Sponsored

Shaker Pro: inexpensive options for mild upgrade? (or: another speaker thread)

EcoBOSS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium, PP, 50th, RR
Vehicle Showcase
Please, try that again, I didn't get the first two parts.

The rear is the EXACT same, regardless of 9 or 12 speakers from a wiring/EQ aspect. The highs appear louder because a tweeter is added with a protection cap at 4KHz.
The 6.5" speaker still attempts to reproduce everything from ~100Hz to 16,000Hz, but the tweeter is more efficient at it from 4KHz to 16KHz (but only audible to 10KHz because they suck).
Sponsored

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
Please, try that again, I didn't get the first two parts.

The rear is the EXACT same, regardless of 9 or 12 speakers from a wiring/EQ aspect. The highs appear louder because a tweeter is added with a protection cap at 4KHz.
The 6.5" speaker still attempts to reproduce everything from ~100Hz to 16,000Hz, but the tweeter is more efficient at it from 4KHz to 16KHz (but only audible to 10KHz because they suck).
I don't think so the DSP shows different settings 9 / 12 / convertible.

I don't think you can tell the DSP to use 12 setting because its not going to see the amp enable line and will throw an error. think amp is dead.

These are too damn complicated.

West TX GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT
Can a person just hook up a LC7i LOC before the factory amp hook a better amp to LC7i and then hook the existing speaker wires into the new amp? Sorry if it is a dumb question. If the factory setup is going to be so complicated to replace they shouldn't give us such crap.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
I swapped out my rears(9 speaker) for a set of aftermarket 3 way coax. You can definitely hear the higher frequencies now via the built in tweeter. One thing I did notice, the aftermarket are 4ohm and I am guessing (did not confirm) that stock was 2ohm. Very little bass or overall volume as compared to stock. I double checked polarity and all is well there. Guessing that the impedance increase has lowered the power to the rears, which probably wasn't much to begin with.

Also, do you have a link to the F150 page you are referring to? If so I will try the different settings and see if there is any noticeable difference.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Captdistraction

Captdistraction

Not the Stig
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang GT350 Tech Pack, 2011 Mustang Racecar, 2011 Raptor
bringing this back, I was back in my door panels hunting the 50000 rattles/buzzes this damned car has, but took the time to check out the speakers. they're definitely marked as 2ohm.

With that said, starting with the 3.5's what recommendations are there, also should there be a bandpass filter on an aftermarket one to tame the likely included tweeter?

DAZZA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RHD Mustang GT S550 PP Platinum White
Chiming in here all the from Australia with a 9 speaker system

I've been doing a bunch of experimenting and was planning on going all out with processors, amps and wiring looms - all of which I have experimented with.

At the moment I have settled on a cheap but really brilliant sounding system.

Easy to install no issues cheap and sounds great.

It goes hard - no ratlles.

This may help someone looking for something that beats any sound system I have owned to date including harmon kardon and Bose systems in BMW's and Mercs.

Take out the rear speakers from the rear deck cut them out of the plastic molded bracket they come with but leave the connector - use a dremel it takes < 5 min.

I installed the following 6.5 inch speakers into these brackets and wired them to the sockets that are attached to the brackets - make sure you get the polarity correct.

https://www.fusionentertainment.com...plant/powerplant-6.5-component-speaker-system

These speakers come with crossovers and tweeters - you wont be using them and the tweeters are terrible anyway.

Leave the rear speaker opening as is but cover the area with a small slab of Dynamat treatment just to stop any rattles from the trunk when you install the subwoofer, leaving the gap where the speakers were originally installed.

I installed these in the doors and used a small amount of dynamat over the 6.5 inch speaker opening and the off cuts I stuck in various areas of the door - no overkill.

The moulded bracket from the rear speakers fits perfectly in the front doors no drilling required and the plug is the same - so install is very easy.

I removed the 3.5 inch mids and installed these.

http://hektikgroup.com.au/shop/speakers/hertz-dcx-710-3/

I pulled the A pillar open a bit enough to simply unplug the tweeters and pushed it back. The 3.5 inch speaker has a tweeter and it works well.

I shoved acoustic foam into the door handle area closing all the gaps and pushed the door handle window switch back into place.

Factory amp drives these speakers very nicely goes loud and sounds excellent even without the subwoofer it sounds full range and has good bass.

I cut the center channel at the factory amplifier wiring loom - it destroys the sounds IMO.

I cut the rear wires at the wiring loom and bridged them to the front channel woofer output so that I can get a high level bass signal to the rear that hasn't been programmed out.

