Sponsored

CEL - misfires

tony8211

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium CS
I was on my way home when my CEL started blinking then came on solid. The car seemed to be running just fine. I took it to the dealer first thing the next morning. Dealer told me there were several misfires recorded on cylinder #6. They didn't know what was causing it as all checks came back normal. They called the Ford hotline who told them that there was likely a loose connection in the wiring somewhere. They disconnected much of the wiring, reconnected and the problem went away. After 50 miles the CEL has not returned.

Anyone else have this issue? Has it stayed gone?
Sponsored

Silver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Black A300 PP
I've got a 2015 GT PP w/ 22,000 miles and when I started my car to leave from work last week, the CEL came on solid. I took it to the dealership, they put a code reader on it and discovered a P0308 code - Cylinder 8 misfire more than 100 times or something like that. According to the paperwork of the work performed, they only changed a spark plug but I was told that they changed a coil pack as well. They didn't have coil packs on hand and had to go pick one up actually. Anyway, no more issues.

Side note - I swear my car sounds louder now (MRT KR axle-backs) than before the fix was made. It's probably not and my minds just screwing with me.

15onBOOST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOW n Sleek
I have the same issues aswell taking to the dealer misfire on #5 .But me and my friend checked had low compression also switched Coil and put new plug .And the same code comes up. Only 5500 miles hate to think motor needs to be replaced.Anyone else have this issue

Silver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
My car is back at the dealership again for the exact same issue, P0308 code - cylinder #8 misfired more than 100 times. They're going to hold on to it for a few days to determine and hopefully fix the problem. It took exactly one week for the issue to reappear since I first brought it in and had the coil pack and spark plug replaced, although I don't think that will have any relevance.

The assistant service manager said that they have to check the injector, do a wet/dry compression check and possibly pull the head off so they can inspect... wonderful.

Anyway, I just wanted to keep you folks that might be having the same issue updated. I'll post later when I get more info from them.

Silver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Another update... The assistant service manager called me to tell me that the technicians in the engine shop are working with Ford engineers to determine what's causing the issue. Their next step is to inject dye into the coolant system and see if coolant is leaking through the head somewhere. I was told that if there is a coolant leak inside the engine, it isn't in the lower half because they found no evidence of fuel mixing with the coolant. He said it could be an intake issue or something with the head or heads. By tomorrow morning, they will know. Also, it could be an issue with an injector. Ugh.

I miss my car...

Sponsored

mikeD4V

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
I have the same issue, car has been at the dealer 5 times now and spent over a month there in total. The misfires are on #4 and #8 but they ended up replacing all injectors, coils, and plugs because they couldn't get it to stop. They got in touch with ford and were told to replace tty flywheel bolts and the crank position sensor since it started happening after a clutch replacement.

After the 3rd visit they just started erasing the code and told me it's the way way I drive the car bc they can't reproduce the problem regardless of the fact that it starts misfiring before I get a mile from the dealer. Even took the service writer for a ride while it misfired and he said it must be something I'm doing.

Hopefully you get yours ironed out. I'll be following your thread to advise the next service writer. Gonna take it to another dealer the week of 6/13 and then if not fixed bite the bullet and go the lemon route.

Silver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
I have the same issue, car has been at the dealer 5 times now and spent over a month there in total. The misfires are on #4 and #8 but they ended up replacing all injectors, coils, and plugs because they couldn't get it to stop. They got in touch with ford and were told to replace tty flywheel bolts and the crank position sensor since it started happening after a clutch replacement.

After the 3rd visit they just started erasing the code and told me it's the way way I drive the car bc they can't reproduce the problem regardless of the fact that it starts misfiring before I get a mile from the dealer. Even took the service writer for a ride while it misfired and he said it must be something I'm doing.

Hopefully you get yours ironed out. I'll be following your thread to advise the next service writer. Gonna take it to another dealer the week of 6/13 and then if not fixed bite the bullet and go the lemon route.
Damn, man. Sorry to hear about that. I should be getting a phone call any time now so I'll be sure to post up with updates.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

Hello mikeD4V,

Please make an appointment with a different Ford Dealer, and let me know when the appointment is for. Also, please PM me with your VIN, dealer, mileage, full name, and best daytime number. I’ll loop in the customer service manager for your area.

