Sponsored

Exhaust Smell In Vehicle

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
After my car is warmed up fully, if I choose to accelerate aggressively in the following conditions:

-Prolonged, high revs say from redlining 2nd, 3rd, and winding 4th out partially
-Accelerating in 5th or 6th gears beyond just normal light passing maneuvers. For example if I choose to pass someone aggressively in 5th or 6th then it will definitely happen.

Anyway, in these conditions the interior of the vehicle will fill with a very strong exhaust odor. It doesn't seem to have the sulfuric quality of a catalytic converter type smell, it actually smells like raw non-catalyzed exhaust coming directly from underhood. The odor is quite strong and significant, and rolling the windows down only really averts it while they are down... as to say, you can't just roll them down to clean the smell out and then enjoy your AC again when it is 105 degrees out.

Has anyone else had this issue, any idea what might be happening here?
Sponsored

ctmonline

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C.T.
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT/CS & 2017 Mustang GT(SOLD 4/27/18)
happened to me for the first time today...2017 GT with 7,500 miles...wtf.

OP
OP

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
Same conditions as I mentioned?

Mine goes in Wednesday. Hopefully Ford and the Dealership are willing to properly and swiftly correct this, I don't forsee multiple trips and a fight to get a fix for a health and safety issue as top of my priorities at the moment.

Sponsored

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
They're not going to fix anything, it's the cats and its a normal odor when run hard.

OP
OP

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
It isn't normal at all to have exhaust gasses enter the vehicle. Carbon monoxide isn't a normal thing in vehicles, it's something manufacturers prevent.

I have also noted in my original post that this has none of the catalyzed smell to it and that the exhaust gases smell raw and not catalyzed.

s550_GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Mine does the same and figured it was normal

melwff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 M2486
are you sure you have not driven over something like a plastic bag and it is stuck to your exhaust system and is slowly burning away?

Sponsored

fmendio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
I have the same issue in my 2015 V6. Figured it would go away. Have 7K miles on it, and it is as strong as ever. I get it, no matter the driving conditions. The best way I can describe the smell is like a concentrated new car smell with a trail of exhaust. The exhaust is so faint, that it can only be smelled after I get out of the car. Permeates my clothes (smell like I do after mowing my grass). My hands also smell...much like I've been handling a gas pump/can.

Took it to the dealer, but they said they couldn't smell anything out of the norm. They also checked it out thoroughly...couldn't find anything.

So I'm stuck smell like I just finished mowing my lawn every time I get out of the car. My wife won't even ride in it because she hates the smell, and it gives her a headache. Ugh.

Any advice???

GreenGuardian

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang GT Premium
exhaust

My 2015 Gt does the exact same thing. I now have over 50,000 miles on my car and it still does it the same way it did when it had 15,000 miles on it.

Mustang_Lou

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Bullitt
Mine does the same thing as well when going WOT and say above 6,000 rpm or so.

Interestingly, it did NOT smell when I ran the Livernois Severe Windstorm CAI (ie. Airaid requires a tune CAI).

TennTex

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT-PP
I have the same issue. I don't drive it often, as it is a dedicated track day car, AND I have removed the rear seats with open passage to trunk area.

I figured it must be because of the seat removal, but I am now more concerned because I assume the reports above are with the rear seats in place.

I noticed it with AC on and in Recirculate mode. After getting on it at high rpms, I smelled it once I settled into speed and the rpms and acceleration dropped.

It is definitely a raw exhaust smell, not a post-converter sulfur like smell. As mentioned by flyinlow007, my wife's car is a 2015 Explorer Sport with 3.5 EB engine, and there is a massive issue with those cars since 2011, both a raw exhaust smell (older models I think) and the sulfur smell (much more common and all years 2011~2017). So, the smell is a key to the source and/or the entry location under hard acceleration.

Curious if anyone has taken to a dealer, and if they have found anything.

chipmaker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT premium
Same conditions as I mentioned?

Mine goes in Wednesday. Hopefully Ford and the Dealership are willing to properly and swiftly correct this, I don't forsee multiple trips and a fight to get a fix for a health and safety issue as top of my priorities at the moment.
Post up what they say, I have a 17 w/ 2000 miles. Today I was blasting onto the 202 with a black SS WOT. Got a horrible smell inside. Had to let the fresh hot air in.
Sponsored