I installed this amplifier for the subwoofer

https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Amplifiers/GM+Series/GM-A5602

I purchased it with a wiring kit bundle it auto turns on when receiving the high signal so need to run a preamp cable or a remote sensing cable only need to run a single positive form the battery and locate a decent GND in the trunk.

It also installed it in the spare wheel well.

I installed this subwoofer

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r1-1x12/

It does not take up a lot of space and really is musical.

No rattles and ample loud, goes deep and blends nicely with the front.

The pioneer is good value and has a LPF fully adjustable with bass boost etc.

All the sound settings are flat signal and there is not need to adjust anything.

Not missing the rear speakers at all.

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Replace Just the Center Speaker as the first step?

Based on this post, the center speaker is a 3.5" that is tied into the tweeters and mid-range speakers on a 9 speaker system.

Is it hard to pop-out the center speaker and replace it with a better 3.5" that might be more full-range? My vert lacks bass from the 9 speaker system.

Would just replacing the center speaker alone help the sound by having more of a full range of sound coming from the center speaker?

If there is an improvement, what 3.5" speaker would you recommend?

thanks

CVCashmere

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Based on this post, the center speaker is a 3.5" that is tied into the tweeters and mid-range speakers on a 9 speaker system.

Is it hard to pop-out the center speaker and replace it with a better 3.5" that might be more full-range? My vert lacks bass from the 9 speaker system.

Would just replacing the center speaker alone help the sound by having more of a full range of sound coming from the center speaker?

If there is an improvement, what 3.5" speaker would you recommend?

thanks

CVCashmere
Polk db351 worked very well for me.
It cleaned up that muddy sound from the factory speaker.
It is also a higher ohm rating, which makes it lower in volume as well. (Better sound stage)

35726098406_df2930286a_k.jpg
20161216_114942 by chefjpd, on Flickr

I have the PP gauges, so no center air vent, I was able to mount it under the panel. If you have the vent, you just have to clearance the cover a bit. Very easy.
Also, you have to remove the facia to get the cover off.

34926036394_2935447c74_k.jpg
20161215_092540 by chefjpd, on Flickr

Last edited:

Sponsored

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Has anyone put the Focal 165AS3 3 way kit in their mustang? I have a 2017 Ecoboost premium with the 9 Speaker system.

https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/car-audio-kits-solutions/performance/access/component-kits/165-as3
$480 bucks for a set of 3-way focal speakers is fairly reasonable. I typically shy away from metal dome tweeters because they can be harsh and fatiguing to listen to for long periods. Having said that, I would try to listen to them for yourself and see.

Skeester

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang ecoboost
$480 bucks for a set of 3-way focal speakers is fairly reasonable. I typically shy away from metal dome tweeters because they can be harsh and fatiguing to listen to for long periods. Having said that, I would try to listen to them for yourself and see.
I have a set of the in the two way version of this in my rx8, so I know I like the speakers. My question is around fittment. I can’t find anywhere that can say if the 4” mid fits in the 3.5” mid opening in the door? Also, is there space to mount the crossover? Also, I saw where some people were saying that some of the factory speakers were a 2 ohm/ 4 ohm mix?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
I have a set of the in the two way version of this in my rx8, so I know I like the speakers. My question is around fittment. I can’t find anywhere that can say if the 4” mid fits in the 3.5” mid opening in the door? Also, is there space to mount the crossover? Also, I saw where some people were saying that some of the factory speakers were a 2 ohm/ 4 ohm mix?
Fitment wise, the link you posted says that the mid is 80mm which is just about 3 1/8". Since our doors don't seal against weather well and get pretty wet, I purchase some of these from WalMart and made my own spacers for the mid and the woofer;
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstay...75035&wl11=online&wl12=43832326&wl13=&veh=sem

Regarding the use of the crossover, it would be much easier install wise to just not use it, and tap into the factory wiring at the speakers. The tweeter will need to have a capacitor soldered to it to act as a high-pass filter.

BlownGP

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
Pontiac, Ford, Dodge
So, old thread I know.

Got the 12 speaker system and there is just now clarity at all.

Bought kicker 3.5" for the doors. Still looking around for a single 3.5" for the dash.
Going to leave the tweeters alone for now and see how the 3.5"s sounds first.
Do I need a adapters to mount the speakers?
Is there wire adapters for the 3.5" speakers or do I have to cut and splice the wires?

But since the door 6.5" is just for bass, is there even a point to change it?
With that said it looks like all the aftermarket mid-bass speakers have to big of magnets to fit anyways.

After that, will probably change the rear deck since there full range
Then see what I want to about a sub.

Thanks
Steven

josephstef

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stefan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Digging up an oldie here, but are you better off upgrading the door 3.5" or center 3.5"?
Asking i just purchased a pair of 3.5" so i have 2 :)
Sponsored