Deysha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I care about infotainment
I had my CEL come on 100 miles into owning the car. It continued to sporadically pop up and stay on. Apparently the code showed O2 Sensor replacement needed, so they replaced it. The CEL came back not even a day after that fix, and continued to come on-off sporadically (usually at high RPMs in 2nd or 3rd gear it would come on and stay on for awhile, then randomly disappear for awhile).

I went back and they checked more codes and said more O2 sensor banks needed replacement. I still need to get that done. But oddly, a few weeks after that I went to a different place to get new tires installed and the CEL hasn't come back since.

I really don't know what to think, as I've never FELT like the car was not running correctly. I just passed 17k miles and have had no issues except the anxiety of seeing the CEL.

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
2019 Cali, 2016 GT premium
Same but different

Have the same issues going on and this is the 3rd time my car has been back to the dealership. P0018- camshaft position sensor bank 2 and p0305, p0306, p0307 and p0308 (all bank 2 misfires). Not sure what is going on with the car since she only has 1200 miles on her. Ford seems to think that "some kind of debris is in the system" and keeps clearing the code and calling it good. Getting really frustrated at this point. :frusty:

Sponsored

Silver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Have the same issues going on and this is the 3rd time my car has been back to the dealership. P0018- camshaft position sensor bank 2 and p0305, p0306, p0307 and p0308 (all bank 2 misfires). Not sure what is going on with the car since she only has 1200 miles on her. Ford seems to think that "some kind of debris is in the system" and keeps clearing the code and calling it good. Getting really frustrated at this point. :frusty:
I wonder if that "debris" is coolant.

For some reason, every time I talk to the assistant service manager, I can never get a definitive answer as to what's going on with my car. Last week he said they need to pull the head off OR it's possibly an issue with the intake. I have no idea how an intake can cause a misfire on cylinder 8 and no others but hey, they're the experts.

As of today, I'm told that the head has NOT been pulled off and the techs are still working with Ford engineers, "...running about 20 different tests." They still know nothing for sure yet and they have had my car since last Tuesday.

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
I actually just got off the phone with them about 20 minutes ago and they bombed the crankshaft position solenoid. Not sure if i fully trust them with this diagnosis but it's worth a shot if it gets her back to normal. I'll keep everyone updated over the next couple of days to see if it actually fixed the issue. I am curious as to how it went from some kind of "debris" in the system to an actual failed part.

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if that "debris" is coolant.

For some reason, every time I talk to the assistant service manager, I can never get a definitive answer as to what's going on with my car. Last week he said they need to pull the head off OR it's possibly an issue with the intake. I have no idea how an intake can cause a misfire on cylinder 8 and no others but hey, they're the experts.

As of today, I'm told that the head has NOT been pulled off and the techs are still working with Ford engineers, "...running about 20 different tests." They still know nothing for sure yet and they have had my car since last Tuesday.
Well, the dealership is now on the phone with the Ford engineers with mine as well. They told me there's a bunch of tests that need to be performed and don't know what is causing the issues since the crankshaft solenoid didn't fix the issue, like they said it was going to.

Silver5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shane
Vehicle(s)
Another update - The assistant service manager called me to let me know that they're still unsure of what has caused the issue. From what he's telling me, they asked Ford to send out two new heads but they won't do that until Ford engineering has exhausted all of there knowledge on this. So, Ford is going to send out a software update for the PCM which is being done now I'm told. Stay tuned...

I also contacted Ford Customer Service because I wanted to keep them in the loop on this issue as it seems that this is quite serious. My email has been responded to.

Last edited:

Slater_5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derek
Vehicle(s)
So as of yesterday, they bombed another part on the car. Apparently the cam phaser is faulty now, so I "should have my car back by the end of today"... I know I haven't been dealing with this as long as a few of you but I am about ready to lose my cool and contact Ford customer service, to see what can be done about this. :frusty:
Sponsored