Sponsored

Better traction

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What can I do to increase traction in 1st gear? I get NO traction at all and I spin completely through. I dead hook in 2nd though.

I went up against a newer chrysler 300 srt8 with fbo. He had me off the line but in a roll race I pulled like 2 bus lengths on him (with a full tank of gas, and 2 passengers).

The best 0-60 I got is like mid-high 4's if i remember correctly.

Im running mt et s/s 305s at the back
Sponsored

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
I'm in the same boat. 3.73 gears will never provide any traction in first gear on the street with the power level you are at. When I use the Whipple flight control to take 25% power out first gear, the car still makes 480 rwhp and 390 ft-lbs. This power level still won't allow me to go WOT in 1st.

3beeps

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT
Sounds like you have the tires for the job so it's all about suspension and driving. Those 3.73 gears are definitely not helping you.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
More tire or more suspension. The ET S/S are not manual friendly. For real dig traction you want the ET Street R Bias Ply.

Even then you have to find what the car likes...

Example: I was in a 3 way 60 roll with my hood rat friends and my car spun 28" tall ET Street R BP tires. At 60 MPH. You know how puckering it is to feel your rear end wobble like a drunk hooker with broken heels?

What I'm getting at is parts wont always fix your issues. You may need to plan with pressure to help them grab a bit better. If all else fails try shocks or a meatier tire to help with suspension action.

Me? I'm just going to change my rear gears to give me #alltheMPH and take some air out of my tires.

Sponsored

MyLilPony

Naw It's Stock
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT, 18 JLUR, 15 JK
I don't see you making first stick at all on the street. I have all the suspension mods you can basically toss at the car plus DR's and even at 18psi and a warm up I cant get it to hold first. Maybe on 15's you can get some grip but on 18+ you will need to judiciously use your right foot to manage traction...

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
What rim are you running those 305's on? I have them on the factory PP rims and they are way to big, going to be moving dOWN to the 285 and I bet my traction will improve, a solid 1" of the treads of the 305 aren't even touching the pavement from the overhang of the tire off the rim.

I don't really agree the MT ET SS is bad with a manual, they just need to be setup correctly. Biggest improvements to getting them to hook is ALIGNMENT (get zero camber or as close to as you can), PRESSURE (on the street I find best traction around 24-25lbs cold), and HEAT (don't just SPIN them to try to heat them up on the street, I like to do a few aggressive 3rd gear pulls and a little back and forth steering to get them warm for a 1st or 2nd gear attempt, though 1st gear prob does need a warmup spin).

Don't run the bias MT ET Street, you will feel like youre going to die above 80mph or honestly also run a high risk of crossing lanes while running someone, they move a LOT.

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I took the mustang over to Harbor freight the other day with the slicks (28x10x17) on with about 11lbs of air. Just happened to line up to a new Camaro at a traffic light... Dropped it off the twostep at 3800rpm and it hooked and went, better than it has the two times I have been to the track with them. The guy followed me in the parking lot and him and his girlfriend swore that the front tires came off the ground...

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
I took the mustang over to Harbor freight the other day with the slicks (28x10x17) on with about 11lbs of air. Just happened to line up to a new Camaro at a traffic light... Dropped it off the twostep at 3800rpm and it hooked and went, better than it has the two times I have been to the track with them. The guy followed me in the parking lot and him and his girlfriend swore that the front tires came off the ground...
:headbang:

But had you taken her up to say 90-100mph, you would agree it gets SCARY drifting and wobbling with the road imperfections?

F1scamp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT
I will tell you what, I do not have "skinnies" up front, but I do have the smallest reasonably priced 18" tire I could find and the first time I had the setup on it was all over the place, I mean all over the place at the top end of the track. I had set the alignment to what I thought would be good specs for drag racing.
Since that trip I changed the front toe and camber settings, took it back to the track and it was much, much better. But then again I am kinda used to driving high hp cars on insanely small bias ply tires. No way would I take the slicks on the highway.

Sponsored

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
What rim are you running those 305's on? I have them on the factory PP rims and they are way to big, going to be moving dOWN to the 285 and I bet my traction will improve, a solid 1" of the treads of the 305 aren't even touching the pavement from the overhang of the tire off the rim.

I don't really agree the MT ET SS is bad with a manual, they just need to be setup correctly. Biggest improvements to getting them to hook is ALIGNMENT (get zero camber or as close to as you can), PRESSURE (on the street I find best traction around 24-25lbs cold), and HEAT (don't just SPIN them to try to heat them up on the street, I like to do a few aggressive 3rd gear pulls and a little back and forth steering to get them warm for a 1st or 2nd gear attempt, though 1st gear prob does need a warmup spin).

Don't run the bias MT ET Street, you will feel like youre going to die above 80mph or honestly also run a high risk of crossing lanes while running someone, they move a LOT.

The BP ETSR's aren't THAT bad. They wiggle a bit but you just gotta keep the wheel straight and not panic.:D

Essentially I think any stiff sidewall radial is not going to be friendly to any stick car with gearing like a 3.73/MT82 car has. They can "hook", but only if you are very nice to them. For bakery stuff I would have to say they are very good tires for the majority of folks.

higdominator

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PPP
:cheers:

I run about 20psi in my Street R Bias tires for Mexico trips (no digs). That and a solid alignment make a world of difference during a 60-160 run. I also refuse to run on crap roads. #turnpiketuned

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
The bias will definitely be more manual friendly when it comes to taking shock out of the driveline and trying to keep from breaking parts. If I start going to the track I'll get some of those, but for driving around town I'm gonna get the S/S. I have a 3.31 pumpkin waiting to go in with a pulley drop once I get the fuel system and tune sorted out.

OP
OP
smann

smann

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
What I'm confused about is how the '13 GT500 hooks on the street.. with street tires. I smoked it in a roll, but off the line he had me every single time. Same thing with a c7 z06.

These cars have tons of power with street tires and they never have trouble hooking.

stang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium PP
The 3.73 gears PP cars come with is it bit too aggressive for FI cars running the MT82. I imagine the Vettes and GT500s don't have a nearly as aggressive gear ratio, which is also why the GT500s can do 62mph in first gear.
Sponsored