Thank You Ford

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
For the umpteenth time, Ford Performance Parts is not Ford. Yes Virginia, there is indeed a relationship. But these "fixes" are from FPP and not Ford.

From FPP's parts catalog, a snippet. Note the bolded portion...

Don't hold back, say what you really mean :D
Sponsored

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
No connection at all. It isn't like the former s550 platform chief engineer runs Ford Performance.

I like to tell myself it was some sort of engineering solution Ford Performance thought they owed customers for an enthusiast vehicle, but I'm sure the true motivations are something a little less interesting. I'm skeptical either of these parts kits were a smart business decision.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No connection at all. It isn't like the former s550 platform chief engineer runs Ford Performance.
And then there's Virginia.

Yes, I tried to be clear about it because yes, there's an association. Nobody denies that. To be blunt - Ford Performance Parts are not the same as those from Ford Parts and Service from both a corporate perspective and/or a legal perspective even though they may indeed be the exact same part. Ripe for challenge in the legal arena? Absolutely. In the meantime, and in the context of this "fix" from Ford Performance Parts, this is not Ford's fix.

mkonrad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
I was thinking Porsche America actually.

This is my first SVT, and I've often wondered just how much they can do without Ford. They're repackaging Ford parts into a kit. I find it unlikely the Shelby program could exist at the level it delivered the GT350, or any vehicle, without a lot more than a nod from Ford. They may have a clear roadmap of their own, and numerous racing efforts that are separate, but are they just like a Shelby America? Because if so, I believe Ford Performance would come up short, and they have a highly favorable/advantageous relationship with Ford no one else can duplicate.

So I'm fine with thanking Ford Performance, but I'd be surprised if we don't have to thank Ford too.

All those parts-in-a-box for the coolers seem to be sourced in very small numbers, giving credence to a stronger separation though.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I find it unlikely the Shelby program could exist at the level it delivered the GT350, or any vehicle, without a lot more than a nod from Ford. They may have a clear roadmap of their own, and numerous racing efforts that are separate, but are they just like a Shelby America?
"Shelby" is a mere name that Ford chose to add on this car. This is Ford's baby aside from a contract for a royalty fee, 100%.

The last pre-title vehicles Shelby was involved with were the GT500KR cars in '08/'09. After that, anything coming from Shelby out in Vegas is post-title. I can't speak to the two seat Cobra's (etc) they do, especially after the feds decided to give small manufacturers some breathing room, but rather any Mustang involvement.

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated

I like to tell myself it was some sort of engineering solution Ford Performance thought they owed customers for an enthusiast vehicle, but I'm sure the true motivations are something a little less interesting. I'm skeptical either of these parts kits were a smart business decision.
There is no business decision. The parts were and still are always available for 6 months They just put a part number together for the kit.

OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
No... for diff kit they came up with a new pump, lines and bracket, new sensor kit, wrap a new harness. All for maybe 300 kits. So I don't think they will make any money, even though the kit is expensive. So not a business decision? I think the value is PR.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I'm impressed that Ford provided the cooler fixes for the 15/16 tech cars. Lets not debate the cause, all parties share blame.
Hey [MENTION=28002]cking[/MENTION]. Not debating anything but I don't know what the fuck you mean by saying anything about blame. You got yourself a '17, right? What's your interest in 15/16 Techs?

By the way, 15/16 Bases didn't have trans or diff coolers either.

This is a pot stirring, bs post.

Last edited:
OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey [MENTION=28002]cking[/MENTION]. Not debating anything but I don't know what the fuck you mean by saying anything about blame. You got yourself a '17, right? What's your interest in 15/16 Techs?

By the way, 15/16 Bases didn't have trans or diff coolers either.

This is a pot stirring, bs post.
Yes I got a 17, but I worked along everybody trying figure out if the diff cooler could be retrofitted. The workings of pump had everybody stumped. So I am happy Ford came through, I would have bet against it. Bye blame I just didn't want to rehash the law suite stuff. Yes I'm aware base and tech were not equipped. I was just trying to learn more about how all computer stuff works as a bored retired computer/network designer. So not trying to stir your pot.

Sponsored
OP
OP

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, I agree it went weird
Sponsored