Clutch failed after 14m / 20k miles.

z06psi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
The pot stirrer
My stock clutch at 36K looked basically brand new. You guys are really, really hard on these things.
No my 570ftlbs of torque and 7750 rev limiter is hard on a stocker. I expected it to fail.
Sponsored

El_Centenario

5L V8PWR
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT Triple Yellow
My stock clutch at 36K looked basically brand new. You guys are really, really hard on these things.
I was thinking the same thing. I have about 52K miles and about 20 1/4 mile runs on my stock clutch and it's still working like new..... most of the time lol. After about 4 consecutive runs at the 1/4 mile, it feels a bit spongy but I'm guessing it's from the heat build up. Once it cools down for 30 mins it's back to normal.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Update

Heres an update:

It's been a busy day again, probably 3hrs+ on the phone to various places. But I'm back home in NL too :)

- warranty repair is rejected in the UK. And NOT because of the tuning, but due to 'customer abuse'.
- I tried to appeal the rejection, but because car is on a Dutch plate, UK CRC will not allow me to open a case. They basically tolld me to FO on the phone.
- Dutch CRC will also not entertain a case because I elected to have a repair in England.
- Dutch CRC have refused a loan car here in NL for the same reason, which is a disgrace.

The only good news is that the total repair cost (Inc VAT) is £960, a sum which I can stomach. That's for a new OEM clutch and slave/release bearing all fitted at Ford with a 12m warranty.

Clutch is in stock and release/slave is 'back order referred'. One in stock in Germany, which will take up to 7 working days to reach the UK. Could be worse.

I priced up having the car made movable again at ford and then transported to Modurstang for an aftermarket part, but the numbers weren't really making sense. £400 at Ford + £300ish for transport + £1200+ for a MacLeod clutch + £200ish for a slave.

So EH in Hull will fix it, and hopefully in about 10 days time I can come and get it (at my own expense).

By the time I'm finished I'll be down about £1400, but worse than that is the way I've been treated by Ford. Apart from the lovely lady on the service desk at EH, who has been a star, everyone else from top to bottom has been a complete shower of sh*t. I couldn't feel less valued as a customer if they tried and I'm completely disillusioned with Ford.

My plan of action is to get the car back to NL and then submitt all the bills to the supplying dealer here in NL as a new warranty claim. That I'm sure will be rejected, at which point I might use my legal insurance and get a lawyer involved. The problem I have is that our lives are so damned busy at the moment that this is eating time that we just don't have.

Happily, the flywheel is fine. No damage.

And the only abuse it's ever had is a linelock here and there. A factory built in option. The pedal hasn't always returned fully since new, which the Dutch dealer said was normal... That will be included in my counter claim later on.

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
I would like to see the pressure plate and flywheel because that does not look abused at all, it is a failure of a inferior part. I would bet $1000 you tried to shift at a high RPM and when you pressed the clutch it let go. That seems to be the way all these go.

Made in Turkey like mine lol!

Sponsored

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
I would like to see the pressure plate and flywheel because that does not look abused at all, it is a failure of a inferior part. I would bet $1000 you tried to shift at a high RPM and when you pressed the clutch it let go. That seems to be the way all these go.

Made in Turkey like mine lol!
Yes, exactly!

Shifting at 6.5k rpm and bye-bye.

I'm going to request some pressure plate photos.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
What do you think about the light damage to the input shaft in photo 3?

Something to worry about?

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
Shop will remain nameless as they were good to me, long story. They are not on here.

What clutch would you recommend?
All good. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't someone here who recommended that clutch for a track application.

The RST uses an organic compound which really doesn't like extreme heat. That's why I'll always recommend an RXT over an RST to most people on here even with mildly modified vehicles. The RXT is ceramic and will handle the heat and abuse much better.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks, Jared

cop on my back

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1
All good. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't someone here who recommended that clutch for a track application.

The RST uses an organic compound which really doesn't like extreme heat. That's why I'll always recommend an RXT over an RST to most people on here even with mildly modified vehicles. The RXT is ceramic and will handle the heat and abuse much better.

Let us know if there's anything we can help you with.

Thanks, Jared
Don't want to hijack this thread, but have others used an RXT on a road course with success? Really not interested in a third clutch that will give me grief.

Sponsored

stang305

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt
I see a lot of people recommending RXT? isn't that the clutch a lot of people complain about making there transmission go bye bye.

Lonmon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10spd Base
Hope the OP does not put another stock clutch back in unless he only wants to get another 10k miles or less out of it. Its definitely a crap shoot with those crappy discs made in Turkey. I didn't even bother trying to get it warrantied since I would not want another crap stock clutch. I went Exedy and have had no issues since, so far.

OP
OP

kapiteinlangzaam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Coupe 6MT PP1
Hope the OP does not put another stock clutch back in unless he only wants to get another 10k miles or less out of it. Its definitely a crap shoot with those crappy discs made in Turkey. I didn't even bother trying to get it warrantied since I would not want another crap stock clutch. I went Exedy and have had no issues since, so far.
Ive gone OEM as the car is in pieces at the dealer and this is a significantly cheaper and quicker option to getting me back on the road. Time is just as much of a consideration for me at the moment as the price of the work. I *need* the car back on the road to fulfil some important commitments ive got coming up in September, and the dealer with the OEM clutch is the quickest way to do it.

The next time it goes (which I suppose I know is inevitable now) itll get a full Macloed 800bhp clutch and adjustable throwout bearing.

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
What do you think about the light damage to the input shaft in photo 3?

Something to worry about?
Have the shop make the call to replace.

Years ago I broke off the input shaft.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
That clutch disc looks like it failed. I don't see signs of abuse. Springs look good, coloration looks normal.
Sponsored