Sponsored

coilover recommendations...

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Looking for recommendations for a new coilover setup... married or unmarried in the rear. I'd like a price point around $3500'ish +/-... compression and rebound if possible.
Looking at MCS now, are there any other players in the "quality" suspension game? Jri?
Sponsored

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
Thanks anyway...

well for the price range you're at its the upper end of coilovers and you won't get much better than KW (infact I doubt any better apart from specific track only setups)

Sponsored

bluepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue S550
do you guy think the KW V3 is better or the Clubsport 2 way is better?
The clubsport does not have warranty like the V3 I think

hinch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sideways
cs2 is way better [MENTION=13598]Gibbo205[/MENTION] has cs2's if he see's this i'm sure he can come and give you the run down

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
do you guy think the KW V3 is better or the Clubsport 2 way is better?
The clubsport does not have warranty like the V3 I think

V3 is a monotube damper with lesser spring rates. Great setup and spot on for road and hobby track days or auto x.

Clubsport is a twintube damper, higher spring rates, top mounts etc. Fantastic compliance on the road, spring rates a touch firm for the wet but very predictable. Proper track setup as well.

My car is a road car in the UK and the CS2 is superb, the car has amazing comfort, composure and compliance, warranty is irrelevant anyway because KW rebuild the dampers for a small fee should you have an issue but these damper quality are very high, should do 3-5yr trouble free or around 60-100k miles. Got a set on my M3 race car and after 50+ track days, 30,000 miles and around 5yr old, on a damper dyno they were still spot on, no need for rebuild.

Expensive but complete kit and nice quality, my only complaint is the springs in the rear are progressive making them very heavy.

Sponsored

bluepony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue S550
V3 is a monotube damper with lesser spring rates. Great setup and spot on for road and hobby track days or auto x.

Clubsport is a twintube damper, higher spring rates, top mounts etc. Fantastic compliance on the road, spring rates a touch firm for the wet but very predictable. Proper track setup as well.

My car is a road car in the UK and the CS2 is superb, the car has amazing comfort, composure and compliance, warranty is irrelevant anyway because KW rebuild the dampers for a small fee should you have an issue but these damper quality are very high, should do 3-5yr trouble free or around 60-100k miles. Got a set on my M3 race car and after 50+ track days, 30,000 miles and around 5yr old, on a damper dyno they were still spot on, no need for rebuild.

Expensive but complete kit and nice quality, my only complaint is the springs in the rear are progressive making them very heavy.
Thanks Gibbo! Can I ask why do you think the CS2 is better than the V3. My car is mostly spirited road driving and occasional track weekend (maybe twice or 4 times a year). Doesn't the extra adjustability make it better for road use? And isn't monotube better than twintube?

I understand the V3 has helper spring but are the rear Springs also progressive? I was reading further into this and am leaning towards the V3. When you installed yours, were the top mount necessary for the V3 or I can use stock top mount? Will a BMR/Steeda camber be compatible with it?

By the way, how much does KW charge for rebuild of the items? I am from Australia so I need to work it out because shipping would probably cost more than repair cost :)

Last edited:

Gibbo205

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
UK 2015 Mustang & BMW E46 M3
Thanks Gibbo! Can I ask why do you think the CS2 is better than the V3. My car is mostly spirited road driving and occasional track weekend (maybe twice or 4 times a year). Doesn't the extra adjustability make it better for road use? And isn't monotube better than twintube?

I understand the V3 has helper spring but are the rear Springs also progressive? I was reading further into this and am leaning towards the V3. When you installed yours, were the top mount necessary for the V3 or I can use stock top mount? Will a BMR/Steeda camber be compatible with it?

By the way, how much does KW charge for rebuild of the items? I am from Australia so I need to work it out because shipping would probably cost more than repair cost :)

The clubsport damper is a higher quality unit, monotube VS twintube, plus and negatives of both.

Clubsport 2's are a linear front spring and a progressive rear spring, front has helpers, rear does not.

CS2 are height adjust, rebound adjust, compression adjust, same as V3 I think, main differences are spring rates, top mounts included and damper technology.

Having them on my car, I am over the moon with them, not driven a car with V3's so cannot compare but am sure they are great too. KW are superb and on the Mustang they work very well. KW make the dampers for the Roush and Vogtland coilover setups too.

OP
OP
Schu

Schu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550GTPP
Id like to see a dyno of the clubsports... probably not as impressive you might think.

job

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
74 Capri, 85 Audi, 2005 Dodge 2500,2017 GTPP
Ohlins R&T
The details are still being finalized, but they are on schedule for production. It should be about $2700, and available in October 2017. More information will be released at SEMA, I’d imagine.
Sponsored