Sponsored

Tailight Tint

5.0jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT
How many of you run tailight tint and have you had any trouble from cops?
Sponsored

SteedaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange Ecoboost
I think with how bright the stock tail lights are, I don't think you will ever have a problem. We have tint from American Muscle on all of the lights of her car and I can clearly see them in the daylight while driving behind her.

SteedaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a photo from when we were driving together. Left turn signal is on but this shows how dark the lights are when off and how bright when the brake is activated. This was taken mid day in Orlando.
IMG_4065.jpg

OP
OP
5.0jake

5.0jake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT
Here's a photo from when we were driving together. Left turn signal is on but this shows how dark the lights are when off and how bright when the brake is activated. This was taken mid day in Orlando.
I love how they look, how has the american muscle tint held up? Not sure if I should get them custom cut or pre-cut

SteedaGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love how they look, how has the american muscle tint held up? Not sure if I should get them custom cut or pre-cut
We've had them on for about a year without any issues. Car sits outside all day while she is at work and is driven regularly.

Pre-cut is great if you don't mind not absolutely exact fitment. It leaves 1/16" or so reveal around any given light for proper fitment. Took about 2 hours to install all of the tint by myself.

Sponsored

lwnslw

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
One of the first mods I did on my GTPP a little more than a year ago....I have had State Troopers/Miami Dade and several other municipalitie police officers behind me and no issues as of yet... I even have the tinted licenses plate cover as well....

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I have the GTS tinted tailight covers (headlight ones also) from CJPP. They are the ones that everyone seems to dislike the look of. I got them because this was my exact concern and they come off really easy which I figured I could offer to remove in-front of a cop if I ever did get stopped. I have had no issues from police yet with them.

I personally have mixed feelings on them. I like the look and convenience (aka: non-permanent-ness of them) but that is the trade-off for the fit/finish quality. I just make sure to keep any on-lookers 6 feet back from the car ;)

IMG_20170505_200426 DOWNSIZED.jpg

IMG_20170506_103617 DOWNSIZED.jpg

If you want an overly exhaustive review and impression on them let me know.

Blk2015GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
Police generally wont stop to test taillight tint levels since the rear lights are so bright.

BUT the problem is if you are rear ended. Expect to pay for all of your repairs out of pocket (and the other car and other driver's injuries) after successfully be sued when the person who ran into says they could not see your taillights even on on a sunny day (FL law requires taillights that are "plainly visible" at 1000 feet, and "An object, material, or covering that alters the taillamp’s visibility from 1,000 feet may not be placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied over a taillamp" [ie tint] so prepare to shell out $ to have experts come in to prove that brightness is "plainly visible") and you were in violation of FL law.

SOOO not worth the risk for a looking a tiny bit better.

Last edited:

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Damn I think its only 500ft in NC. I will agree that liability has been my bigger concern though. I saw a post where I believe someone had the same covers as me and a surveying distance roller thing and went out to 500ft and took a picture, in daylight, showing how the taillights were still visible. Law and liability are complicated things though. I don't think it would play out as simply as you stated it though. I think that most of the "best" mods people do to their cars increase risk in one way or another and to various degrees. It ends up just being a personal preference of how much risk and what kind of risk you want to take when modding your car.

OP: I live in NC so I can't comment on FL cops but I have only ever heard that florida has some of the most ghetto cars in the world so I feel like they wouldn't be a bother. I've never heard of anyone getting pulled in NC for taillight tint, only window tint and even then they just had to take it off before court and they got off scott free. I think your only concern would be an absolute worst case scenario accident situation. You could mitigate the risk with Front/Rear dash cam though I suppose (I'm thinking potential fraud situations).

Dendrobatez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have the American muscle vinyl tint, the stock lights are so bright that you can't even tell especially at night

Sponsored

Cobo_pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
No issues here, and I'm completely murdered out

Southview

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Herby
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Convertible
Had a police officer start to pass me by in the fast lane on 95. I was in the slow lane cruising at 65. As he was going by, he hit his brakes hard and slowed down,jumped 3 lanes to get behind me. I wasn't even doing the speed limit so I figured he was going to get me for the tint on tail lamps Nope he followed me onto the off ramp and turned the opposite way of me.

Dendrobatez

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
I have the American muscle tint on mine (for about 2yrs now) never had a problem and Ive been pulled over for other things. You can tell there is tint on them when the lights are off because they look black but with the running lights on and especially when you hit the brakes they are still almost blindingly bright. But considering the amount of people in SoFlo who don't even have brake lights that work I think tinted ones aren't high on their priority list

I have the fronts as well and if you don't live in a place that's lit by street lights like I do then I wouldn't recommend putting the tint on the headlights
Sponsored