Sponsored

Trunk lid bubble/divot...normal or defect?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
Under the GT badging on my 17 GT a dime sized variation in the surface developed. It does not show up on my phone camera and the Ford service dept's camera doesn't show it...but it can be seen with the naked eye when light it reflected/refracted off of it.

The car did not come like this. And here is the problem I'm running into...

The service dept. said they'd cover the repair but that both of their GT's on the lot AND the replacement part from Ford has similar bubbles/divots.

Not sure what to do here. Seems like 2-3 comparisons is just a coincidence because no one on here has spoken of a bubble/divot coming out from behind the GT badge on the trunk...

Thoughts??

Thanks

-Emt1581
Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Anyone?

Am I and my local Ford dealer's service dept. the only ones having this issue??

Thanks

-Emt1581

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
picture?

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Like I said, it doesn't show up on my camera or the Ford service dept's camera. This is why it's been so frustrating, because you can only see it in person...at least with what technology I have available.

-Emt1581

Sponsored

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is from the factory mold...almost every rear panel will have it. Even the ford racing ones have it. You could try a hair dryer to see if it will heat up and pop out...but i'd leave it be.
The weird thing is, I eyed it up like a HAWK before signing the papers and taking ownership, before/after each wash, and ever time I look at her ass end and it wasn't there for the first 2-3 months.

Then during a wash it was just there. So something had to cause it. Even if it was from the mold, maybe it hadn't settled until being jostled around enough...I don't know.

The hairdryer idea...would that involve a suction cup/puller of some sort?

Thanks

-Emt1581

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To update...

I got a call from Ford two weeks ago saying that they received the replacement part, but that it had the same defect. Then they said they looked at two other GT's on their lot and they both had the same defect....everyone else is seeing defect when I'm typing right? As in something that shouldn't be there, needs to be repaired/replaced/etc.

Called them back yesterday to let them know I wanted to come in to look at the part and I get the manager. Super nice guy. He said that the guy helping me was transferred to another dealership. He looked in the computer and saw that the defective part was sent back to Ford. He ordered me a new one.

So we'll see what happens and if this one does have the same...defect...hopefully at the collision center they can smooth it out before installing it.

-Emt1581

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
I have the FR blank panel, and it has it as well.
Not really noticeable unless you are looking for it.
I've learned to live with it.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Final update...

Finally had time to take my car to the service center to look at the two replacement trunk panels they ordered. The guy originally said "they all have it" but then looked at mine and said..."oh...ok, that almost looks like the surface is bubbling/peeling."

So I looked at the two new panels they ordered and they looked wonderful in comparison. I could see the indention where the badge was snugged down in place but it was something you almost needed a magnifying glass to notice. Whereas mine looked like something snuck a dime inbetween the badge and the panel and whacked it with a mallet.

Took them all of 15 minutes to replace the panel and I was on my way. Excellent service!!! And I have to give credit where credit is due so I'm going to call up the same lady (regional service manager) that fielded my complaint about another dealer last time...and let her know how great this place was!

-Emt1581
Sponsored