Sponsored

2018 Twin disc/flywheel swap.

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Not a high powered car so don't need the holding power of an RST, Mantic so would this be a decent upgrade when parts become available? Also trying to keep chatter, nvh to a minimum as well.
Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Not a high powered car so don't need the holding power of an RST, Mantic so would this be a decent upgrade when parts become available? Also trying to keep chatter, nvh to a minimum as well.
If everything fits ok I would say it would be an excellent choice. Ford finally figured out the issues of the 15-17 clutch.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I am planning on going this route when the time comes if it is a direct fit. I would be surprised if it isn't, TBH.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The 15-17 cars have a DMF correct?

I'd imagine the 18 is the same? I'd love a lighter flywheel with OEM quality.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
Go aftermarket. Why pay higher cost for something that was outsourced to the lowest bidder?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kong76

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT
Go aftermarket. Why pay higher cost for something that was outsourced to the lowest bidder?
Thats a great point. I cant see anything being worse than the 15-17 manual clutches. I don't know of any aftermarket clutches that dont have a downside. Be it nvh, chatter from needing more rpms etc. Looking for good dampening and it being hub spring with dual mass flywheel figured it would be pretty quiet. If you have any recommendations that meet those needs, I am all ears.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I seriously doubt the '18 OE clutch will be more than a Mantic clutch, and it won't have any daily usability vices that most aftermarket clutches do. We shall see.

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
What drawbacks are there to the RST? I know the RXT has been causing issues with being too good and breaking transmissions.
I'm planning on the RST when time comes.

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
The 15-17 cars have a DMF correct?

I'd imagine the 18 is the same? I'd love a lighter flywheel with OEM quality.
Pretty sure the 15-17 do not have a DMF, hence the area of improvement in the 18 is just that.

Given that, a DMF is typically pretty expensive. Even for my Speed3, the DMF alone costs $1000 alone, while the clutch itself is pretty cheap.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Exedy, Spec, etc. Lots of options.

In my Subaru, I used a factory clutch/flywheel from another Subaru model with the same transmission. Worked fine for me. But I only did it because it was the cheapest option to get a "better" clutch design and doing so was less expensive than aftermarket options.
Sponsored