Sponsored

Gt350 vs Porsche

klinkman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Turbo, 2012 Audi S4, 2006 GTI, 2017 GT350
I am fortunate enough to own a 2007 911 Turbo I purchased used about two years ago. Last week I took delivery of my 2017 GT350. They are completely different cars, to be sure, unique in their own ways. For me, the sound of the GT350 is cool and even better with the resonator delete (they were removed Thursday). But to me there is no comparison between the two as drivers cars. The 911's acceleration in all RPMs is much more enjoyable that the natural aspirated V8, which to me certainly seems dead down low. You really need to push the GT350 out to high RPMs to enjoy its power comparably. Seems to me it makes a lot of noise but isn't going anywhere compared to the instant power thrust of the 911TT.I prefer the smaller, lighter 911 for handling as well. The GT350 handles well, for sure, but at in my mind not even close to my 911. They are different driving experiences, to be sure (and that is why I own both), but I'll take my 911TT without hesitation any day of the week over the Shelby. Of course if you were buying a new one, the 911 would be twice the price of the GT350, but bought used at the same price as the Shelby I way prefer the 911TT. Just my 2 cents....and I only have owned the Gt350 for a week....
Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I've test driven some Porsches, and they seemed too much like a library inside. The engine is quiet, and the flat 6 does not sound good. Porsche is definitely a better size than the Mustang. I think modern Mustangs are a little too big and boaty. Porsches are also too hooked up IMO. With the engine over the rear tires the car just isn't very loose and I find that boring. The biggest thing for me is that Porsches aren't a good value. They are great cars for sure. If you have a ton of extra money around, love cars and want a Porsche I wouldn't discourage you from buying one. But if you want good value for your money I don't think Porsche is the way to go.

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
So gotta ask, which would you choose as your ONLY road car for pleasure driving? In other words which one gives you more smiles per mile on the road?:headbang:

I am still contemplating the gt350 as a replacement for my 2016 Cayman S I don't track my cars and only drive for pleasure (not commuting).

I can't seem swing a test drive of the Gt350, so I would love your views on how the gt350 compares to the cayman...
Road car for pleasure (and spirited cruising).... my vote goes to the new 991.2 911 overall. It's the complete package really. As for the 350 vs. the Cayman- they're two different animals but are beasts in their own rights. Like what others have said the 350's sound is unparalled but the Cayman (and the 911) is lighter and more nimble. Amenities, features, build quality, fit & finish, and its comprehensive high-perfomance capability goes to the Porsche IMHO.

baege

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CAYMAN S
Road car for pleasure (and spirited cruising).... my vote goes to the new 991.2 911 overall. It's the complete package really. As for the 350 vs. the Cayman- they're two different animals but are beasts in their own rights. Like what others have said the 350's sound is unparalled but the Cayman (and the 911) is lighter and more nimble. Amenities, features, build quality, fit & finish, and its comprehensive high-perfomance capability goes to the Porsche IMHO.

cheers on the thoughts
so you'd pick the GT4 then if could only have one as a road car for pleasure drives?

Sponsored

Bossing

attacks tracks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just can't get enuff!
cheers on the thoughts
so you'd pick the GT4 then if could only have one as a road car for pleasure drives?
Probably the 991 over the GT4 for more versatility... i.e. more compliant but still sporty suspension, more ground clearance, extra seats, and easier to drive overall. Now if handling & balance is the priority then the GT4 comes out ahead. The new flat6 3.0 twin-turbos in the 991.2 models however have more low end torque and better road usability than the GT4.

When my GT3 arrives I'll be trading in my 911 Carrera and I know for sure I'll miss it less aggressive demeanor. But a GT car is a GT car (e.g a true Motorsports engine & chassis) so enough said there.

Anyway the good thing is you can test drive 911's all day at Porsche dealers to see if it'll fit your liking.

mmm635

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350R
Porsches are also too hooked up IMO. With the engine over the rear tires the car just isn't very loose and I find that boring. The biggest thing for me is that Porsches aren't a good value. They are great cars for sure. If you have a ton of extra money around, love cars and want a Porsche I wouldn't discourage you from buying one. But if you want good value for your money I don't think Porsche is the way to go.
Man...you definitely need to do some research on Porsche on the track and in the market...get some first hand real world experience before laying down claims like that.

The GT350 was Ford's embellishment of the GT3 and executed it well

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Happiness equals owning both! :D

attachment.jpg

Actually, I'd be more than happy just having one in my garage.

