Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
I think rain sensing wipers are bundled with safe and smart because they use the same sensors as some of the other safety features. The memory seat is the only puzzling addition to that package.
Just wondering, why do you hate aeb and disable lane departure? I've never had either but both seem like they could help avoid an expensive accident, especially if you happen to be tired or there's some unavoidable distraction like my mother who loves to scream every time something on the scares her lol

These safety features are for the 420 smokers residing in AK, CO, CA, WA, NV, OR, and maybe ME now. LOL. Think of developing new technology, and adding to the existing magnitudes of application and machine code stringd which keeps grtting deeper and deeper, in gradual steps, then one day you wakeup and AI is driving for you. It could be a crux or the ultimate in luxury driving. Sooner than later you could eat, brush, shave and dress on the way to work or catch a nap, read or whatever.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Also Carl Widmann emphasized in a "carguy 11" video on the Magneride dampers that at least the Magneride versions of the 2018's needed stronger/stiffer knuckles and wheel bearings to deal with the high damping forces available with Magneride. Carl also mentioned that what he called "the steel setup" (i.e. springs and bars) isn't any stiffer with Magneride.
For other people to reference, I found the video you're talking about:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]6V8F6doZIEM[/MEDIA]"]

I have not found where he or "marketing" claimed that the 18 GT will be as fast as the previous GT PP's but I'm pretty sure I saw/heard it somewhere.
That's exactly the problem. Everybody's heard that because it's been repeated ad nauseum on this forum without any substantiation.

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
That's exactly the problem. Everybody's heard that because it's been repeated ad nauseum on this forum without any substantiation.
Good point. My bad.

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
Where did you get this info? I have not seen this anywhere.
That would be the first that I've heard of it as well - Up until this point, I've been dead set on the 10 speed...but for some reason a 6spd with auto-rev matching is almost as appealing to me.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
Where did you get this info? I have not seen this anywhere.
ESource book in the section on the transmission (page 15):

The 10-speed automatic transmission with SelectShift capability
gives drivers a choice between fully automatic or clutchless drivercontrolled
shifting.
Three overdrive gears and a wide 7.4:1 gear ratio span
Integrated torque converter/turbine clutch helps reduce weight,
while also reducing the packaging size of the transmission
High-speed one-way clutch helps deliver smooth and
responsive shifting
Engine rpm matching on coast-down shifts provides a seamless
transition to lower gears — effective when cornering
Synchronizes clutches to help eliminate grinding
Ultra-low viscosity transmission fluid and off-axis variabledisplacement
pump maximize transmission performance
Skip Shift feature utilizes real-time adaptive shift schedule
algorithms which monitor more than a dozen powertrain- and
driver-control signals to help ensure the transmission is in the
right gear at the right time
Sport mode
Drag mode
Designed to produce maximum acceleration
Shifts closer to redline, removes inertia phase in shifting and increases clutch pressure for extra “push"
Not intended for cold, wet or slippery conditions; see owner's manual for more information
Track use only
Includes Remote Start System on EcoBoost 101A and above
Sport Mode
Allows the driver to manually upshift or downshift the transmission without using a clutch
Engaged by moving the shifter to the Sport (S) position
Gear selection is shown in the instrument cluster
Engine-speed matching helps provide fast and smooth downshifts
Includes Second-Gear Start mode
When engaged, the vehicle will start off from a stop in second gear instead of first
There is much less torque output starting out in second gear, helping provide enhanced traction while driving in slippery conditions
Sport mode disables Overdrive Cancel and Grade Assist modes
To prevent the engine from running at too low an rpm, the transmission may automatically make some downshifts
Although downshifts may automatically take place, it will allow the driver to downshift at any time as long as the engine will not be
damaged from over-revving
After the transmission is placed in Sport mode with SelectShift, the vehicle will remain in this mode until the gearshift lever is moved from
Sport (S) back to Drive (D)
Engine damage may occur if excessive engine revving is held without shifting
Offers an aggressive shift pattern, allowing the engine to rev higher during acceleration and holding lower gears longer to support spirited
driving
Paddle Shifter Activation
Allows the driver to shift gears quickly while keeping both hands on the steering wheel
To manually upshift, pull the + paddle located on the right side of the steering wheel
To manually downshift, pull the — paddle located on the left side of the steering wheel
The SelectShift feature is always “live in drive,” meaning the driver is not required to engage Sport mode by moving the shifter to the Sport
(S) position to operate the paddle shifters
FYI a version of the 2018 owner manual is available on line http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...8071&marketCode=US&languageCode=EN&VIN=&div=f

Bravo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
German Turbo Box
ESource book in the section on the transmission (page 15):

FYI a version of the 2018 owner manual is available on line http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...8071&marketCode=US&languageCode=EN&VIN=&div=f
Oh - that's rev matching / engine matching in the 10 speed auto for smoother downshifts / more controlled cruising.

Basically, it's Ford's attempt to mimic how a dual clutch transmission works while utilizing a more traditional slush box configuration.

When you said rev matching, I thought we were talking about auto rev matching on the 6spd manual like we see in Nissan transmissions.

I'll admit it...I got a bit excited there :p

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Rev matching on the 10 speed isn't a shocker - I just drove the new Raptor and it does this on downshifts.

For others who may be wondering, I'm an auto trans hater. The 10-speed in manual mode with the paddles is so-so. For whatever reason, upshifting from first is slow, but the rest of the gears are relatively quick for a vehicle with a torque converter. That may be a quirk on the Raptor that doesn't carry over. The paddles at least make the truck a little more fun than it would otherwise be - but not as fun as my stick shift Taco.

I'll stick to three pedals.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
But does the 10-speed do blips on downshifts like M-DCT does?

The sound the E92 M3 makes on downshifts when on the paddles mode is absolutely intoxicating, sounds incredible doing the blips.

Hope the 10-speed will do this in sport/track modes or when on paddles. :)

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
The E92 throttle blip changing down when engaging the rev match did sound nice on the auto but stick shift still more entertaining. Not sure why Ford don't do auto rev match option on the stick shift.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
The E92 throttle blip changing down when engaging the rev match did sound nice on the auto but stick shift still more entertaining. Not sure why Ford don't do auto rev match option on the stick shift.
The 18 will.
Sponsored