SPRING RATES & DROPS: ALL IN ONE THREAD!!

OP
OP
Gibbo205

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
All updated, should be correct now. :)

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Wow, this thread is a bit of a lesson in springs. So let me see if I get this right. Generally, rear springs are anywhere from 3 to 4 times stiffer than front springs?! This comes as a surprise to me as I always thought that front springs were much more stiff than rear springs as they had to support the oscilating mass of the engine. Can someone explain the significant disparity between the front and rear rates?

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled
Thanks OP for the post. I'm a suspension noob so this an eye opener and learning opportunity for me.

:cheers:

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Wow, this thread is a bit of a lesson in springs. So let me see if I get this right. Generally, rear springs are anywhere from 3 to 4 times stiffer than front springs?! This comes as a surprise to me as I always thought that front springs were much more stiff than rear springs as they had to support the oscilating mass of the engine. Can someone explain the significant disparity between the front and rear rates?
I too would like to know. Only thing I can think of is maybe the manufacturers of these springs kept drag racing in mind and general racing in mind. As you accelerate all your weight transfers to the rear causing more weight in the rear than the front during acceleration. Although that alone isn't enough to explain it.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
You guys are likely thinking of stick axle cars and those spring rates being somewhat close to the front spring rates.

IRS equipped cars, totally different story, hence the substantial difference in rates front to rear.

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
You guys are likely thinking of stick axle cars and those spring rates being somewhat close to the front spring rates.

IRS equipped cars, totally different story, hence the substantial difference in rates front to rear.
Please explain in detail rather than simply say its IRS rather than DRS.

Glex25

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
All my cars have been IRS and the difference between front/rear has been around 2k. The front being stronger for engine support

It does seem weird that the front is softer than the back

Last edited:

Less Weight

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Well, it nice to know that I'm not the only one who is perplexed regarding spring rates. Maybe one of the after market spring representitives on this forum can explain it it us. Perhaps the gentleman from Steeda may know.

BMR Tech

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bmrsuspension.com
First Name
Dion
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2010 GT500, 2019 F-150 5.0
I'm at a race in Georgia right now, but will be happy to hop on here and share some rate info soon.

I won't quite share how we came to the rates we offer....but can address the questions about why the rates are so different etc.

MtnBiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Can someone explain the significant disparity between the front and rear rates?
If you look at the rear suspension you'll notice the spring is pretty far inboard ... The control arm will have more leverage to compress the spring. Need higher spring rate.

Sinub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
If you look at the rear suspension you'll notice the spring is pretty far inboard ... The control arm will have more leverage to compress the spring. Need higher spring rate.
That actually makes sense.

Noize

Ricer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Evolution X
Yeah this is really weird to me, particularly since a greater percentage of weight is on the front wheels. Granted I haven't had RWD cars in years, and never lowered one.

It has nothing to do with independent rear suspension. My car is IRS too, but AWD. Stock, my rates are almost identical to each other. On the current coilovers, rates are 10k/10.2k (560/571).

This has to be why.

Simmons-Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yeah this is really weird to me, particularly since a greater percentage of weight is on the front wheels. Granted I haven't had RWD cars in years, and never lowered one.

It has nothing to do with independent rear suspension. My car is IRS too, but AWD. Stock, my rates are almost identical to each other. On the current coilovers, rates are 10k/10.2k (560/571).

This has to be why.
The Motion ratio on the S550 is pretty bad compared to other cars. This is why you need so much more rear spring compared to the front.

For example,....I am going to be running 1,600-1,800lb rear springs and 650-750lb front spring for AutoX.

Simmons

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
It is what [MENTION=16770]MtnBiker[/MENTION] said - leverage.

A coilover with the spring around the shock (and located on the LCA but much closer to the wheel) would have a spring rate closer to that used at the front.