My Carrera S is now 11 years old and there are times when I think it's time to sell it, as my GT350 more than satisfies my needs. But the two are so different that it's hard for me to part with one in favor of the other. The GT350 outperforms the 11 year old Porsche in every way, and looks & sounds way cooler while it's doing it. It's also more visceral and certainly has that muscle car attitude about it. But the 911 is better built, has a luxurious interior (mine has just about everything covered in leather), is lighter & more nimble, has better steering and the driving experience of the rear engine layout is something just unique to 911s. For me, there's also a "oneness" with the vehicle that's hard to describe. Having said that, the GT350 currently gets far more seat time, listening to that Voodoo is such a hoot!
:cheers:

Rogue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911 Carrera S, Boss 302 Laguna Seca, Jagua
American Muscle + Euro Muscle is the key - i've got virtually the exact same garage setup as McSpeedster and have also paired a Boss Laguna Seca and GT500 with the same 911 - endless entertainment.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Literally first world problems! I was also searching Porsche used
Specifically 911's. I was thwarted by cost of maintenance and mileage. Then I even looked at Caymans. Also messages a FB friend, Jason Cammisa about his opinion of an R or a Cayman. I went with tje R. Here is somthing for you to ponder, http://www.motortrend.com/awards/best-drivers-car/
There is a reason the GT350R won 2nd place.
Good luck car hunting.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Man...you definitely need to do some research on Porsche on the track and in the market...get some first hand real world experience before laying down claims like that.

The GT350 was Ford's embellishment of the GT3 and executed it well
Ha ha! You want to disagree so you say I don't know what I'm talking about! :lol:

I think I was being kind to Porsche in my last post, but I won't take the bait and say everything I think about many Porsches and their owners. Suffice it to say I fit in better with Mustang owners than Porsche owners and I'm happy about that.

on edit: I did enjoy the GT3 that I rented and did laps at a track in. It had good grip and the acceleration was decent as well. Still didn't like the sound that much and it wasn't worth the price. Even used ones are going for ~$150,000. I would pay maybe $45k for that car. Maybe a little less, because the consumables and service are going to be expensive.

spiller

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3
Ha ha! You want to disagree so you say I don't know what I'm talking about! :lol:

I think I was being kind to Porsche in my last post, but I won't take the bait and say everything I think about many Porsches and their owners. Suffice it to say I fit in better with Mustang owners than Porsche owners and I'm happy about that.

on edit: I did enjoy the GT3 that I rented and did laps at a track in. It had good grip and the acceleration was decent as well. Still didn't like the sound that much and it wasn't worth the price. Even used ones are going for ~$150,000. I would pay maybe $45k for that car. Maybe a little less, because the consumables and service are going to be expensive.
Honestly, I wouldn't base my experience of Porsche entirely on a few rented laps in a 991 GT3. Your comments about them being too hooked up and easy to drive couldn't be further from the truth. Step into one of the earlier generation GT3s without the nannies and then lets see what you think. The level of driver engagement and attention required for every little input is so high, that majority of people are either too scared to approach the limit or get into big trouble trying to find it. In one month with my GTPP on the street after extensively tracking my 996 GT3 for 2 years, I can already tell the pony car will be much, much easier to drive at the limit and far less engaging. No, its not a GT350 (we can't get them in Aus or else I would) but i'd guess the 350 is still a much easier car to get the most out of on track compared to an older generation (manual) GT3 or GT4 for that matter. The 991 GT3 caters to the masses with it's highly advanced stability control and PDK gearbox. It's pretty difficult to screw up with one on the track, although many have. Still more engaging than the pony car. 991RS is a different story again, much less forgiving car than the 991 GT3

Nothing against the GTPP/350/350R - great cars, just different kettle of fish. I want both :D

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Euro cars aren't my bag baby, but I can respect the passion people have for them. If I was to get a Euro it would be a farrari. Those speak to me more.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Honestly, I wouldn't base my experience of Porsche entirely on a few rented laps in a 991 GT3. Your comments about them being too hooked up and easy to drive couldn't be further from the truth. Step into one of the earlier generation GT3s without the nannies and then lets see what you think. The level of driver engagement and attention required for every little input is so high, that majority of people are either too scared to approach the limit or get into big trouble trying to find it. In one month with my GTPP on the street after extensively tracking my 996 GT3 for 2 years, I can already tell the pony car will be much, much easier to drive at the limit and far less engaging. No, its not a GT350 (we can't get them in Aus or else I would) but i'd guess the 350 is still a much easier car to get the most out of on track compared to an older generation (manual) GT3 or GT4 for that matter. The 991 GT3 caters to the masses with it's highly advanced stability control and PDK gearbox. It's pretty difficult to screw up with one on the track, although many have. Still more engaging than the pony car. 991RS is a different story again, much less forgiving car than the 991 GT3

Nothing against the GTPP/350/350R - great cars, just different kettle of fish. I want both :D
I 100% believe you about issues with an older rear engine car at the limit on the track. I haven't driven older Porsches. I actually would love to own one, but the prices are too high for me to afford. And the older stuff is slower as well.

The hooked up comment was more about every day driving on the street - and newer Porsches. Maybe the ultra expensive newer Turbo cars can spin the tires on the street, but the Porsches I've driven have been very tame at legal speeds driving like a "normal human being". Are you talking about trailing throttle oversteer in a corner on the track, or having issues getting power to the ground when accelerating from a stop or low speed ~30 mph or so?

And I did decide after driving that GT3 that I will never own a PDK vehicle unless I have no other choice. Might as well be an automatic. You say it's still more engaging than a Mustang - I think the PDK sucks big time as far as driver engagement goes.

If you haven't driven the Mustang on the track yet, you will find it to be an entirely different car on the track.
Sponsored