Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I certainly agree with your comment but once the 2017 R's are done which should not be too long from now where do you think the market will go for the 2018 R's as I suggest there will be quite a big time line gap between the end of the 2017 R model production and when the 2018 R's start to appear?

:shrug:
I stopped by my dealer today to sign the contract on the other car. I spoke with a sales manager who told me they were taking orders for expected allocations that were going to come.

I mentioned that I have friends who were interested in an R and inquired about ADM. I was told 15K. They would not entertain a 10K nor a 5K ADM.

Until news of a GT500 release or a forecast of MY18 production numbers come out, I don't see MSRP R deals.

I feel the invisible hand as written by Adam Smith (the wealth of nations) is in full swing. The market is fluid and right here, right now, supply exceeds demand.

The future is another story. Harry is correct. Again, my crystal ball is in the shop.
Sponsored

96cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350R
I stopped by my dealer today to sign the contract on the other car. I spoke with a sales manager who told me they were taking orders for expected allocations that were going to come.

I mentioned that I have friends who were interested in an R and inquired about ADM. I was told 15K. They would not entertain a 10K nor a 5K ADM.

Until news of a GT500 release or a forecast of MY18 production numbers come out, I don't see MSRP R deals.

I feel the invisible hand as written by Adam Smith (the wealth of nations) is in full swing. The market is fluid and right here, right now, supply exceeds demand.

The future is another story. Harry is correct. Again, my crystal ball is in the shop.
Dealers are out of touch. They got a taste of the high ADM's a year or so ago, and it was like tasting blood. It made them crazy. Add the Raptor and Focus RS ADM's over the past year or so, and they all feel like they are doing customers a favor selling cars now. I have seen more cockiness coming from dealers now than I've ever seen in the past, and it's just plain sad that it's come to this.

That R will sit 6-8 weeks (maybe longer if the dealer likes looking at it and bullshitting every customer that says something about it) while rejecting what, 50-100 potential buyers before the price comes back down to reality. I guess for them, they aren't losing much on hoping that one person who just doesn't care and has to have it now just pops in.

Oh well, let it sit!!

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Dealers are out of touch. They got a taste of the high ADM's a year or so ago, and it was like tasting blood. It made them crazy. Add the Raptor and Focus RS ADM's over the past year or so, and they all feel like they are doing customers a favor selling cars now. I have seen more cockiness coming from dealers now than I've ever seen in the past, and it's just plain sad that it's come to this.

That R will sit 6-8 weeks (maybe longer if the dealer likes looking at it and bullshitting every customer that says something about it) while rejecting what, 50-100 potential buyers before the price comes back down to reality. I guess for them, they aren't losing much on hoping that one person who just doesn't care and has to have it now just pops in.

Oh well, let it sit!!
While I despise ADM I can't fault the dealers. From what I was told they get 1 R allocation for 2017. Two if they're a 5 star dealer or whatever Ford calls it. That means they have a very limited opportunity to capitalize on a somewhat captive market. What do they have to lose.. sit on it for a year even. This community is advising a member to list a used 2016 above MSRP - and at same time complaining about adm lol.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I wasn't crazy about TY until I saw one in person and then got to drive it.

For me when seeing this color in person gave me a whole different perspective and like it much more than some of the other colors offered.

:clap2:
You are invited (again). Bring the wife and we will do a shrimp boil and drive R's.

Your advice and perspective is appreciated Harry.

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I wasn't crazy about TY until I saw one in person and then got to drive it.

For me when seeing this color in person gave me a whole different perspective and like it much more than some of the other colors offered.

:clap2:
Tom, here is a couple of pictures of my first encounter with a TY R model (PP003) and fell in love with not only this great car but also the outstanding color combination after driving it.

Been trying to get Ford to sell me PP001 (Black/Black) but they are not budging so far.

In my books you got a real winning combination and congrats on landing your TY R model!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
PP003.JPG
PP003-1.JPG
PP003-3.JPG
PP003-2.JPG

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Tom, here is a couple of pictures of my first encounter with a TY R model (PP003) and fell in love with not only this great car but also the outstanding color combination after driving it.

Been trying to get Ford to sell me PP001 (Black/Black) but they are not budging so far.

In my books you got a real winning combination and congrats on landing your TY R model!

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
Harry,

Thanks for the compliments.

As for PP001 as well as PP003 above...

IIRC, you scored a few 302 PP's at local dealers just by chance, correct? I do seem to recall a PP at (Manheim auction I believe?) a while back, however I am not sure it was an R, I believe it was a track pack. Is Ford holding on to the R PP models?

It sure would be great to score one of those. I'd take any PP, however #1 would be a solid investment. Think about how much that will be worth down the road. It looks like you have some arm twisting to do. Maybe when all the hype dies down.....

Just make it known to the powers at be that you would like that car and hope that Jay Lenno isn't asking about it as well. :D

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Congratulations Tom. Thanks for telling the story. Good to be fluid and liquid in such nogitiations!

