Sponsored

Third gear lockout

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Are you saying that if I lift up the shifter going from 2nd to 3rd I could avoid the lockout at high rpms? This is without making any mods to my car?
All I'm saying is that it seemed to help for me. Preloading the shifter right before shifting also helped.
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Well I take that back. I got a high RPM 3rd gear lockout last night. I've been experimenting with different shift knobs since I installed the Boomba racing shifter. I've literally used the same metal Hurst T-Handle for probably close to 20 years in every one of my daily driver / project cars (all stick shift) and I ended up trying a heavy weighted shift knob I had sitting around, plus the stock knob, plus the T-handle.

FYI - I've done the Energy Suspension bushing, Steeda clutch spring, change to RP Syncromesh fluid and the Boomba shifter. And the Steeda insert bushing is in the back seat waiting to get installed as well.

I've been driving a manual transmission car since I before I could legally drive (and that was right at 30 years ago). I've daily driven 400+ HP cars, I've driven 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speeds, 6 speeds from just about every manufacturer.

If I've learned anything, I've learned that every transmission has its own "quirks" and also had its own sweet spots - in other words - how it likes to be driven / shifted for best performance. Apparently the Mt82 is no different.

What I found was that it likes a little 'upward' pressure when shifting and the 2-3 shift goes much smoother (and faster) with more of a 'slap' letting the shifter / transmission guide itself through the gate.

After that adjustment, I went back to my old T-handle and proceeded to make more than a few high RPM shifts without any lockouts. Well except once. I thought it was a lockout. Apparently I was paying more attention to shifting than I was the tach. Bounced the rev limiter. :shrug:
Trans mounted shifter takes care of it. MGW or Barton Hybrid 3.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
And how much does a shop charge to install it
if i dont feel like dropping my trans in my driveway
Not required to do that. Takes about 3 hrs on jackstands taking your time. MGW has good install video on YouTube. I just did mine this weekend.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Another vote for the MGW. Easily the best mod on my car, the rest would be worthless without the amazing shifting the MGW gives me.

Sponsored

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
If the Steeda Trans insert + the difference in shifting doesn't satisfy me, I'll definitely be looking to MGW or Barton.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
If the Steeda Trans insert + the difference in shifting doesn't satisfy me, I'll definitely be looking to MGW or Barton.
Unfortunately, it's still a body mounted shifter with a bunch of plastic in it. It's one of those things that you don't realize how imprecise and rubbery it is till you drive one of these. The trans mount bushing will add some NVH.

5ABI VT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT
Had my first experience yesterday. car was cold though and i want to attribute it to that but couldnt ignore chiming in this thread. S197 pulled up beside wanting to play.. nailed it in 2nd and vroom... no chance 3rd was going in. Dont want to get an MGW the Mt82 isnt worth it to me so far. Id rather get a 6060.. and instead of that Id rather sell this car and get a used gt350 before spending any more.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Had my first experience yesterday. car was cold though and i want to attribute it to that but couldnt ignore chiming in this thread. S197 pulled up beside wanting to play.. nailed it in 2nd and vroom... no chance 3rd was going in. Dont want to get an MGW the Mt82 isnt worth it to me so far. Id rather get a 6060.. and instead of that Id rather sell this car and get a used gt350 before spending any more.
The shifter is junk. The trans isn't really the issue.They can handle high hp surprisingly well and have really good ratios for this engine. Is it the best you can put in the car? No, but it's definitely not bad at all once you get the right fluid in it and replace the shifter with a transmission mounted one.

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm sure the MGW / Barton etc shifters are a vast improvement over stock - the transmission is working well enough for me right now. I plan on installing the Steeda Transmission insert tonight - and I'll report back any difference that may make - but I was able to get in several 'spirited' driving session in last night on a friend's property.

Multiple 2-3 shifts right at redline with no ill effects or lockouts. I did bounce the rev limiter once....:doh:

I noticed the 'lighter' the touch, the better it shifted.

Just my 2 cents FWIW
Sponsored