comm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vaclav
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hi guys,

I'm pretty desperate. I beleive my brand new '16 Mustang GT has some kind of issue with transmission or something :doh:

2nd and 4th gear are very loud, it sounds like grinding (also changing gear from 1st to 2nd while using more pressure to the left). I tried to record it over here:

Most annoying is 4th gear, which I use a lot in a city. 5th gear is nice and quiet. Should I ask for warranty repair (transmission or something else?) or is it normal? :shrug:

Transmission oil level is OK, just checked it...
Sponsored

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
My 16 V6 makes the same noise at 2nd gear when pushed to the left. I have learned to accept it.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I might be wrong, but to me the noise seems to originate from the shifter assembly itself instead of transmission. Again I might be wrong.

Lazyitis

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
GT
Hi guys,

I'm pretty desperate. I beleive my brand new '16 Mustang GT has some kind of issue with transmission or something :doh:

2nd and 4th gear are very loud, it sounds like grinding (also changing gear from 1st to 2nd while using more pressure to the left). I tried to record it over here:

Most annoying is 4th gear, which I use a lot in a city. 5th gear is nice and quiet. Should I ask for warranty repair (transmission or something else?) or is it normal? :shrug:

Transmission oil level is OK, just checked it...
Yup, I got that. Just been talking to another guy in the UK with what sounds like the same thing. It's not one of those "oh that's a slightly unusual noise" type things, more a "WTF is that" noise. It's definitely coming up through the shifter boot, so not the lever or collar.

Mine was built 22nd Feb, his 1st March.

Anybody from Ford out there able to help with this? I know this is going to be a nightmare to sort out in Europe as there is zero experience with these cars over here.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I'm the other guy in the UK, mines making the sound from under the car, maybe where the transmission joins the engine it isn't from around the gear knob like in the video.

Sponsored

PatM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Same or similar issue here ...

Hi, seems I do have similar problems. When I bought the car in February (16 GT PP) I immediately had that metallic clunking issue when shifting (when engaging disengaging the clutch) especially from 1st to 2nd and less pronounced 2nd to 3rd gear. Installed the Steeda clutch spring and it was possible to drive around the clunking as this provided a better clutch feel.

However, since two weeks I now experience a kind of high frequent of grinding noise from the shifter boot which is most pronounced at 2500 to 3500 rpm (I think at higher rpms it is still there but due to the engine noise you can't really hear it anymore). If I grab the shifter knob hard the noise is reduced, haven't tried to move it to the left though. It is just an annoying noise and it seems to get worse over time. Do have the Barton shifter here but will take it to the dealer first before installing it (could prevent some unqualified remarks on warranty ...). I do not expect much from the dealer but I need to get it filed at least.

Let's see what happens ... will keep you updated.

Roki187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wally
Vehicle(s)
15gt pp, 2jz s14, 7.5 Gti and a Ls430
Mgw ftw!!!!!!! But he thump will always be there. Gets worse with a 1piece drive shaft. Love it!!! Gear grinding is a different story. That's a defect.

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible PP
Mgw ftw!!!!!!! But he thump will always be there. Gets worse with a 1piece drive shaft. Love it!!! Gear grinding is a different story. That's a defect.
So the thump gets worse with the 1 piece? How much worse

OP
OP
comm

comm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vaclav
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Mine was built 22nd Feb, his 1st March.

Anybody from Ford out there able to help with this? I know this is going to be a nightmare to sort out in Europe as there is zero experience with these cars over here.
Oh no, mine was built 23rd Feb... looks like a new feature for 2016 :( I hope there will be a fix for this, because it so annoying I can't enjoy driving my car anymore. And you're right, its not from lever or collar... hand will only absorb some noise, but that's not the problem. My transmission doesn't care if its cold or hot, I get the same noise all the time :tsk: Now I can hear it also on 3rd, 5th and 6th gear, but it is 90% better than 2nd and 4th.

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Oh no, mine was built 23rd Feb... looks like a new feature for 2016 :( I hope there will be a fix for this, because it so annoying I can't enjoy driving my car anymore. And you're right, its not from lever or collar... hand will only absorb some noise, but that's not the problem. My transmission doesn't care if its cold or hot, I get the same noise all the time :tsk: Now I can hear it also on 3rd, 5th and 6th gear, but it is 90% better than 2nd and 4th.
I'm going PM you something from someone else.

Sponsored
OP
OP
comm

comm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vaclav
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Well, I had a chance to drive another GT with MT today (built 12/2015) and it has even worse grinding... very noticeable on 3rd gear as well :eyebulge:

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I drove to work today and pressed my shifter to the left in second, it makes that noise. When I let go it stopped. But the question now is why are you pressing on your shifter like that?

That whirring noise I've heard before it comes and goes, more so at lower RPM (2000 +/- 300 or so) with light acceleration. I wouldn't call that grinding. I accidentally tried to shift to 4th before I depressed the clutch and a LOUD grinding noise happened that the people in front of their house looked up, now that's grinding.

OP
OP
comm

comm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vaclav
Vehicle(s)
GT350
[MENTION=21530]invaliduser[/MENTION]:
I don't know how to call it in English, but the main issue here isn't pressed shifter to the left, but that constant noise on 2nd and 4th gear - from my video (5th gear is a way way quieter, as you can hear on video). I was pressing shifter just for illustration of similar noise (but OK, when I change gear from 1st to 2nd I can often hear it a little bit too).

invaliduser

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=21530]invaliduser[/MENTION]:
I don't know how to call it in English, but the main issue here isn't pressed shifter to the left, but that constant noise on 2nd and 4th gear - from my video (5th gear is a way way quieter, as you can hear on video). I was pressing shifter just for illustration of similar noise (but OK, when I change gear from 1st to 2nd I can often hear it a little bit too).
I'll compare my noises again when I go to lunch. I do get a noise going from 1st to 2nd sometimes. It's not the best noise but that might be how it is unfortunately. I've ridden motorcycles my entire life from $6000 Suzuki's to $20k BMWs and I'm used to noisy and clunky/bangy manual transmissions so maybe that's why it doesn't bother me.

The weird thing is once in a while I think everything syncs up in the transmission and the shift would fall right in like a hot knife through a block of butter. Then it could go back to trying to use a hacksaw on a brick for the next shift.

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I drove to work today and pressed my shifter to the left in second, it makes that noise. When I let go it stopped. But the question now is why are you pressing on your shifter like that?
I first noticed this noise when I was downshifting from 3rd to 2nd (while rev matching). In this situation you will push the shifter to the left and blip the throttle for higher rpm (if you rev match). The high rpm makes the noise stand out.
Sponsored