Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Auto-86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 2017 Fusion Sport
At least from this angle the Splitter seems a bit higher.
I've said it before, but was told they are the same.
Still don't like the new super pointy splitter.

The headlights from this angle, do look a bit more modern.

If they left the old splitter and that shape, and did not put
the angles @ outer edges of spoiler, it might not be half bad.
Everything below the grill is horrible.
IMG_9326.JPG
maxresdefault.jpg
Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Does anybody know if Ford has any big upcoming events?
No big American auto shows till LA in November. :(

The 5.8L Trinity engine that debuted in the 2013 Shelby GT500 was based on the antiquated 5.4L Condor. Unless Ford has a new 5.8L in the works, they don't really have a V8 architecture -- save for the heavy, two-valve 6.2L truck engine -- upon which to build a larger-displacement engine for the Mustang.
Ford is developing a new smaller and lighter 7.0L V8 for the heavy duty truck line to replace the V10. Union agreement confirmed it. But given the displacement if they were to put it into a Mustang it would be labeled a Boss 429 almost certainly.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
I am not sure the brought forward upper grille. I kinda like the grilles inline with each other.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I've said it before, but was told they are the same.
Still don't like the new super pointy splitter.

The headlights from this angle, do look a bit more modern.

If they left the old splitter and that shape, and did not put
the angles @ outer edges of spoiler, it might not be half bad.
Everything below the grill is horrible.
I like the pointy splitter. What I don't like (and didn't quite notice) is that the molding for the grill extends so far forward, almost all the way to the edge of the opening. That's kinda weird. Not really noticeable on dark colors, but very obvious on the red.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
I spend a lot of time in speed shops. The problem is the Camaro is likely making more than the advertised HP right now. The dyno numbers I've seen indicate the Camaro is most likely about 465 already. While the Mustang seams to be dead on at 435. The Mustang needs a big jump just to actually catch the current Camaros power. I for one don't know why Ford just doesn't use the 5.8 instead of the 5.0?:shrug:
They need to bring back a 351 Cleveland 4V :eyebulge: That would be a sweet setup in a modernized motor with VCT and those cubic inches.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

twiggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Don't like to say it but the picture of the 18 makes the picture of the 15 look very old and boring.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT
No big American auto shows till LA in November. :(

Ford is developing a new smaller and lighter 7.0L V8 for the heavy duty truck line to replace the V10. Union agreement confirmed it. But given the displacement if they were to put it into a Mustang it would be labeled a Boss 429 almost certainly.
Depending on the engine's actual cubic inch dimension (CID), the displacement of the new 7.0 engine could range from 427-429 cubic inches.
Considering Ford's performance engine naming/labeling heritage, options could include R-code, Cobra Jet/Super Cobra Jet and Boss 429.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the displacement of the FE (Ford/Edsel) 427 engine was actually 426.5 cubic inches.

It is my opinion that today's Ford is not terribly interested in reflecting back on or reconnecting with it's glorious 1960s-70's street performance heritage.
I do believe there will be some type of "halo" Mustang in the future.
However, based on Ford leadership's dedication to green technology, I think they will be content to just compete with the GM/FCA at this level, rather than produce a vehicle like the Demon for example.
Being the "top dog" in this particular arena is not a priority.

The future of people moving vehicles has been laid before us and it is all about hybrids and electrics....the sudden change in CEO's indicates/reflects that Ford is behind the eight ball and needs to play catchup quickly.

As awesome as a modern 7.0L Mustang would be, I just don't see it happening.
The Super Duty trucks need the new 7.0, the Mustang does not.
A CPC 351 would be sweet though, but I don't see anything like that happening either.

I see Ford's performance future revolving around around the EB TT V6, perhaps 2 small displacement TT V8s and high performance hybrids.

Today, Ford's competitor for street credibility, on both Wall Street and Main Street is Tesla.

My 2 cents.
:ford:

Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
Yep...
Remember this...
New-2017-Ford-Focus-RS500-1024x576.jpg

but got this...
ford-sends-off-2018-focus-rs-with-a-limited-edition-model__551671_.jpg

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
How much do u guys think a base ecoboost will run for the 18??
Well if the 2018 F-150 is any indication, with it's new refresh the base price went up $270. So I'd guess an increase of around that much over a 17 base ecoboost. Maybe slightly more.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Depending on the engine's actual cubic inch dimension (CID), the displacement of the new 7.0 engine could range from 427-429 cubic inches.
Considering Ford's performance engine naming/labeling heritage, options could include R-code, Cobra Jet/Super Cobra Jet and Boss 429.
If I'm not mistaken, I believe the displacement of the FE (Ford/Edsel) 427 engine was actually 426.5 cubic inches.

It is my opinion that today's Ford is not terribly interested in reflecting back on or reconnecting with it's glorious 1960s-70's street performance heritage.
I do believe there will be some type of "halo" Mustang in the future.
However, based on Ford leadership's dedication to green technology, I think they will be content to just compete with the GM/FCA at this level, rather than produce a vehicle like the Demon for example.
Being the "top dog" in this particular arena is not a priority.

The future of people moving vehicles has been laid before us and it is all about hybrids and electrics....the sudden change in CEO's indicates/reflects that Ford is behind the eight ball and needs to play catchup quickly.

As awesome as a modern 7.0L Mustang would be, I just don't see it happening.
The Super Duty trucks need the new 7.0, the Mustang does not.
A CPC 351 would be sweet though, but I don't see anything like that happening either.

I see Ford's performance future revolving around around the EB TT V6, perhaps 2 small displacement TT V8s and high performance hybrids.

Today, Ford's competitor for street credibility, on both Wall Street and Main Street is Tesla.

My 2 cents.
I think Ford has shown that they care about heritage with the rush to show the 2015 on the 50th anniversary of the original debut, the 50th LE, rushing to get out a few 2015 GT350s to line up with the 50th of that, and now some hints that a Bullitt will come in time for it's 50th anniversary too. Ford Performance has still only done 6 of the 12 models they promised by 2020. I don't know what special editions they'll do but I'm expecting several including Bullitt, Mach 1 and Cobra at least. We're running out of time so expect a blitz of special models once the regular 18s are established. Whether they go as crazy as a 7.0L Mustang, I agree it's not the most likely but I think there's still a few muscle car lovers at Ford that might be lobbying for it, especially if they already have the engine for it.

Having said that, I agree with you about the future. The hybrid Mustang announcement shows where they plan to go. I think Ford recognizes we're in this performance bubble similar to the late 60s and early 70s. The Demons, Hellcats and the like can't last forever, and with Tesla's buzz and the demand for driverless cars, eventually we'll enter another Malaise era of driverless, silent people-moving blobs and it seems that Ford is eager to jump on that bandwagon.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
cubic inch dimension (CID),

CID: Cubic Inch Displacement

Not interested in reflecting back on heritage? Mach 1, Cobra, GT500, Boss 302, GT350 all seem like a callback to the 60's.
Sponsored