Sponsored

Hey you FI dataloggers

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT VERT
No 91 info.... I had knock activity with winter blend 93. I could only get 14* timing and torco got me to 16*. But it wasn't really clean.
Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I've done a lot of testing recently and found much more knock activity than I want. All test runs were done from 3500 rpm to my shift light activation at 7300 rpm from 3rd to 4th gears. Whipple calibration and used Ngauge to log the runs. I video the gauge is what I did and had boost, lambda, knocker, spark advance and true dedicated IAT 2 sensor which I installed. I cant say I'm completely happy with the knock I was seeing especially with the 11 psi pulley as 93 octane should make the knocker happy.

93 octane last summer 3.75" whipple pulley makes 9.5-10 psi 21 degrees advance no knock

The test below were all done within a 3 day period last week.
93 octane 3.5" pulley 13 psi 15 spark advance and 3-4 degrees positive knock

91 octane non ethanol shell 3.5" 13 psi 13 spark advance and s hit load of knock 4-5 positive:eyebulge:

93 octane top tear station 3.625" 11 psi 16 spark advance 2 degrees positive knock.

VP100 canned race fuel 3.3" 14 psi pulley 18-20 degrees timing and -2 knock :headbang:

Last edited:

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
3.5" pulley is way too much boost for 91 oct.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
3.5" pulley is way too much boost for 91 oct.

I know! the 3.5" pulley is rated for 95 octane and above by Whipple. The only reason I tried the 91 was I trying a fuel additive ACES IV from BND that was supposed to raise octane levels and my tests proved otherwise.

A couple other factors came into play with me testing the 91. One was its a non ethanol gas and those don't degrade like the 93 octane gases sold with ethanol. I was trying to rule out bad gas as well. Also some 91 fuel have been shown to produce more octane resistance than some 93's. So it was a test only.

Foxracing19931

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
I've done a lot of testing recently and found much more knock activity than I want. All test runs were done from 3500 rpm to my shift light activation at 7300 rpm from 3rd to 4th gears. Whipple calibration and used Ngauge to log the runs. I video the gauge is what I did and had boost, lambda, knocker, spark advance and true dedicated IAT 2 sensor which I installed. I cant say I'm completely happy with the knock I was seeing especially with the 11 psi pulley as 93 octane should make the knocker happy.

93 octane last summer 3.75" whipple pulley makes 9.5-10 psi 21 degrees advance no knock

The test below were all done within a 3 day period last week.
93 octane 3.5" pulley 13 psi 15 spark advance and 3-4 degrees positive knock

91 octane non ethanol shell 3.5" 13 psi 13 spark advance and s hit load of knock 4-5 positive:eyebulge:

93 octane top tear station 3.625" 11 psi 16 spark advance 2 degrees positive knock.

VP100 canned race fuel 3.3" 14 psi pulley 18-20 degrees timing and -2 knock :headbang:
Interesting I've done some datalogging also with 3.5 with just 93 and the most positive knock I got was .50 on just one log the others were averaging -.20 and below.. are you on the 10rib system or 6?

Sponsored

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I know! the 3.5" pulley is rated for 95 octane and above by Whipple. The only reason I tried the 91 was I trying a fuel additive ACES IV from BND that was supposed to raise octane levels and my tests proved otherwise.

A couple other factors came into play with me testing the 91. One was its a non ethanol gas and those don't degrade like the 93 octane gases sold with ethanol. I was trying to rule out bad gas as well. Also some 91 fuel have been shown to produce more octane resistance than some 93's. So it was a test only.
I also ordered some of the ACES stuff and was looking forward to testing it out. Was hopeful it would help me with the positive knock I'm seeing on the 91 we have in town. I'm seeing (edit - looked at logs again. There were some 6- 7s early on, latest tune revision is is rarely at 4* now) pos knock with the Chevron 91 in the tank. I've tried multiple stations around town and it's always been the same. When I put Race Gas concentrate in it the pos knock completely disappears and it goes all negative. I've been working with a new tuner and he's even dialed my advance back to 14 and the knock values are just as high. Really kind of a bummer. Wishing we had some 93 around here, but no such luck.

On a side note, I put in a 170 thermostat and had the fans adjusted in the tune and the head temps are nice and low now. They hover below 190-200 nearly all the time until I get on it, I think the highest I've seen them is 215, before the swap I'd seen 226 whenever I pushed it. So at least that's good news, not looking forward to seeing how it handles a cold day next winter.

Last edited:

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Interesting I've done some datalogging also with 3.5 with just 93 and the most positive knock I got was .50 on just one log the others were averaging -.20 and below.. are you on the 10rib system or 6?
I'm using 6 rib. I was very surprised to see that much knock on a 3.625" pulley.

