Sponsored

Hey you FI dataloggers

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Not sure if you are mixing up timing vs. boost. My boost was measured at 8.75 psi on the dyno sheet. Timing I recall was around 18-20 degrees.
That is a lot of timing for 91 octane. Would definitely want to turn the timing back a bit, turn it down to 15-16* of spark advance and see how the car does. 91 octane is your main limiting factor though
Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
First question to ask your new tuner guy " how many fi s550's have you tuned and can I talk with one of them " if the answer is no walk away... I know I am a Lund fan boy but it's hard to find people who are unhappy with their work.. just say'n local boys don't work with the volume of the bigger know brands

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
Agreed with others, that seems like alot of timing for 91.

On 93 I am at 18*, I would expect 91 to be slightly lower otherwise you will get knock.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
91 timing should be around 16, but I have seen the ford ecu add timing to around 18 on some cars. Mine was at 16 on 91. You may see some occasional positive knock when letting off or getting on the throttle abruptly. This doesn't matter as much as knock at WOT, or under load. You shouldn't get any knock at WOT.

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Sounds like you're seeing A LOT of timing for 91 octane. I'm not seeing above 17-18 psi on 93 octane. 20 seems like E85 territory but correct me if I'm wrong.
Agree 20 degrees is pretty high for 91 oct,however u can run up to 21 with 93 and and a octane additive,but 20 is pretty high for 91 oct fuel.

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
First question to ask your new tuner guy " how many fi s550's have you tuned and can I talk with one of them " if the answer is no walk away... I know I am a Lund fan boy but it's hard to find people who are unhappy with their work.. just say'n local boys don't work with the volume of the bigger know brands
True words. Learned that for myself just within the last few days.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks guys, sounds like there is hope. I have faith it's going to work out, sounds like the timing advance is the ticket.

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Thanks guys, sounds like there is hope. I have faith it's going to work out, sounds like the timing advance is the ticket.
ask your tuner why he thought 20* of timing was a good idea on 91...I would love to hear that answer!

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
That is a lot of timing for 91 octane. Would definitely want to turn the timing back a bit, turn it down to 15-16* of spark advance and see how the car does. 91 octane is your main limiting factor though
On pump fuel 91 and 93

I have seen cars be able to hold anywhere from 15-23 degrees.

Same car, same boost, same tune. Only difference is the quality of the fuel.

So it really just depends.
But if your car can take say 21 degrees all day everyday.
No reason to turn it down to 15.

You should have ZERO or NEGATIVE KR. If the KR value is positive you will nee to troubleshoot accordingly.
That statement is not really true.

These cars even in stock form are set up to add and remove as needed.
(And should) Hence the beauty of an active knock sensor system. :)

Heck just from tank to tank of fuel you can get a 1-4 degree swing in timing. And not everyone is going to have a tune for every different tank of gas they get.

Davepurp

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
In line with this same topic, Can anyone tell me if heat either Ambient, IAT, or Even Head/Coolant Temps have any effect on the chances of pulling knock?

I had an issue with False knock that was solved, a few weeks back. Just noticed on the log I hit minimal knock under partial throttle once or twice on a 20 mile highway drive. Wasnt sure if the it could be bad gas that ill try and test with some octanium, or if it was a result of our first 100 degree weather in slow moving traffic. But again something else could be loose, but I didnt think it would be pulling under a degree or two of knock last time is was 4-6 degrees

My Temps were
outside temp ~100
IAT ~107
Head Temp~ 215
ECT~193

Sponsored

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
In line with this same topic, Can anyone tell me if heat either Ambient, IAT, or Even Head/Coolant Temps have any effect on the chances of pulling knock?

I had an issue with False knock that was solved, a few weeks back. Just noticed on the log I hit minimal knock under partial throttle once or twice on a 20 mile highway drive. Wasnt sure if the it could be bad gas that ill try and test with some octanium, or if it was a result of our first 100 degree weather in slow moving traffic. But again something else could be loose, but I didnt think it would be pulling under a degree or two of knock last time is was 4-6 degrees

My Temps were
outside temp ~100
IAT ~107
Head Temp~ 215
ECT~193
Higher IATs will be more susceptible to knocking, but it still shouldn't with a proper tune.

Does it knock at WOT or only part throttle? May be false knock again? Also even my car in stock form knocked a degree or two at part throttle, but not at WOT, so I believe part-throttle knock isnt as important.

If your running on the very edge of timing, maybe you need a degree or two subtracted from your tune due to the hotter weather, or you may have just got a tank of bad gas.

I would check for knock at WOT and/or inform your tuner what your seeing if you still see it with your next tank of gas.

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
Can anyone tell me if heat either Ambient, IAT, or Even Head/Coolant Temps have any effect on the chances of pulling knock?
Yes and yes.

Plus also add things like Fuel Pressure, Duty Cycle, and other things the ECU looks at in the background. ;) But then we are getting off track.

Davepurp

Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt Premium
Higher IATs will be more susceptible to knocking, but it still shouldn't with a proper tune.

Does it knock at WOT or only part throttle? May be false knock again? Also even my car in stock form knocked a degree or two at part throttle, but not at WOT, so I believe part-throttle knock isnt as important.

If your running on the very edge of timing, maybe you need a degree or two subtracted from your tune due to the hotter weather, or you may have just got a tank of bad gas.

I would check for knock at WOT and/or inform your tuner what your seeing if you still see it with your next tank of gas.
When I went WOT it was after the traffic started moving a little more and temps were dropping, but I think I saw .3 or .4 knock for a second before it went back to 0
Other pulls it would add timing or register at 0 as it usually did

ProChargerTECH

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang(s)
When I went WOT it was after the traffic started moving a little more and temps were dropping, but I think I saw .3 or .4 knock for a second before it went back to 0
Other pulls it would add timing or register at 0 as it usually did
If its .3 and .4 you are beyond golden.

Heck I have seen up to 3+ on stone stock cars. (NA, no mods)

If you saw "0" all the time, THEN I would be worried.
Cause 99% of the time, that means they have been disabled.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
ask your tuner why he thought 20* of timing was a good idea on 91...I would love to hear that answer!
Yeah, not going to happen. I don't want to ever see him again. Turning off my knock sensors and telling me straight out in two conversations that he didn't do that and never would puts him into the category of someone that is a waste of breath to talk to.
Sponsored