A Peek Inside The 2018 Mustang’s Gen 3 Coyote Engine

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
What has Audi been doing that Ford is just now catching up to?
Im ASSuming he means the dual injection. Toyota has been doing it for years with Subaru, I know of a lot of DI engines, i dont know of many dual injected thought im sure its out there. Im a huge fan of it. but i dont think ford needs catching up or anything like that. I believe they will do just fine with this engine

They have bumped the redline, I hardly think they would do that if they thought this engine was weaker. Yeah with the high CR you are not going to want to run the same amounts of boost as the previous engine on 91/93, especially 91.. but youll make power with less boost. E85 is where a lot of power will be though. for the same amount of boost youll make more power with the higher CR. The aftermarket will just have to figure out where the limit is.
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Im ASSuming he means the dual injection. Toyota has been doing it for years with Subaru, I know of a lot of DI engines, i dont know of many dual injected thought im sure its out there. Im a huge fan of it. but i dont think ford needs catching up or anything like that. I believe they will do just fine with this engine

They have bumped the redline, I hardly think they would do that if they thought this engine was weaker. Yeah with the high CR you are not going to want to run the same amounts of boost as the previous engine on 91/93, especially 91.. but youll make power with less boost. E85 is where a lot of power will be though. for the same amount of boost youll make more power with the higher CR. The aftermarket will just have to figure out where the limit is.

I'm not on top of Audi tech but I've had more than a few '16-17 Audis come through my shop and they were DI only as far as I could tell. If anything I would assume Ford is the one leading the pack regarding dual fuel injection methods. Just a weird conversation haha!

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
Not to derail this thread.
But I would love to see a Coyote Stock type test of the 1st gen/Boss 302/2nd gen/3rd gen/Voodoo motors to see which one is the best overall.
I want to see these results so very bad.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Not to derail this thread.
But I would love to see a Coyote Stock type test of the 1st gen/Boss 302/2nd gen/3rd gen/Voodoo motors to see which one is the best overall.
I want to see these results so very bad.

Best overall in terms of pure power? I'd suspect the Voodoo is top in terms of performance but the Boss would be on top for durability. Those would be my bets.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
More info on the "when is PI used versus DI" question since the sourcebook conflicts with what a Ford engineer told Car and Driver http://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/

This article is consistent with the Car and Driver article.

http://wardsauto.com/engines/ford-f...m=email&elq2=3edea2cce0c647a1998cada67a6b62a3

The 5.0L also gets direct fuel injection working in concert with its existing port-injection system, giving the engine better fuel efficiency depending on engine temperature, load and power demand. Port injection operates at low speeds with direct injection joining in at higher speeds, under heavy loads and during wide-open throttle acceleration.

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Hashbrownn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
cars, SUVs & trucks
I'm sad right now.
My 5.0 is not true 5 liters, and is FAKE NEWS!!
Gen3 is the true 5.0...
This whole car is a lie. $40k worth of lies. :lol:

minjitta

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andy
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Explorer
I'm not on top of Audi tech but I've had more than a few '16-17 Audis come through my shop and they were DI only as far as I could tell. If anything I would assume Ford is the one leading the pack regarding dual fuel injection methods. Just a weird conversation haha!
You right Ford DI/PI are smart engineered here is the quote from http://blog.caranddriver.com/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection/
"Peter Dowding, Ford’s chief engineer of powertrain gasoline systems, revealed a different strategy. Ford uses PI alone at idle and at low rpm for smooth, quiet, and efficient engine operation. As rpm and load increase, fuel delivery becomes a programmed blend of PI and DI. In contrast to Toyota’s methodology, Ford’s PI is always operating, responsible for at least 5 to 10 percent of the fuel delivery.":ford::ford:

Sponsored

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
I'm curious about how bad fuel dilution will be like all DI engines.
"The dealer overfilled my engine!". Lol.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
I'm curious about how bad fuel dilution will be like all DI engines.
"The dealer overfilled my engine!". Lol.
That's not my experience with VW's turbocharged DI engines.
"That was full 1,000 miles ago, needs a pint now" Lol.

5LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt base 6spd mans transmission
That's not my experience with VW's turbocharged DI engines.
"That was full 1,000 miles ago, needs a pint now" Lol.
Sarcasm....
Owned a mazdaspeed6 for 10 years. Oil always had a strong fuel smell when i changed it.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dacia Logan MCV
Back to my DI only experience with VW. They sound like a diesel tractor at tick-over.
Ford have neatly side-stepped this with the new improved Coyote, running it on PI only at tick-over. No tractor noise from the engine is a good thing.
Should be a good engine this new 5.0.