Sponsored

leather quality on steering wheel

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's not leather. It's not leather in your car, it probably wasn't leather in the Toyota.

Fords are cheap, and you get what you pay for. You can replace your steering wheel rather easily.
I don' think it's leather. Real leather steering wheels feel kinda sticky from sweat for some odd reason for me.
Sponsored

MustangDaily

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Auto
If this happens to my steering wheel, I would go ahead and just purchase this and have it custom made. This has a better 10 and 2 notches and the leather quality is probably better. Another option would be to wait for the 2018 models and retrofit their heated steering wheel as some posts stated that it has "upgraded leather"

http://beithperformanceparts.com/product/2015-mustang-custom-gt350r-steering-wheel/

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Bets are its vinyl. Replaced mine with a GT350R wheel when prices were reasonable ($192) and the comfort and looks are a difference of night and day. OEM steering wheel was a big complaint of mine...

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I agree, the stock wheel feels cheap. I replaced my stock wheel with a GT350 wheel and it looks and feels much better.

Sponsored

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
A custom Beith Performance wheel will definitely be my next mod. I knew before I even bought my mustang that I'd need to replace the wheel. For a GT Premium with The performance pack (read: a performance car) you'd think the wheel in the car would be on par with the Focus RS, STI, GTI, etc...

I've never been so disappointed in my life. Even my Jeep Wrangler had a thicker wheel with actual leather, not this weird shriveled slim jim meat casing we're stuck with.

Anyone else feel like the wheel could be *slightly* smaller in total circumference (not girth, I think it should be girthier)?? There's a joke in there somewhere...

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I've thought about wearing gloves for a better grip.

What kind and from where do you have?
You are going to laugh. They are Saucony running gloves that are very thin. I don't want leather because my hands get sweaty in them.

Another person suggested Racequip gloves from Summit Racing Equipment. Also thinner and nice fit than the typical leather gloves.

I regularly use Zaino Brothers leather conditioner on the wheel, and I still developed the slight wear, even with wearing gloves also.

I would rather not wear gloves, but after experience with 3 previous Mustang steering wheels getting wear, I decided to do this for my '15 GT.

hauntedone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I've had ford replace the steering wheel twice now... wear and tear , more like falling apart in my hands.

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Unfortunately Ford "leather" has never really been great, but you get what you pay for I guess. In both my Raptor and Focus ST, it has been painfully obvious. Especially in the former.

I am okay with that, as I realize that I am not driving a Jaguar and costs have to be made somewhere. I recommend doing what others suggested and getting it changed out with something better.

My only hope is that with this Ford management shake-up and desires to further cost-cut, how much will it affect 2019-2021 MY cars, not to talk of the next generation S650 for MY 2022?

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I'm at 16,000 miles on my 2017 and haven't noticed any degradation on my steering wheel, though I occasionally use leather gloves on weekends. I'll have to take a look after work.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Seeing as Ford was proudly touting that the 2018 Mustang has glove leather on the steering wheel, the 2015-2017 is most definitely vinyl.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
thank you everyone. i change car every 3 years, but it s the first time i see this so fast. May be very cheap plastic fake leather from ford.
Or you got one from a bad batch since this is NOT a frequent complaint. Worth asking your dealer. With so many people replacing factory wheels, you might find a new car take-off for cheap.

Cueball

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kia Optima EX, 2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
I have 25k on my '15 GT and no issues with steering wheel. Hmmm...

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
If it's leather, it came from a polyurethane cow.
Not surprised. When I replaced the factory cloth seat skins in my 2011 with new GT takeoff leather, the shop that did the install said Ford probably only needed one cow for the model year. There might have been a few specks of leather in there but not much. LoL
Sponsored