Sponsored

2015 GT PP -TICK/SCRATCHY/GRINDING noise(Issue Gradually Going Away)

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Had to drop my baby off at the dealer today. Past couple mornings Ive been hearing a ticking right around the wheel wells in the front.

Then when I drove 40 miles to my parents, I heard this. Im a little irritated since Ive only had the car a couple days and I traded my reliable boosted 3V. Which in 7 years of owning never gave me a problem besides a loose spark plug and I dumped 40 grand into this one.

No idea what it could be but we'll find out soon Im guessing on Monday when the tech looks into it.

Reproduceable problem shown in update 2

Update 0 12-20: Dealer sent me home, said noise not repeatable and other noise is "normal"

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]RPIE3xe7EGk[/MEDIA]"]

===========================================
UPDATE 1 12/26: Noise has come back. Short trip down the street, heard the sound near a curb. Pulled vehicle into garage later that night, heard the ticking at idle. Sounds like a loose exhaust heat shield. Goes away with any slight blip of the throttle.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]QfdP5bzsIQw[/MEDIA]"]

UPDATE 2 12/28: Noise is repeatable now. Below shows the steps I used to reproduce the sound. Confirmed sound coming from the transmission bell-housing with stethoscope (retired ford tech). NOT an exhaust leak. Taking it to dealer on Monday 12/29.

No assistance yet from Ford CS outside of a case number. I really hope someone reads through page three and listens to the videos since this seems like its affecting quite a few people and could a potential safety issue with something going horribly wrong in the trans.

Post from Page 3:
Watch this vid closely:

1000rpms idles fine, no noises.

All of a sudden the RPM drops and the noises start.

Then the rpm's drop more and the noise gets louder and chattering occurs. (COMING FROM TRANS BELLHOUSING - sounds like an exhaust leak but it isnt)

The rpm increase is me giving it gas and the noise disappearing

CONDITIONS TO REPRODUCE THIS SOUND:

1. Car must be cold or cool. If its fully warmed up or has been driven at all the sound does not appear.
2. Sound does not come up until the RPMs have settled down to about 600. Initital start up has RPMs around 1000 then gradually goes down as car warms up.
3. Once RPM finishes dropping starts the ticking from the transmission.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Bxy37lv2MPw[/MEDIA]"]

UPDATE 3 - 12/29

Dealer had the vehicle all day. Earlier this morning the head Service guy went out and said he heard the issue and said it sounded like the throwout bearing. This afternoon, just got a phone call from the Service Manager. Said they cant reproduce the problem again this afternoon. Said they are going to try again in the morning. He said he stood out there for about 5 minutes with the vehicle....well yeah on a cold start it takes longer than 5 minutes for the vehicle to idle down completely. I had to explain to him over again how to reproduce the problem. He explained to me there was a Service person that was outside that heard it and said it sounded like a throw out bearing, but the problem hasnt shown again. Then he started asking me about my exhaust saying it could be that. Dealer trying to redirect blame now?

UPDATE 3 A- 12/29

Heading to the dealership in the morning since they cant reproduce the problem or follow my instructions.

UPDATE 4 - 12/30

Arrived at dealer around 7am because I had no confidence in the dealer and techs to follow my intructions on how to reproduce the sound. Sure enough, they were about to give up and said we must wait longer. Well the noise happened and all the techs looked at each other and came to aggreeance that it sounded like the throwout bearing and the noise wasnt normal.

No further updates the rest of the day, waiting on dealer to source the TOB part?

UPDATE 5- 12/31

Service manager let me know that it seems Ford doesn't have just the throw out bearing available to order, its possible they may replace the entire transmission completely. If I heard correctly they were just going to try and give me a new vehicle but they dont have my exact package in stock. Might know something this afternoon about the next step they are going to take, or at least by Friday afternoon.

============================================

UPDATE 6 - 1/2

Ford is replacing the entire transmission. They tested another GT on the lot and it didnt exhibit the noise. Won't know until Monday on how long its going to take for it to show up.

UPDATE 7 - 1/16

After two dealer visits , trans was replaced, then flywheel/clutch/pressure plate, etc. The sound still occurs on cold start and idle and eventually goes away. Going to continue driving the vehicle.

UPDATE 8 - 1/18

VIDEO OF ONGOING NOISE (noise starts at around the 58 second mark)

[ame]

UPDATE 9- 1/20 warmer weather

VIDEO of sound like when I first heard issues on December 20 in UPDATE 1

[ame]

UPDATE 10- 1/23

Vehicle back in my posession after a couple more days at the dealer. Dealer replaced PCV valve, changed oil, and reflashed the PCM. They said they didnt hear the noise, but when I got it home, I retested and heard it.
However, at 1,300ish miles, the noise isnt consistent anymore and has been seemingly getting better. Will continue to drive the vehicle now. This will be the final update until things get worse or better. Which it seems to be getting better.

