Sponsored

leather quality on steering wheel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Haywood
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PREM RR A6 3.55
I agree the leather quality is lackluster at best. I've had some success using lexol leather conditioner, massaging it ( no homo) into the leather while the car is sitting out in the heat. It has definitely softened up a bit.
Sponsored

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
Learned my lesson with my 2013, premium was a total rip off, nothing was actual leather. My base 2016 is miles better than my 2013 premium

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I agree the leather quality is lackluster at best. I've had some success using lexol leather conditioner, massaging it ( no homo) into the leather while the car is sitting out in the heat. It has definitely softened up a bit.
It's.

Not.

Leather.

Not one bit.

It's vinyl.

randotheking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GTPP
It's.

Not.

Leather.

Not one bit.

It's vinyl.
It's funny though, I took my car in because the "leather" seats starting to crease badly after only a few hundred miles of ownership. Ford said it was characteristic of the authentic leather.. Really pissed me off and made me wish I went with a base model. Learned my lesson next time around

I had all kinds of problems with the leather steering wheel. If I got into the car and my keys or my nails hit it just right, it would rip it or tear it up.

ktp1598

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bobby
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona Blue California Special
I've got 35K on my 2015 and my wheel has very little wear on it. I use a sunshield on the windshield while at work, vary my hand placement and don't use a death grip. The steering wheel in my old 2007 Focus was still nice when I sold it at 150K miles. No, you shouldn't HAVE to do these things but it takes very little effort to keep it nice.

Sponsored

OP
OP
sebounet

sebounet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 conv gt auto, var exhaust,shaker, safety pack
finally. Ford is going to change it under warranty

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
It's.

Not.

Leather.

Not one bit.

It's vinyl.
Interesting. I'm fairly certain regulations dictate some sort of leather material must be used in order for Ford to use the term "Leather" in their advertising. I've always been under the impression that the center inserts are leather and everything else is color matched vinyl.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Interesting. I'm fairly certain regulations dictate some sort of leather material must be used in order for Ford to use the term "Leather" in their advertising. I've always been under the impression that the center inserts are leather and everything else is color matched vinyl.
I'm sure there are "rules" but they might not require what a "typical" person would consider leather.

FWIW (and I don't know WIW) I had factory leather takeoffs (Roush) installed in my S197 base by a shop that has tons of magazine spreads (not why I picked them) and the owner looked at them and said there is very little leather there, think particle board but with cows and way more filler than cow, to paraphrase. LoL

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
Mine still looks fine without any discoloration or excessive and premature wear. After a year and 17k miles. I don't hold my wheel in a death grip and wear leather gloves on and off. I also condition all the vinyl/"leather" parts of the car every now and then.