Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Howdy Folks!

I've got a GT PP car, with beautiful new MRR wheels with a really open design, that _really_ show off the rotors ... and they look like crap :D

A lot of rust on/around the hat, the outer edge/vanes.

I wouldn't be totally opposed to just doing something like painting them, I checked out several DIYs of people painting the hats while they're still mounted, but I'm thinking there's enough rust where they probably need to just be replaced.

My car is a convertible, it's a fun car, a cruiser, when I do drive it (not a DD) I __drive__it__, but I don't need extreme performance on the street in terms of rotors.

While I appreciate the weight saving on the 2-piece (non-floating) options, I'm thinking just a replacement set of 1-piece, drilled, from Stop Tech, with the black anti-rust treatment. About $175/each (for the fronts) from a few sources.

Thoughts? Suppliers? Best prices? Options?

TIA.

:cheers:
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
My rear rotors were weeping rust all over my lovely black wheels. They had to go.
Thanks for the links, yeah, that's exactly what happened to me - cleaned up the car for a cruise in, and wound up having dried up rust pools from the rotors weeping overnight.

Sponsored

JuRuKi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/PP
I'm very happy with my brakemotive rotors. They look great and I havent seen a sign of rust after 3-4 washes. Oh and I changed pads to the Z26's and I can go for a couple weeks without cleaning my wheels. :D
IMG_5188.JPG

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm very happy with my brakemotive rotors. They look great and I havent seen a sign of rust after 3-4 washes. Oh and I changed pads to the Z26's and I can go for a couple weeks without cleaning my wheels. :D
Thanks man, the picture is helpful. That's my main beef, rust, if the coating on those is holding up, that's a cheap fix/upgrade.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Those look good. Pretty sure this is my next mod. Nice, cheap, subtle, but cleans up the wheel area. Would look great with my VMB8's too.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Any experience with the zinc plating vs. the "e-coat", the black type finish on the hats and on the outer edge / in the cooling vanes?

The blacked out hats look nice, but I'm more worried about rust on the outer portion.

Sponsored

Mike K.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP

Wow that looks really nice and those rotors won't rust much ? Is there some kind of special coating on them ?

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wow that looks really nice and those rotors won't rust much ? Is there some kind of special coating on them ?
It's advertised as a zinc coating. I had these for 2 years on my ST and they never discolored, corroded, or rusted.

Sway

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang gt (Oxford White)
I couldnt pass up how cheap these are, i ordered some. Theyll be here tuesday and i should have them on by wed. The ones i got come with all 4 rotors and ceramic pads for $209.

OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I'm going to order something today too - not sure if I'm going with the Brake Motive here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/391850475120

(zinc coated, drilled slotted for $225 shipped in GT PP sizes)

or these Quick Stop Pro here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401264969930

(e-coated hats, outer edge/vanes, $410 to my door, it's $326 + 80-something for shipping)

[edit]

Went with the cheaper option mostly because it's a known vendor at least in this discussion, plus it sounds like the same treatment was really working to prevent rust and I'm not sure about that other companies coating - I figure if I really want black hats, I could easily paint these when they come in.

Last edited:
OP
OP
MaskedRacerX

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
OTW. Should be here this week, looking forward to the loss of life and limb resulting from removing the fused OEM rotors ...

(ask me about removing my spacers ... but really ... please don't :D)
Sponsored