UPDATE 11- 1/25

NEW PROBLEM:

Going back to the dealership again Monday.

When going into reverse, I hear THIS now.... ******RESOLVED - FORD MARKING STICKER COMING OFF CALIPER CAUSING NOISE --FIXED*************

[ame]

UPDATE 12 - 1/26 (Vehicle back at Ford for repair)

Just wanted to give somewhat of a final update:

Picked up the car today. The reverse noise issue is fixed. Regarding the first problem , supposedly yesterday they got a brand new GT on the lot and tested it, the Service Director told me that it had a lot of similar noises that my car was making but a bit louder. It only had 5 miles on it. My original problem as seen in this first post was very loud as you can hear, but after them replacing the clutch/flywheel and everything else, the sound is a bit less pronounced as you can hear in the later vids.

Do I think it's normal? I dont, but Im a bit tired of arguing with the Field Service Engineer and the Service Department over what they deem is normal or not. If they honestly thought it was normal, why would they go as far as replacing all the parts they did.

So here is what I know.

1. The problem does go away after it drives very little and also becomes less noticeable as the car warms up.

2. Problem only occurs if you let it idle down from a cold start for too long, or a luke warm start and letting it settle to idle.

3. The issue is more of a nuisance to me than a real problem which is why Im not going to continue actively pursuing a repair.

4. Its very possible the sound might not even be there at 5k, 10k, 20k miles...who knows.

Maybe someone might get lucky that has my same issues and gets it properly diagnosed and fixed and they can share the info on here.

Well, I've said my peace on this and Im going to go on enjoying my car. Ford was kind enough to extend my warranty with Premium Care to 75k miles for all my troubles.

I wont really be making any more posts or updates unless things change or people have questions. I will say though, if you have these problems post in here and take a video for everyone! Maybe Ford will take notice and revise whatever might be causing it. :cheers:

Posting these 3 Unsuccessful work orders for those that do plan on going in for service. Just something to look at when they say the problem is "fixed".

ANU2wSa.jpg

89jQLKR.jpg

t3fCV3I.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Ouch

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Had to drop my baby off at the dealer today. Past couple mornings Ive been hearing a ticking right around the wheel wells in the front.
Have you heard back from the dealer today, Nemesys? Send me a PM with your name, best contact number, VIN, and dealer info; let's get you back on the road with your baby.

Rachel

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Hey Rachel they have not. Pm sent.

petraman

Now with more MPGs!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
2018 VW Golf
Wasn't there another car on the forum that had a similar issue and it turned out to be his throwout bearing?

Sponsored

FlowForm_Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hrewheels.com
First Name
HRE Wheels
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Wasn't there another car on the forum that had a similar issue and it turned out to be his throwout bearing?
That's what I was thinking. I would like to know what you find out because I heard the same thing the other day while while parked with the motor running. Would go away if I pressed in the clutch. Even would go away by just pressing the clutch a half inch.

Interesting thing is I have not heard it since friday.

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
Yes this is the same noise I have on my car with 1100 miles now. Started like the first few days I had it. I will be going to the dealer Tuesday and Friday.

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Wow that sounds terrible. I would not drive it without having it looked at.

Tow it to your dealer. May just be a throw-out bearing, but could be anything clutch related. I'd hate for something to give-out while driving knowing how much damage can occur in there.

Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Watch....they're either going to tell me it's normal or they can't replicate the sound. In which case I may end having to fight this. I'm calling the dealer shortly. Not one update and its been there since Saturday

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I can't imagine anyone would deny that something is not right in there.

If anything it gives a dealer an opportunity to open it up and look. It's to their benefit to do it. They get paid to do it by Ford. If they deny it they lose the money for the job.

So not opening it up to look does not make any sense.

Sponsored

robb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
This dual mass flywheel scares me a bit. I know it's there for comfort on the drivetrain, but I'd prefer they ditch it for a regular flywheel so there's one less thing that can break.

OP
OP
Nemesys

Nemesys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White S550
Just got off the phone they said they don't hear anything. Picking up the car now I guess. They didn't even show the video to the tech to listen even though they said they would.

Diode Dynamics

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost
Just got off the phone they said they don't hear anything. Picking up the car now I guess. They didn't even show the video to the tech to listen even though they said they would.
Send a PM to Rachel, she will make sure you are taken care of

That's definitely not what you'd expect from 480 miles of use!

Nick C.