Sponsored

IAT showing excessive heat

ChiTownStang26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium ~2016 Mustang V6(sold)~
Don't want to derail the thread but will do it anyways lol.. Regarding the t-stat, I want to go this route but living in Chicago winter temps get down to 0* so I'm guessing I couldn't keep the 170 stat in when it gets colder right? Just put stock back in? Or would it not matter cause by the time the engines 170* it's pretty warmed up already?
Sponsored

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
Don't want to derail the thread but will do it anyways lol.. Regarding the t-stat, I want to go this route but living in Chicago winter temps get down to 0* so I'm guessing I couldn't keep the 170 stat in when it gets colder right? Just put stock back in? Or would it not matter cause by the time the engines 170* it's pretty warmed up already?
Here's a good read that will sum it up better than I can: http://reischeperformance.com/WhyLowTemp.html

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Metallic V6, 1970 mustang convertible
On a similar line of thought...have people thought about putting in heat extractors. Im thinking about putting in these https://www.velox-motorsports.com/product-page/hood-louver-kit-large-vents-only-ft86

Was thinking towards the back...but not all the way...in the middle of the hood. The idea is that the air flow over the hood will act as a vacuum and extract the extra heat. In addition, it should prevent the hood from "popping-up" at higher speeds. Thoughts?

whatdoyoufeedit?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Race Red EB A10 (Formerly 2016 3X Yellow V6 M6), 1996 Mercury Cougar XR7 4.6L A4 (Future Coyote swap candidate)
On a similar line of thought...have people thought about putting in heat extractors. Im thinking about putting in these https://www.velox-motorsports.com/product-page/hood-louver-kit-large-vents-only-ft86

Was thinking towards the back...but not all the way...in the middle of the hood. The idea is that the air flow over the hood will act as a vacuum and extract the extra heat. In addition, it should prevent the hood from "popping-up" at higher speeds. Thoughts?
Probably would be better to just use the GT hood. They have all types of extractors that replace the stock ones depending on what you want. All the work/cutting has been done. If I stumble across a 3X Yellow one locally I would upgrade if the price was right.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
Probably would be better to just use the GT hood. They have all types of extractors that replace the stock ones depending on what you want. All the work/cutting has been done. If I stumble across a 3X Yellow one locally I would upgrade if the price was right.
Well call me nuts...but for me, I am not that much of a fan of where the stock hood extractors are. Besides...if you look at the wind-tunnel tests, the laminar air-flow is still attached before it hits the windshield. I think the the stock hood extractors are too far forward and I might get more effective heat extraction if I put them in the center and more towards the back. I plan on going over some figures with a friend of mine who is an aerodynamic engineer and see what he thinks.

Sponsored

USMC V6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Premium 51A, GT 18"wheels, spoiler
Well call me nuts...but for me, I am not that much of a fan of where the stock hood extractors are. Besides...if you look at the wind-tunnel tests, the laminar air-flow is still attached before it hits the windshield. I think the the stock hood extractors are too far forward and I might get more effective heat extraction if I put them in the center and more towards the back. I plan on going over some figures with a friend of mine who is an aerodynamic engineer and see what he thinks.
If you look at the GT350 and GT the heat extractors are in the front of the hood, the air-flow across the hood back to the windshild then is sucked under the hood and flows to the front.

DR_

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
like a complete jerk
The MAP sensor, which has the IAT thermostat in it, gets really heat soaked sitting at the very top of the IM. Moving the MAP (connected to the IM with a vacuum line) to a cooler location like the battery box would give you more reliable temp readings.

jperls

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
If you look at the GT350 and GT the heat extractors are in the front of the hood, the air-flow across the hood back to the windshild then is sucked under the hood and flows to the front.
And that is another reason why I don't like the design...its too inefficient and cumbersome. My hope is this would streamline the process. In addition, some studies have shown that if you place the extractors just right...radiator efficiency can be improved.
Sponsored