Sponsored

Hey you FI dataloggers

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Do you get 0 knock, just a little knock or a whole bunch of knock. I have 91 octane and have had the knock sensors always registering knock since installing the blower. Just curious if others experience the same and if it's just something I shouldn't be worrying about. Course doesn't help that 2/3 of the country has 93 octane so probably not many others out there with 91 to comment. Anyone? Beuler? Anyone?
Sponsored

Crackerjack17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
He's at 31 flavors. Anyhow, I run 93 from sunoco and it varies. Sometime under light throttle I see knock. It pulls 4-5 degrees. Mostly cruising 0 KR. Wot sometime see slight 1-2 knock but usually adds up to 2-4 degrees.

If I put octanium in, it's pegged on adding 4 degrees under wot. Never see any knock. And that's adding a can to a full tank.

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
You should have ZERO or NEGATIVE KR. If the KR value is positive you will nee to troubleshoot accordingly.

IF you feel it's real knock due to 91 octane, toss some torco or 100+ octane fuel in there and see if it goes away. If it does then it's real and you need higher octane fuel, less timing, or richer PE lambda.

If it does not go away on 100+ octane then you can try pulling some timing, if iKR still registers the same value then it's safe to say it's prob fake knock and you should start trying to locate the source.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
You should have ZERO or NEGATIVE KR. If the KR value is positive you will nee to troubleshoot accordingly.

IF you feel it's real knock due to 91 octane, toss some torco or 100+ octane fuel in there and see if it goes away. If it does then it's real and you need higher octane fuel, less timing, or richer PE lambda.

If it does not go away on 100+ octane then you can try pulling some timing, if iKR still registers the same value then it's safe to say it's prob fake knock and you should start trying to locate the source.
So you're saying you don't get any knock, curious what type of blower you have, wondering if that's the difference?

Yes I've verified with additive and it goes away with more octane.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
He's at 31 flavors. Anyhow, I run 93 from sunoco and it varies. Sometime under light throttle I see knock. It pulls 4-5 degrees. Mostly cruising 0 KR. Wot sometime see slight 1-2 knock but usually adds up to 2-4 degrees.

If I put octanium in, it's pegged on adding 4 degrees under wot. Never see any knock. And that's adding a can to a full tank.
Hey man, thanks!! It's tough to get anyone to give an honest answer, much appreciated. Sounds like yours does the same thing as mine, but slightly less, probably because you're on 93. Thanks!!

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
If it goes away with more octane then you need to run better fuel or take away timing.
I read all these post about knock and feel very lucky. I have NEVER seen positive knock readings. Its 0 unless i'm in it and then nothing but - numbers. On E85 now so I wouldn't expect it but when I was on 93 same thing.

RHDZach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zach
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Performance Package
I'm always reading zero knock. When i did have knock after my blower install, it was because i forgot to tighten down my strut bar. Since i fixed that, i've never been over zero.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
Under full load im seeing -1 to -3 or -4 sometimes KNOCKR on the nGauge.

16* 12.5psi.

ahl395

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allan
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2006 Infiniti G35X
I never see positive knock, I get negative knock (adding timing) though regularly. I do have a bit of false knock at 4k light throttle but that is unrelated.

If you're seeing knock but it goes away with additive, I would guess you have too much timing set. Who is doing your tuning? I would let them know and they should be able to fix it (although they should have already the first time it was tuned)

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
Better not see knock under WOT! I had some false knock previously but that has been fixed. If better gas is causing yours to go away then its not something that is loose, you have a real issue whether its gas, tune, etc... how long have you been seeing it in logs?

I am at 12.4psi 17.5* at 7300rpm -.559 knock. that was the top of my most recent log. Negative knock the whole way up under WOT. 0 just driving around, I never see positive knock.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
First thanks for all the replies. From the responses it seems lots of you aren't seeing any positive knock, and looking at your locations, I'm guessing that you all have access to 93 octane at the pump? I'm trying to see if everyone who is limited to 91 octane only sees positive knock when going FI.

I never see positive knock, I get negative knock (adding timing) though regularly. I do have a bit of false knock at 4k light throttle but that is unrelated.

If you're seeing knock but it goes away with additive, I would guess you have too much timing set. Who is doing your tuning? I would let them know and they should be able to fix it (although they should have already the first time it was tuned)
I'm working with a tuner that gets high praises on here, just showed him how the knock goes away with octane additive. So I have to burn through this tank before I'm back to straight 91. Hoping he can do something by reducing timing, or something else way out of my skill set. I don't have any logs here with me, but I'm thinking I'm at somewhere around 20 degees, maybe 18.

Better not see knock under WOT! I had some false knock previously but that has been fixed. If better gas is causing yours to go away then its not something that is loose, you have a real issue whether its gas, tune, etc... how long have you been seeing it in logs?

I am at 12.4psi 17.5* at 7300rpm -.559 knock. that was the top of my most recent log. Negative knock the whole way up under WOT. 0 just driving around, I never see positive knock.
I've been seeing it in logs ever since I installed the PC system in December with their tune, which they could never get to drive right. So they sent me to a local tuner who fixed the drivability 1st try. But I showed him the knock and showed him how it went away with octane additive. He kept the car overnight and showed me he had fixed it. Well it turned out he just turned off the sensors and called that "fixed". I think I was at 20 degrees with his tune. Now it's in the hands of another tuner who I just showed the whole "goes away with additive" thing. Now I'm just hoping it can be made to work with 91 octane in general. Mainly want to find others out there with 91 octane that have no knock, that would give me hope.

Thanks again for the replies.

Phoenix

Instagram: PhoenixNFA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Tech AvGrey/Black Stripes
yeah im on valero 93 octane only.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
First thanks for all the replies. From the responses it seems lots of you aren't seeing any positive knock, and looking at your locations, I'm guessing that you all have access to 93 octane at the pump? I'm trying to see if everyone who is limited to 91 octane only sees positive knock when going FI.

I'm working with a tuner that gets high praises on here, just showed him how the knock goes away with octane additive. So I have to burn through this tank before I'm back to straight 91. Hoping he can do something by reducing timing, or something else way out of my skill set. I don't have any logs here with me, but I'm thinking I'm at somewhere around 20 degees, maybe 18.

I've been seeing it in logs ever since I installed the PC system in December with their tune, which they could never get to drive right. So they sent me to a local tuner who fixed the drivability 1st try. But I showed him the knock and showed him how it went away with octane additive. He kept the car overnight and showed me he had fixed it. Well it turned out he just turned off the sensors and called that "fixed". I think I was at 20 degrees with his tune. Now it's in the hands of another tuner who I just showed the whole "goes away with additive" thing. Now I'm just hoping it can be made to work with 91 octane in general. Mainly want to find others out there with 91 octane that have no knock, that would give me hope.

Thanks again for the replies.
Sounds like you're seeing A LOT of timing for 91 octane. I'm not seeing above 17-18 psi on 93 octane. 20 seems like E85 territory but correct me if I'm wrong.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Sounds like you're seeing A LOT of timing for 91 octane. I'm not seeing above 17-18 psi on 93 octane. 20 seems like E85 territory but correct me if I'm wrong.
Not sure if you are mixing up timing vs. boost. My boost was measured at 8.75 psi on the dyno sheet. Timing I recall was around 18-20 degrees.
Sponsored