Sponsored

1st Gear Lock-out after new clutch and MGW

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT base with 3.55's
Installed the BG tranny and rear axle fluid yesterday. I can't believe how much of a difference the fluid swap made. Have not experienced any difficulty getting into gear and shifter feels a lot less notchy. If anyone else with a MT-82 hasn't done this swap, I highly recommend it.

I'd say the fluid made more of a noticeable difference than when I upgraded to the CF driveshaft.
I’m currently running the Amsoil blend, but think I may give this a shot as well.
Sponsored

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
So today the issue with first gear lock-out came back. Also noticed a faint metallic whining/whirling sound while clutch is disengaged. I called Exedy support and was advised it sounds like a bad pilot bearing.

I spoke with the dealer who installed the kit and they advised that they never swapped out my OEM pilot bearing as the one supplied in the Exedy kit looked like the same thing and that my factory pilot bearing seemed ok, so they just kept the stock one in.

Nonetheless, they are going to redo the job and replace the OEM pilot bearing with the new one that came with the Exedy kit.

I'll let you guys know how I make out once they swap it out.

Has anyone ever heard of a pilot bearing going bad in 6,000 miles before?

yellowragtop

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 mustang conv
On your list of aftermarket parts, I do not see "Remote Clutch Bleeder". (Perfect time to have this installed is while the transmission is removed).

This device would let you prove that your clutch fluid line is free of air, and that the throwout bearing is traveling as far as possible to disengage the clutch when the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

Everytime you say the shifter won't go into 1st, I automatically assume the clutch disk or disks are still rotating while the clutch pedal is fully depressed.

the clutch assembly likely comes with it's own specific throwout bearing designed for use with that specific clutch assembly. i will assume the installers did not use the factory original throwout bearing, and they installed the new throwout bearing assembly to the transmission.

good luck and i hope you have resolved the issue with 1st gear. i do not see how a pilot bushing would fail so quickly. I have one in my old mustang now which has been there for 100,000 miles.

peace out.

jvm051

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang GT base with 3.55's
My throwout and pilot bearing were replaced. My setup came as a package deal

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
So before going through the hassle of swapping out the pilot bearing, we attempted to bleed the clutch. Went through holding vacuum at 20psi for 15 minutes, slowing pumping the clutch pedal and repeat 3 times. After the 2nd go around, we noticing much less fluctuation with the vacuum gauge upon pressing the clutch.

Drove it home from the shop and gear changes seemed to just fall into place. Woke up in the morning, about 30 degrees outside, and drove to work without any lockout. So far two cold days in a row and no lockout.

Keeping my hopes up that we finally got it, and after all it was just some air left in the line that was causing the issue.

Sponsored

tom_sprecher

Living Race Car Free
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP 6MT Race Red
To the OP, did the thorough clutch bleeding fix the problem after a year and a half? I have the same issue six months after having the master cylinder replaced under warranty due to the pedal slowly dropping to the floor over time. The slave was removed and bench tested, so the whole system was apart.

OP
OP
stang17

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
Ended up being a defective clutch from Exedy. After exhaustive testing and troubleshooting they sent me a brand new clutch and flywheel. When we took the first Exedy out we noticed the bolts on the pressure plate were loose. We believe the pressure plate was mishandled by UPS/FedEx and it was installed by the dealer damaged from the get go . Put the 2nd Exedy in and has been driving like a dream without any complaints.
Sponsored