Can't wait for the side by side pic of your two Rs :thumbsup:

Kurac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
What does the PP stand for? Assuming preproduction models?? If so, what years are these cars? 2015's?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
What does the PP stand for? Assuming preproduction models?? If so, what years are these cars? 2015's?
Pilot Production typically, so essentially pre-production models yes. I would imagine they would be 2015's yeah, and may even half one or two small things that are different from the production models, making them very valuable and rare indeed.

Good luck in scoring one Harry! :cheers:

Sponsored

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
PP0002 061.jpg
Over the last number of years Ford has produced pre-production cars as in the GT500's and Boss 302 cars with it being very easy to determine a pre-production car with the Boss cars based on the chassis plate on the intake manifold.

Generally at Ford there are 4 levels of pre-production cars and they start out as VP (Variable Production and no VIN), TT (Tooling Tryouts and come with a VIN but generally destroyed in almost all cases), PP (Pilot Production and in many cases destroyed as was the case with 7 of the 12 PP Boss cars) and then MP (Mass Production cars that generally go to journalists and Ford employees).

Because of liability issues many and if not most pre-production cars are destroyed and cannot be released to the general public without 2 Ford engineers signing off on each car.

As far as PP cars for the new GT350's it was explained to me that for the 2015MY that Ford did not produce any PP cars for that model year and decided only to produce PP cars starting the 2016MY.

If you look at the VIN for PP003 you will see that it is a 2016 based on the VIN G5200139 with the VIN for PP001 being G5200165.

Just goes to show us that even though PP001 was built first it has a later VIN with the Vin's being assigned randomly.

Aside from the chassis number an easy way to spot a Pre-Production GT350/GT350R is by the VIN as they all start with 200XXX.

All of the Pre-Production Boss 302 cars started with 199XXX.

;)

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I put her up on race ramps and went to work cleaning her up. I installed Steeda Jack rails, took off the fiberglass aero panel, verified the oil filter, and did an overall inspection.

First the Steeda jack rails.

Next, inspected the oil canister

Next, inspected the underside for any irregularities and a clean up.

Overall, I'm happy. I did come across a paint imperfection that will require warranty work. It's minor, just a small bubble at the leading edge of the hood on the underside. Probably just a touch up.

I am looking at pricing for a full wrap. I am contemplating wrapping the roof black and clear for the rest of the whole car. The stripes are matte black, so they will probably have to be done separately.

Next, I plan to put the oil catch cans in, install tow hooks, splitter, and look into a roll bar and harness. For street use, I have a set of 6gr wheels in R spec with 305/325 setup of continental conti force contacts. I used these tires at the last track event and thought they were excellent. When they are shot, I will probably just transition over to Michelin Pilot Super Sport 4's, but in the mean time, the conti's will be fine.

Pic of one of the 6gr wheels on my old white track pack

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Update:

I contracted with a PPF installer in the Orlando area to do a full Xpel ultimate wrap on my car. I am going with Xpel ultimate over the paint, Xpel stealth (matte) over the stripes, and having the stripes removed from the roof and wrapping it in black.

The trek over involved over an hour drive on highways and I was concerned about rock damage and paint chips. I got some blue painters tape and over the course of about a half hour, proceeded to tape her up to protect her on the drive over.

picture.jpg

She arrived safe and sound and now the wait begins. I should have it back in a week or so and now the waiting begins.

Yesterday, I received my order from ZL1 addons. In the package was a featherlight tow hook, aluminum tow hook bracket, rock guards, and splitter washers.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

picture.jpg

John, the owner did not have titanium tow hooks at the time of order. Instead, he agreed to ship out the featherweight hook and replace it down the road when the titanium hooks are in stock. I plan to install the parts as soon as the car is back from PPF. The splitter still has not been installed, and this should make the tow hook installation much easier.

The only concern I have with the parts was the aluminum bracket. It seems that it is of great quality, but the bolt holes that are countersunk into the aluminum seem very deep, not leaving a lot of meat where the bolt connects to the bumper frame. I measured with a set of calipers and found the load bearing surface to be only .1" thick. I'm sure some engineering went into this and we are dealing with a piece of billet aluminum. It is still worth a call to get an assurance that the tow hook bracket will not rip off the bumper frame under heavy load.

Edited to add:

I just got off the phone and there is no load bearing on those two bolts, they are simply to hold it in place. Load bearing for a tow is supported by a cross member which is part of the bumper assembly.

picture.jpg

H6G

IN OMNIA PARATVS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
Congrats!!! Looking forward to the side-by-side pics.
One a side note.... those ZL1 carbon steel washers for front splitter.....are priceless!

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Some more Photos I dug up on the day of the sale......

First is the photo of my old track pack while checking the oil and getting her ready to hit the road.

picture.jpg

Next is a few side by side shots just before I saw my track pack for the very last time.

picture.jpg

picture.jpg
Sponsored