Sponsored

VS GT3....

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
(Not going to post this in RL since the demographic in that forum is so differenr and frankly very biased.)

I have always wanted a GT3 and with the release of the new 991.2 that comes with stick, I keep going back and forth. Reality is I could afford one now although obviously it does cost about 3 times the price and I am having tough time justifying it.

Yes I know its a porsche and its like a sock you wear, wraps around you, small nimble, build quality etc but as far as driving dynamics, sound, handling, is it really 3 tomes better?

Shelby is so cheap for what it provides and Porsche is so expensive for the same. Its like two cars on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Does anyone here own both or driven the 991 model (not .2 obviously but I m guessing for us mortal difference between .1 and .2 wont be huge)?

I drove the 997 GT3s several times and while they are wild, they are just too old and I dont see myself owning one without warranty.
Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
(Not going to post this in RL since the demographic in that forum is so differenr and frankly very biased.)

I have always wanted a GT3 and with the release of the new 991.2 that comes with stick, I keep going back and forth. Reality is I could afford one now although obviously it does cost about 3 times the price and I am having tough time justifying it.

Yes I know its a porsche and its like a sock you wear, wraps around you, small nimble, build quality etc but as far as driving dynamics, sound, handling, is it really 3 tomes better?

Shelby is so cheap for what it provides and Porsche is so expensive for the same. Its like two cars on the extreme end of the spectrum.

Does anyone here own both or driven the 991 model (not .2 obviously but I m guessing for us mortal difference between .1 and .2 wont be huge)?

I drove the 997 GT3s several times and while they are wild, they are just too old and I dont see myself owning one without warranty.
:lol: Biased on RL you have to be kidding me. They have a thread on the GT350 on the 991GT3 forum. Read all the posts and then come back here and tell us what you found out.

Peter who has been on RL since 2003

Conedodger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350-R
I own both. If I were tracking a lot I would take the GT350. Much cheaper to operate and repair and if you go off big the loss is smaller. Both cars are more than the sum of there parts which makes them special IMO. The experiences are equal. The GT350 sounds better to me from inside the cabin which is saying a lot because the GT3 sounds amazing.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I own both. If I were tracking a lot I would take the GT350. Much cheaper to operate and repair and if you go off big the loss is smaller. Both cars are more than the sum of there parts which makes them special IMO. The experiences are equal. The GT350 sounds better to me from inside the cabin which is saying a lot because the GT3 sounds amazing.
Thanks, what about handling/braking/acceleration?

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue GT 1194 RWHP
car

i own an R i sold Porsches at Champion for the past three years before i moved to New Mexico so i drove GT3's all the time build quality quite a bit better in Porsche and i love the Porsche PDK transmission you are right about cost to maintain and while the GT350 is awesome if you can swing it id go GT3

Sponsored

Mike5876

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Kona Blue GT 1194 RWHP
car

oh I know many people are praising Porsche for the GT3 with a manual but if you have never driven one with a PDK don't knock it till you have...it takes nothing away from the driving experience its a bad ass car

Mosgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I use my GT350 as a DD and also have GT3...i think the GT350 is more fun on the street but GT3 noticeably more precise / lighter /faster on track. Brakes are probably about equal..the Brembos on GT350 are pretty amazing IMO. I had a 991 GT3 but didn't like PDK and car was just not that exciting to drive - stupid easy to drive fast mind you but not as engaging as old ones so i ended up selling the 991 GT3 and getting a 997 RS :)

Can't go wrong with either - but build quality of Mustang leaves a bit to be desired. Also, make a habit of checking oil filter tightness...no catastrophe but mine did come loose during track event.

GL deciding!

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
:lol: Biased on RL you have to be kidding me. They have a thread on the GT350 on the 991GT3 forum. Read all the posts and then come back here and tell us what you found out.

Peter who has been on RL since 2003

I read every single post in that thread and have been following it since it was started. But I still would like the opinions of members here as well.

My choices are either keeping this car and spending some money on things like driveshaft, light wheels, springs OR get the new gt3 when i can get one at sticker.

The biggest turn off for me is I can never take my wife and daughter for a spirited drive with a gt3. There is no backseat. There is no childseat option. My daughter is 7 years old. 90% of my gt350 driving is either with my wife or my daughter or both wirh me. If I get the GT3, i ll be always on my own. I dont think instaling a back seat is an option since the back support is so low on the gt3 that its not safe.

That being said, gt3 is my dream car although with gt350, its a tough pill to swallow. I have the ford performance exhaust on my car and the sounds it makes and how loud it sounds is just out of this world

doz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
997 GT3,GT350
There is a long thread on this over on TMO. Just search GT3 vs GT350 comparison

There is also a video... [ame]

Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
While I have not owned a GT3, I have owned 911's and yes the build quality of a Porsche is far better but one would expect that from the start. The GT3 is and will be my target/dream car now that there is a correct and proper manual option once again. I'm not knocking a PDK but for me if there is no clutch pedal there is zero interest. The Shelby offers virtually all of the performance at 1/3 the cost and build quality and lower quality materials do absolutely nothing to detract from the driving experience. I knew exactly what to expect with it and even with poor panel gaps, sagging bumper covers, etc. for the money it is an absolute thrilling car and no regrets.

v-man

Still Plays With Cars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
gt 350 LB Black stripe
I own both I can show you why and where the money was spent on the Porsche attributing to the price difference. I just have had my gt350 for a week so I am just getting to know the car I can tell you the Porsche for no better words drives effortlessly I don't spend others money but naturally aspirated to turbo charged in my opinion is two completely different set ups I am old and love naturally breathing high reving V8 the Porsche is awesome why own one if you can afford both

jin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 Iconic Silver, 2020 GT350R Magnetic
I currently own both and while I don't track either, there is little doubt the GT3 is the far superior car for what I use it for. In not any area is the GT350 "better" IMO. You feel like you are actually part of the Porsche and it will do anything you ask of it. The build quality and reliability are outstanding in the Porsche. They care about body panel gaps. Ford clearly doesn't. I didn't think I'd like the PDK but it is truly remarkable. Shifting with the right and left fingers totally beats the left foot and right hand in my book. Never drove it in "auto" mode. Buy it if you can afford it! Be prepared to pay way over sticker if you can find one. I contacted a Porsche dealer today that has a 2018 GT3 on their floor and they wanted $40K over which put it over $200K! Most dealers allocations are sold out for the next two years with waiting lists on top. But I like muscle cars too and the GT350 fits the bill fine. I confess though, I'm on the hunt for an "R" and the "R" is one heck of a car for the price. Good luck!

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
If I could afford a brand new gt3, I would and keep the gt350 as well. Then decide down the road which to keep.
Trust me if I could do that I wouldnt post this thread:) but I already pay for an M5 and GT350. Cant give up the M5 as that insane torque, comfort, handling (for its size), physical appearance, and how understated it is (wolf in sheep's clothing) just makes it addicting. GT350 is something else too. But when you have these two, its tough to justify another car.

I could give up the M5 and GT350 and get the GT3 and a crappy daily driver (like a wrangler or explorer) but I ll be giving up so much (or am I) and I dont know if its worth it for a GT3.
Sponsored