Paint protection..Xpel, Suntek, or 3M pro

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
researching what protective film I want to go with on my R. I see Xpel has pre cut kits. Is that an easier way to go or should I just get the rolls and cut. I will do myself. Just curious on best film and easiest application. also what prep is needed to get the car ready for the film?? I have read a few threads that are out there just want to get more updated opinions etc. Thanks.
Sponsored

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
researching what protective film I want to go with on my R. I see Xpel has pre cut kits. Is that an easier way to go or should I just get the rolls and cut. I will do myself. Just curious on best film and easiest application. also what prep is needed to get the car ready for the film?? I have read a few threads that are out there just want to get more updated opinions etc. Thanks.
Have a pro install it, that's what I did. The pre -cut kits only have a half hood, the guy that did mine custom made a full hood piece.

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
^^^^^ what he said. I had my whole car done. It is not easy to do. I believe [MENTION=21736]snaproll[/MENTION] did his own xpel install and I believe it wasn't easy.

Of the 3 choices, I went with xpel.

I don't know what prep is done prior to application, but I've read a lot of people will clay bar the car before turning it over. I didn't do that. I have the factory paint covered over as it was. It looks great

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Xpel has a full hood kit now. Other issue is my R has stripes so not sure about how I want to go about that. Want the car protected as good as can be though so...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Sponsored

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

xXANCHORMONXx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Have you searched? There are over 100 threads asking this same question which is how I made up my mind.

OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Have you searched? There are over 100 threads asking this same question which is how I made up my mind.
Yes I have. Have been on this site a long time. The differant products have been out for awhile and wanted updated opinions.:thumbsup:

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I have Suntek on my GT350. The compete front end of the car has been wrapped (i.e. all of the front section by the grill, all of the hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors). I had my detail shop do it and they used a Sunteck precut kit.

I have stripes on my car and they had to cover the stripes separately from the body panels to avoid air bubbles at the seem of the stripes (the kit cones this way). I had the shop do paint correction to the paint before installing the film. Once they were done installing the film they then ceramic coated it. As I have cleaned the car from time to time I can see where the film has stopped a number of rock chips that definitely would have chipped the paint.

Lightning Blue GT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Duey
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350 #H2996, 12 FX35, 09 G37S
I had my front cap (front bumper to A pillers hood was one piece) Xpel done on mine by a professional they do the paint corrections first, clay bar it and lay the film down. I would tell you to have them do it. I was doubting it when I got mine back I thought I had a few bubbles in it but the guys at "EAS" in New Orleans they promised me they would go away within a week they were gone those guys are the S@1T!! after they were done with the film they put the coating over the whole car.

Sponsored
OP
OP
jefc73

jefc73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff GTFO_0019
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I have Suntek on my GT350. The compete front end of the car has been wrapped (i.e. all of the front section by the grill, all of the hood, fenders, headlights, mirrors). I had my detail shop do it and they used a Sunteck precut kit.

I have stripes on my car and they had to cover the stripes separately from the body panels to avoid air bubbles at the seem of the stripes (the kit cones this way). I had the shop do paint correction to the paint before installing the film. Once they were done installing the film they then ceramic coated it. As I have cleaned the car from time to time I can see where the film has stopped a number of rock chips that definitely would have chipped the paint.
What was the dealer name? Want to see if they will sell me the kits. [MENTION=31525]loco_GT350[/MENTION]

loco_GT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
Vehicle Showcase
What was the dealer name? Want to see if they will sell me the kits. [MENTION=31525]loco_GT350[/MENTION]
My detail shop subbed out the PPF work to another company. I don’t know who the other company is as the detail shop said they will be the guys to warranty the PPF as I did it as a package deal with them for paint correction, ceramic coating, and PPF.

I do know you can but the PPF kits directly from Xpel on their website. Here is a link.

http://www.xpel.com/paint-protectio...rucks/2017/Ford/Mustang/Fastback/Shelby_GT350

wasserott

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 LB WS
I installed on my own using 3M Pro. It came in pre-cut sheets. Great product, do some web searches on the self-healing properties.

About $600 for product and tools...front, behind front fender, rocker and bottom of doors, front of rear fender and mirrors.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I used STEK film this time around and could not be happier. Glad I switched over from xpel thus far. Definitely wouldn't try it myself unless you're only doing simple areas.

PrISM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I had a local installer do a Suntek full front on mine and then CQuartz over the entire car afterwards. I'd definitely recommend having a pro do it, unless you have endless patience and want to attempt it yourself.
Sponsored