I also ordered some of the ACES stuff and was looking forward to testing it out. Was hopeful it would help me with the positive knock I'm seeing on the 91 we have in town. I'm seeing 6-7* pos knock with the Chevron 91 in the tank. I've tried multiple stations around town and it's always been the same. When I put Race Gas concentrate in it the pos knock completely disappears and it goes all negative. I've been working with a new tuner and he's even dialed my advance back to 14 and the knock values are just as high. Really kind of a bummer. Wishing we had some 93 around here, but no such luck.

On a side note, I put in a 170 thermostat and had the fans adjusted in the tune and the head temps are nice and low now. They hover below 190-200 nearly all the time until I get on it, I think the highest I've seen them is 215, before the swap I'd seen 226 whenever I pushed it. So at least that's good news, not looking forward to seeing how it handles a cold day next winter.
That's a lot of positive knock your getting, also what pulley you running with that knock activity?

I was no happy to find ACES IV didn't really add any knock value or octane.

Don

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP, Wipple Stage 2
I just bought ACES after reading about it here. Was hopeful but not sounding good from your tests. I noticed you added 2 ounces to a tank. When I spoke to Brian he said 2 ounces in a 16 gal tank wouldn't do much, if anything. 2 ounces treats up to 12 gallons and drops off like a bell curve after that. Just wondering if you added to a full tank or not? Thanks

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
I just bought ACES after reading about it here. Was hopeful but not sounding good from your tests. I noticed you added 2 ounces to a tank. When I spoke to Brian he said 2 ounces in a 16 gal tank wouldn't do much, if anything. 2 ounces treats up to 12 gallons and drops off like a bell curve after that. Just wondering if you added to a full tank or not? Thanks
I added 2 oz per 12 gallons, but during my testing tried 3 oz per 12 gal and it didn't make any dofference.

I read in another post about adding 2 ounces to take 93 over 100 in 16 gallons. I laughed out loud and thought good luck with that.
I'm not laughing:headbonk:

Sponsored
OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
That's a lot of positive knock your getting, also what pulley you running with that knock activity?

Yeah as far as I know it is a lot of pos knock. I sure wish I would have logged it stock on the 91, for all I know it was having pos knock bone stock. Wishing there was some sort of publication I could find from Ford on what knock values are considered normal in factory form, shit plenty of guys using 87, would be interesting to see something from the engineers.
I'm on the standard 4.75" pulley that came with the Procharger kit. Bummer to hear that on the aces stuff.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
Yeah as far as I know it is a lot of pos knock. I sure wish I would have logged it stock on the 91, for all I know it was having pos knock bone stock. Wishing there was some sort of publication I could find from Ford on what knock values are considered normal in factory form, shit plenty of guys using 87, would be interesting to see something from the engineers.
I'm on the standard 4.75" pulley that came with the Procharger kit. Bummer to hear that on the aces stuff.
What boost level do you see? So many things affect knock and timing advance. Gas inconsistency is a big culprit of knock logic being more active from one time to the next.

Ford knock logic is made to always be optimizing power by adding and subtracting timing with the knock logic. So positive knock is not abnormal, it's just how much and how consistent it happens I think.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
What boost level do you see? So many things affect knock and timing advance. Gas inconsistency is a big culprit of knock logic being more active from one time to the next.

Ford knock logic is made to always be optimizing power by adding and subtracting timing with the knock logic. So positive knock is not abnormal, it's just how much and how consistent it happens I think.
There isn't any inconsistency (lol) in the gas I can find, it all acts the same way at least between the 5 or 6 stations I've tried over the last few months.
I don't have a boost gauge yet. Can't find any mounting spots I really like. When it was on the dyno it measured 8.75 psi. For some reason I think the high compression of the coyote just isn't meant for FI and 91 octane, didn't see that on the Procharger brochure though,lol.

Foxracing19931

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt premium
I was seeing some positive knock around February with 3.625 pulley but I assumed that was winter blend and shit gas and since then I've been running the 3.5 with no issues max boost on logs was 12.5-12.7 timing is like 15-18 on 93 and 20-22 with octanium added

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
There isn't any inconsistency (lol) in the gas I can find, it all acts the same way at least between the 5 or 6 stations I've tried over the last few months.
I don't have a boost gauge yet. Can't find any mounting spots I really like. When it was on the dyno it measured 8.75 psi. For some reason I think the high compression of the coyote just isn't meant for FI and 91 octane, didn't see that on the Procharger brochure though,lol.
I was seeing some positive knock around February with 3.625 pulley but I assumed that was winter blend and shit gas and since then I've been running the 3.5 with no issues max boost on logs was 12.5-12.7 timing is like 15-18 on 93 and 20-22 with octanium added

What are you guys using to verify knocker activity and timing advance?
Sponsored