JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Splitter

Looks like the Center of the Splitter is jutting out a bit further than the right side. Maybe wasn't hammered in all the way.
IMG_0607.JPG
Sponsored

OP
OP
Steve68

Steve68

Mr. Robot
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt, 2018 Jeep JLUR, 2020 F-150
Do you have photos from before that might show the install was incorrect?
Agreed. The first thing anyone should do after having the dealer do work that requires removal/reinstallation of the splitter is check it for proper installation and take photographs, IMHO.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Looks like the Center of the Splitter is jutting out a bit further than the right side. Maybe wasn't hammered in all the way.
I guarantee this was the case. While I will not try to defend Ford or lazy techs, I found the Ford video helpful, but does not cover how to correct if it does not snap into place.

I had to fix mine after the recall and found out using a rubber mallet, rag etc was still not enough to properly seat the tabs into the facia. I had to get really creative doing this on my own.

I ended up taking the belly pan back off and putting forward pressure on the fascia where the tab(s) engage while simultaneously pressing the spitter tabs through the holes until they positively locked into the fascia.

I can say the hammer method worked for all but 2 tabs on the drivers sude outbard locations. I was getting really frustrated and was not being bashful with the it. The fascia just kept flexing too much so I had to resort to backing up the area on that side. This was not possible with the belly pan on. So yes, you can in fact reinstall the belly pan after installing the leading edge of the splitter.
I'm glad I did this because I was about 90% sure it was locked into place. That said I believe the techs who have no equity in the final product actually believe they had installed the splitters correctly.
For the dealer techs... Lazy? Incompetent? Don't care? Maybe. In a rush? Yep. It's how they make money.

What needs to happen is Ford should issue a visual or physical QA check to be signed off by a master tech before it leaves the shop. A go/no-go gauge would be nice. But maybe if they just pull on the thing after to check, they will find what I did and it was not seated correctly. I assure you a bigger hammer (BFH) would have broken the fascia if would have hit it any harder.

I blame tolerance stacking and design flaws on this whole fiasco. But poorly trained techs and crappy tech data just makes it worse.

Going to get the recal? Take detailed pics before and refuse to accept if it is not right. Or just take off the splitter before taking it in.

firefisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Its possible. I was never aware of the splinter issue, so never really paid much attention to it. When ever I washed the car, I never noticed anything afoul. But its possible it was not installed correctly when I purchased it.
I purchased it in PA and drove it home to New York. Drove car about 3000 miles and never had issue.
Its only when the recall was done that the splitter became loose. and partially fell off. The Dealer that did the recall is located in New York and they told me that they watched the video and installed it properly.

Sponsored

firefisher

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Mustang
Agreed. The first thing anyone should do after having the dealer do work that requires removal/reinstallation of the splitter is check it for proper installation and take photographs, IMHO.
Great advice. I will insist that when a new one gets installed they let me watch the installation and if not, let me see the parts they have to reinstall the splitter and I'll insist the manager let the installer watch the video.

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Dealer missed the nose of my splitter as well and became more pronounced after driving it a few hundred miles and a better inspection. I'll get that done and oil first oil change.

Comfort

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 17 GT350R base,18 GT350R
I'm having problems with dealer taking responsibility for bad install. I have pictures for detailed proof. Anyone on here able to help me resolve this? Hate to pay for something so obvious. Thanks!!

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Help

I'm having problems with dealer taking responsibility for bad install. I have pictures for detailed proof. Anyone on here able to help me resolve this? Hate to pay for something so obvious. Thanks!!
You might try Ford Performance Customer Service in Dearborn. Maybe they'll have suggestions.

oldmachguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Installed my R Splitter

Finally got the R to the house, installed BMR low profile jacking rails (excellent product), put it up on stands, and installed the R splitter.

It was a bit of a PITA.

Right off the bat, I fumbled the install of the first black j-clip, which shot back into the upper side of the belly pan. Had to remove a bunch of screws, pull down on the belly pan, and use a telescoping magnet to retrieve it. (I should have used a mechanic's glove, since I had smashed the tip of my index finger the day before . . . but it was hard to be that patient when I was anxious to start driving the car.)

Then the two center tabs with J-clips, that are supposed to slide over the 45 deg. mounting points, would not extend far enough to line up with the holes - at least, not without some work.

After those two hiccups, the rest was pretty straight forward. There was only one screw that would not go into its j-clip (the passenger side hole that gets one of the two round, fancy, plugs).

Bottom line, it's easy to see why dealerships are botching these installs. Doing it right is directly proportional to how much the result matters to the installer.

Sponsored

Etchhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350R
Getting dealer to re-install my splitter tomorrow

brourob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
Hey guys, this actually is a real safety issue. Both me and a friend were driving ours on track and his splitter came lose and flipped under the car at 125mph. Checking mine, it had come partially loose. In both cases the dealer had not installed the 4 screws that come in from the bottom at 45 degree angle.

I highly recommend that you check to make sure all 8 screws are installed and the tabs are in the slots.

Hwy. Chile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Does anyone have a list of the fastener parts needed; part number and quantity? I have my uninstalled splitter but no hardware. Thank you and thank you for this good thread. My car was shipped to me from an out of state dealer with the splitter in the trunk without hardware.

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
Does anyone have a list of the fastener parts needed; part number and quantity? I have my uninstalled splitter but no hardware. Thank you and thank you for this good thread. My car was shipped to me from an out of state dealer with the splitter in the trunk without hardware.
Here ya go.
IMG_0647.JPG

Hwy. Chile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Thank you. So helpful. I've driven the first 500 miles without a splitter and am going to bite the bullet soon and try to do the install.
Sponsored