Sponsored

Search for quietest exhaust

Rascalrider

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP Prem.
My MBRP Street is not all loud. Not as quiet as stock but sounds to me like what stock should have sounded like!
Sponsored

bigspoondude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Scion xB
If you want quiet exhaust you need to add a mid muffler. Pick something high flowing but it will really kill the volume on the exhaust.

Squall67584

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang
The Borla touring has a mid muffler. From what videos I could find, it sounded "mild", which in my mind, is more free-flowing yet not leaning close to an import 4 banger. To me, I want to avoid it sounding like an import.

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
ive watched most of the videos out there and I agree.

you guys did a good job with this.

any chance of talking you into doing a single exhaust?
Thanks! Do you mean a single-exit exhaust? If we think the demand is there, we'll consider it. I'm not deep enough into the hows and whys of figuring out if the demand is there, but if I see enough interest in it here, I can certainly relay that on.

Ummm isn't that the sane thing? Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but isn't A Y pipe a single inlet with a dual outlet?
They functionally do the same thing, yeah. Our single-in, dual-out muffler has a Y-pipe in it (just like our Tru-X mufflers are X-pipes inside of mufflers). They look like this:

MUFFLER303-2.png

But we also produce just the Y-pipes. Since they're not muffled, they're obviously going to produce a bit more sound.

10778.png

Sponsored

wmsky33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB PP 6MT Competition Orange
Here's a couple of threads of guys on here who replaced the resonator with a single-in/dual-out Magnaflow muffler. I believe both dropped the stock mufflers, but if you wanted extra quiet, you could leave the stock mufflers in. I believe the Magnaflow muffler would be less restrictive than the resonator, so I don't think you'd lose anything leaving the stock mufflers in. You could always try without the stock mufflers and add them back in if it's too loud for you.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17212
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21536

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Mishimoto did alot of research on this and their thread is very good. The stock catback actually flows really well. They gained basically nothing by changing the stock Catback and clearly said you should only change it if you want sound.

Last edited:

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
I am going to leave my catback stock. Silent service....the magic of stealth. LOL.

I prefer turbo noise anyway.

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Don't forget the stock catback also Weighs a Ton. Even the heaviest aftermarket catbacks are still a good weight savings over 65lb heavyweight stock setup.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Don't forget the stock catback also Weighs a Ton. Even the heaviest aftermarket catbacks are still a good weight savings over 65lb heavyweight stock setup.
That is a legitimate point. However, I kinda threw weight concerns to the wind when I bought a fully loaded Premium PP car. The unsprung weight actually is more beneficial to shave, i.e. light weight tires and wheels.

Mike

Sponsored

rgingo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang 2.3T/Auto/50-yr/FRT
I had been researching for several months now for an "improved" exhaust sound. I too prefer not to have a Mustang that sounds like a typical over-muffled 4 cyl 4-dr sedan. I liked the Mishimoto prototype, the Magnaflow Street and the MAP (and some others) for bringing a deeper tone and overall auditory improvement (when on the throttle) without making noise/drone when cruising (low throttle input). I went with a custom set-up....
Y-pipe welded-in to replace the overly-restrictive (and overly hot) resonator going to a pair of Magnaflows with 4" dual-walled stainless tips. Nice deep (but not loud) idle and cruise with a strong (but not too loud) engine sound when on the throttle. Sounds like a Mustang turbo now.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Thanks! Do you mean a single-exit exhaust? If we think the demand is there, we'll consider it. I'm not deep enough into the hows and whys of figuring out if the demand is there, but if I see enough interest in it here, I can certainly relay that on.
Yeah. Exhaust is a single pipe from turbo all the way back, no y-piping.

It's ricey to split a single exit exhaust into two exits. It also adds unneeded weight.

Like a 2.5" turbo back and a 3" turbo back single.

You can have resonators inline, but no Y-splits.

If you look at a lot of import turbo cars almost no one splits the exhaust. Just because Ford did it OEM doesnt mean everyone else needs to.

mbreinin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Premium.
Yeah. Exhaust is a single pipe from turbo all the way back, no y-piping.

It's ricey to split a single exit exhaust into two exits. It also adds unneeded weight.

Like a 2.5" turbo back and a 3" turbo back single.

You can have resonators inline, but no Y-splits.

If you look at a lot of import turbo cars almost no one splits the exhaust. Just because Ford did it OEM doesnt mean everyone else needs to.
It is not "ricey," it is done because Americans don't perceive anything with a single exhaust as a performance car. It is also done the world over, including most cars imported into the US. It is necessary? No, obviously. However, it helps sell cars.

Mike

lisandra

mama smurf
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lisandra
Vehicle(s)
ecoboost PP non premium
So...the more power/least noise option would be
3 inch Downpipe (cant bring myself to say uncatted)
Resonator swap with true x mufflers (y pipe inside muffler)
Stock mufflers

Tamadrummer88

Finicky
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang EcoBoost Premium
So...the more power/least noise option would be
3 inch Downpipe (cant bring myself to say uncatted)
Resonator swap with true x mufflers (y pipe inside muffler)
Stock mufflers

I think the best option would be a catted downpipe (aftermarket) and a stock catback. Have you heard the MAP downpipe with the stock catback? Sounds pretty quiet but you can hear the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored