Sponsored

Bob Lutz Weighs in On Mustang and Camaro Battle

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
The biggest loser in this is the Challenger. If the scat pack car was a bit lighter it would have the performance that beats the camaro and the looks that rival the Mustang. It should be a back an forth sales battle between the Dodge and Ford dealerships.
Sponsored

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The biggest loser in this is the Challenger. If the scat pack car was a bit lighter it would have the performance that beats the camaro and the looks that rival the Mustang. It should be a back an forth sales battle between the Dodge and Ford dealerships.
I completely disagree. Dodge has done a masterful job of keeping the interest in an absolute dinosaur platform.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP

I'd say the Challenger is doing just fine in the sales number game. The fact that a 9 year old platform beats the 1 year old Camaro routinely and has even bested the Mustang in sales volume a couple months ago is pretty impressive.

I'm a Ford Mustang fan, but still, I've got some love (respect) for the GM small block V8 (LS2, LS3, LT1, LT4...). I was in love with the Camaro on paper in 2016... almost bought one...until I really compared it to the S550 Mustang. I'm very happy that I bought the Mustang instead.

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
I'm not saying that the Challenger isn't doing well. What I am trying to say is that it has the looks and the power it's just a bit on the heavy side. So basically they just missed out on making a good car GREAT. I actually like what Dodge has done with their lineup.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I'd say the Challenger is doing just fine in the sales number game. The fact that a 9 year old platform beats the 1 year old Camaro routinely and has even bested the Mustang in sales volume a couple months ago is pretty impressive.

I'm a Ford Mustang fan, but still, I've got some love (respect) for the GM small block V8 (LS2, LS3, LT1, LT4...). I was in love with the Camaro on paper in 2016... almost bought one...until I really compared it to the S550 Mustang. I'm very happy that I bought the Mustang instead.
Actually more like a 20 year old platform (Mercedes E class). But if it's a good platform, who cares how old it is? IMO the thing wrong with the Challenger is just how far they took the 'retro' styling. You could basically take a 1967 Challenger and give it to some engineers and say "just make it look as close as you can to this with modern parts" and you get a 2017 Challenger.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I completely disagree. Dodge has done a masterful job of keeping the interest in an absolute dinosaur platform.
Lots of advertising and well done advertising keeps the over weight dinosaur going

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
11 GT500 Glass Roof Coupe
I love my mustang to death but I would argue the Challenger looks the best. It still has the muscle car look which I love.
+1

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
(Yeah, I have a thing for Challenger Scat Packs too, and wish I could have one of them also.)
It's okay to own a Mustang GT and a Challenger Scat Pack! Just ask my wife! It only took me a couple of weeks to convince her last year when I got my Scat Pack.

2morrow

DesignR/DriveR/RiceEatR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GTPP
I agree with some of the opinions of the article in regards to the overall design of the mustang but his statement
about not telling the late generations of Camaro apart is a little off. Personally I can tell a distinct difference.
The Gen 5 was not bad and they F'ed it up with all the surfacing on the 6th gen.

Another thing is that the article was written very poorly. It left me wondering about the maturity of the writer.

Maybe I'm getting old...

Sponsored

Five Oh Brian

Mustang Guru
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.KorumFord.com
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
IMO the thing wrong with the Challenger is just how far they took the 'retro' styling. You could basically take a 1967 Challenger and give it to some engineers and say "just make it look as close as you can to this with modern parts" and you get a 2017 Challenger.
There was no 1967 Challenger. The E-Body Challenger debuted as a 1970 model and ran until 1974. The 2008-2014 Challenger was styled after the 1970 model, while the 2015-2017 Challenger was styled after the 1971 model.

I love the retro styling of the Challenger, along with its dimensions. Bigger than the Mustang & Camaro, too, which is great if you long for a bigger, more comfortable V8, rear drive coupe. I used to own a 1968 Pontiac GTO and my 2016 Scat Pack reminds me so much of that car! Big engine, big torque, heavy, and roomy.

My '14 Mustang GT is simply awesome for different reasons. Still comfortable, but lighter/nimbler than the big Dodge. Great retro style for 2005-2014 Mustangs. Better infotainment in the Ford.

Let's admit it, retro styling is what put Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger back on the map starting with the 2005 Mustang. Hell, retro styling brought the Camaro & Challenger back from the dead! Has retro styling run its course? Maybe for some, but plenty of Baby Boomers & Gen X'ers are still buying them, as well as Millennials.

ShelbyGT350

Shelby GT350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 351C Shaker
Bob has it right. I had the fortune to meet Bob last year in San Diego where he spoke at an event I chaired and got to know him well. He will also tell you that the mid-engine Corvette coming out in a year or two will be less than half the price of the Ford GT and will sell much better. The guy is no dummy - 2 degrees from Cal Berkeley including an MBA in Marketing. Iacocca made a mistake not turning Chrysler over to him instead of Bob Eaton.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
"The Camaro, an even better car, sinks into quasi-irrelevance. You can’t tell it from the previous one"
This is a pretty stupid comment. Yes the S550 exceeded every expectations of Mustang sales, but the Camaro still sells ok for a way pricier car

attachment.png

Also I think you really have to not be into cars at all to see more differences betweens 2013 and 2015 Mustang, but no difference in 2014 and 2016 Camaro. It's ok to not like it, but the 5th gen on both cars were so much bulky and kinda dated compared to the current gens.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang. But what Bob Lutz says sounds more like a fanboy than someone that you want in high position of a company
mustang_comp.JPG
camaro_comp.JPG

FastCarFanBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GB GT

Also I think you really have to not be into cars at all to see more differences betweens 2013 and 2015 Mustang, but no difference in 2014 and 2016 Camaro. It's ok to not like it, but the 5th gen on both cars were so much bulky and kinda dated compared to the current gens.

Don't get me wrong, I love the Mustang. But what Bob Lutz says sounds more like a fanboy than someone that you want in high position of a company
those pictures you posted of the Camaro dont help your cause... the 6g looks like a mid cycle refresh of the 5g. to most people it just looks like a new front/rear fascia.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
"The Camaro, an even better car, sinks into quasi-irrelevance. You can’t tell it from the previous one"
This is a pretty stupid comment. Yes the S550 exceeded every expectations of Mustang sales, but the Camaro still sells ok for a way pricier car

I think your perspective comes off as being skewed. I'm a big time car guy and I pride myself on being able to identify different vehicles. I work hard to be able to identify the new Camaro. I can easily tell the new from old gen Mustang at a glance.
Sponsored