, but as you say, other factors may play a role...thanks again!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Thanks for the reply. I owned a 2015 GT before I purchased the anniversary edition, which has wheels that are, well, less black than the performance package wheels on my 2015 GT non-anniversary edition. They show brake dust less, but I prefer the look....the 20" wheels are a 1/2" narrower, I think, so they SHOULD work, but as you say, other factors may play a role...thanks again!
I'll also add;

The wheels and tires, and their sizes, are a real part of why the PP cars handle and brake so well. If you want to get rid of the black, why not order after-market wheels? They'll be cheaper, and probably lighter, than ordering the stock 20" wheels from Ford.

And that way you can keep the width of the tires, and maybe make it a 4-square set-up, which is what it should be.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
You can get the PP wheels in Luster Silver, if you don't like Gloss Black. Same wheels, just different finish.

Though I'm holding out to see whats the deal with the PP2 wheels / package.

Sponsored

OP
OP

griffbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradford
Vehicle(s)
You can get the PP wheels in Luster Silver, if you don't like Gloss Black. Same wheels, just different finish.

Though I'm holding out to see whats the deal with the PP2 wheels / package.
How? I did not see that as an option on the order form? Thanks for your help!

OP
OP

griffbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradford
Vehicle(s)
I'll also add;

The wheels and tires, and their sizes, are a real part of why the PP cars handle and brake so well. If you want to get rid of the black, why not order after-market wheels? They'll be cheaper, and probably lighter, than ordering the stock 20" wheels from Ford.

And that way you can keep the width of the tires, and maybe make it a 4-square set-up, which is what it should be.
I like sticking with Ford stuff, even if not OEM on this car....i might consider after market which would almost certainly be lighter, as you point out, if I could find some with Mustang center caps etc. that would at least LOOK like a Ford product.....this option would also allow me to re-use the included 19" tires, which is a real cost saver also....Thanks!

Mustangpursuit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT/CS 2019
Vehicle Showcase
If I went for a PP, I would do a square 255/40/19 A/S set up with the BOSS 302A wheels. That way I get more tire options all around and better handling in rain and winter, and at least I like the silver with black accent on the BOSS 302.

regarding brake dust, I would swap to Power Stop ceramic pads and it works much better at reducing brake dust on Brembos.

It seems Tirerack or places allow this FRPP wheel to fit a brembo package Mustang, so I would assume they can clear the 2018 fronts.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Not in 2018 based on the order book. No more upgrade to silver (nickle).

OP
OP

griffbl

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bradford
Vehicle(s)

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
I like sticking with Ford stuff, even if not OEM on this car....i might consider after market which would almost certainly be lighter, as you point out, if I could find some with Mustang center caps etc. that would at least LOOK like a Ford product.....this option would also allow me to re-use the included 19" tires, which is a real cost saver also....Thanks!
If you want the oem silver wheels Ford Performance Parts lists them and Tire Rack sells them.

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/res...&autoYear=2015&autoModClar=GT+Performance+Pkg

Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Comp Orange

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Not in 2018 based on the order book. No more upgrade to silver (nickle).
Wasn't sure about it, since it was always kind of a rare / "hidden option".

deltafastback

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turquoise 1965 Fastback 347 stroker Tremec TKO
I like the 2018 Mustang, mostly, and would want the Performance Package. My problem is that I am not personally a fan of Black wheels. I think the optional 20" x 9"wheels are lovely. Is there any reason they could not be used on the car as a replacement after it was delivered? I know they are a just a tinier bit narrower. But, being 20's, there should be no brake clearance problems, or any other thing preventing their use with the Performance Package is their? I HATE it that you only have one wheel choice with the Performance Package. Thanks for your help!

Bradford
look at wheel # 647 shows late availability, Available on GT Performance package 67G
2018-Mustang-Order-Guide-19.jpg

Hattrick

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2018 GT A10.
I ordered my Base, 18 PP, 5.0, A10 yesterday. The luster nickel painted forged wheels are available. I like black wheels but don't like the heavily spoked design of the black PP wheels. Anyhow, didn't want to wait for the nickel ones, which to me are really nice, because of the late availability. That and they are still only 9.5" wide in the back. Prob get some 11s after a while.
Sponsored