Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
I wouldn't say 100%. There's still a slight gap there, maybe a 1/16". I'm still going to say the two center "45 degree" M4.2x25 screws are too long. Even pushing the splitter up and in while driving them in, they want to dig in to a portion of the fascia that I don't think they should be. I believe this wants to push the splitter down and away from the fascia lip. I'm thinking that it might be a good idea to try to coerce them to drive up at a little bit steeper angle than they might want to naturally thereby getting them to clear that bit of the fascia tab that they're hitting. That, or get shorter M4.2 screws. 20mm might be too short. I don't know if there's something in between. The key thing is to get that tab near the center to seat in the fascia hole. Bottom line, you can't see the slight gap when standing near the car or at any appreciable distance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
The only tools Steve left out were the Ipad to follow the video and the 12 pack of Corona when you are doing this without a lift. I would like to have a word with the person that designed the four white clips!

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Hehe! Yeah, I kept running to my office to watch the video and finally broke out the ipad and took it in the garage. Good call.

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
I definitely installed mine. I was not about to let the dealer install after hearing some stories on blogs.

Sponsored

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Those half moon clips did suck ass!

Last edited:

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Can't you get some Bolt Cutters and nip the tips of the screws? They should still be narrow enough to thread and not be too long.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Hehe! Yeah, I kept running to my office to watch the video and finally broke out the ipad and took it in the garage. Good call.
Thanks for the in-depth tutorial on the front splitter Steve. I'm headed out to the garage right now!:thumbsup:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Those half moon clips sis suck ass!
Oh yeah, what a PITA they were. I figured out half way though that being gentle with it was not very effective, really had to go at it with the rubber mallet to get things to line up. 6 minute install video, 2hr install lulz. I was lazy and did not jack up the car, big mistake, basically impossible to get those 45 degree screws. Once I jacked it up it was much easier

Sponsored
OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Not to let the lazy tech that did mine off too easy, but it seemed to me that the screws in the outer wings were more than enough to hold them (very) securely in place. Does anyone that did the install themselves disagree with that? I ask because I'm wondering if I should somehow get the half-moon clips and install them.

ThreeFiveO

Chassis #1356
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Gt350 Track Pack
You could probably get by without them. If you see any shift between fascia and splitter wing then you could add them later. Your sanity will be intact if you don't use them. Two of the clips went in easily. One with difficulty and the last took about 30 minutes with every set of needle nose I had in the toolbox.

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Dealer Incompetence

Not to let the lazy tech that did mine off too easy, but it seemed to me that the screws in the outer wings were more than enough to hold them (very) securely in place. Does anyone that did the install themselves disagree with that? I ask because I'm wondering if I should somehow get the half-moon clips and install them.
My splitter looks exactly like your "before" picture you had posted. Further inspection underneath also revealed several loose fasteners, one was almost backed all the way out. My dilemma is that I need a lift, similar to Shelbyman's, due to my advanced years. There is no way I'm going to give the dealer another chance to F it up even worse. They probably never even heard of a Newton Meter Torque Wrench. :frusty:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Possible, although i'm guessing the half-moon clips help to push the outer wing back far enough to actually get the rear screw holes to align and will come into play if you happen to snag the outer section on some hard immovable object. They would have been a piece of cake on a lift with the wheel removed like the video shows, a bit tough with the wheel in place and trying to create leverage with the coolers in the way (both sides on my car)

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
That's a good point. If the wings aren't as far back as they can go it looks like it might affect the center piece installation since it overlaps the wings, which in turn might affect that center tab. I like ThreeFiveO's suggestion that I retain my sanity until such time as it might be an issue. If the center piece ever comes out of that center tab and I have to readjust again I'll reinstall the wings and half-moon clips as well.

For those of you who are thinking about doing this, I found the advice to use paper (Video dude uses paper and so did I) or tape to hold the 45 degree screws in the socket very useful.

This is the pic of the car over on another web site (my first post was mistaken) that I saw a week or so ago. It seems to be a common issue on dealer installed splitters.
xIMG_0754-Edit.jpg
Sponsored